Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    edited June 2018
    TADodger said:
    i just wondered if the whole signing up to a song list and having to 'practice' puts a few people off is all........
    I know the feeling if it does for sure.

It's very hard if inexperienced to get up there and do the "performances", especially when playing with members who regularly gig, or have decades of serious playing behind them.

It's easy to get a serious knock to your confidence as well.

I've got a young family and a job that stresses me out more than it should, and my darling wife is not friendly to the whole noisy playing/piles of gear.

End result, I often sit down and just have a quick strum or noodle for five mins, or go a couple of days without picking up a guitar at all.  It is hard to "progress" or "practice" under those circumstances.

I know I'm far from alone in this on here.

The only thing I'd say to anyone lurking is that if you can only play a few chords or hate the thought of playing in front of people, I'm sure you would still be welcome to come and ogle gear, or get tips, or for "bro hangs" (to quote uncontroversial youtube personality Chappers) and just have a great weekend out.

Life is short, and if one of the things you want to do is play music to an audience, you wont find a more supportive bunch of colleagues and audience than I've experienced at a Fretboard jam.

Edit: To make it a bit clearer than my rambling above, there is no obligation I'm aware of to play on anything on the set list
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just to prove it happens to anyone...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    @darthed1981 is quite correct - no obligations at all do participate whatsoever.

At all of the jams so far some folk have turned up to observe/chat/look at gear and suchlike - and that’s absolutely totally fine - completely acceptable. 

These sessions are for your collective benefit. Some people like to use them to play live with others - some like the one on one playing in the other rooms. Some like the social aspect.

To be absolutely honest it really doesn’t matter why you come, or what you do or don’t want to do. First time round people asked for a formal session so that people that hadn’t experienced live playing could do. So that’s what we did - and each time we have done it people seem to get a lot out of it. But I also get feedback from some that the hour they had in the practice room with x or y was the most valuable thing they have done for their playing in years.

I really do hope that the format isn’t putting people off - we were careful to be super inclusive - this is not for experienced players to show off. Nor is it for us to critique your playing. No, this is about a bunch of people who like guitars turning up in a studio and having some fun. That fun can be whatever the people who turn up want (Er, within reason!)

So, if you’ve been put off up to now then get signed up. You can come and just stand in the corner and watch - that is just as acceptable as any of the other activities. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    @Bridgehouse ; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2018
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ;;; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    Eh? 

Think you've completely missed the mark with that comment! 

It's a community / social first and foremost. If you don't want to hang out with us because we "offer you nothing" I'm quite glad you're staying away. 

Plenty of people coming that gig to a very high standard and are coming for the craic and to offer their skills to others... The bloody commies.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • The very first time I tried to play in front of anyone, I made damn sure its was a) an appreciative, friendly audience of like-minded guitar players, and b) something I had played trouble free for years.

I still fucked it up.

Now, perhaps it's because I'm a stubborn bloody minded Scotsman, but I kept at it. I'm still keeping at it, once a month at a singaround I go to in a country pub out in the wilds of Leicestershire. I'm still not brilliant and if I do play at Huddersfield I absolutely will not be showing off da skillz. I'll be hanging back and playing rhythm or a bit of root note bass or just talking through what kit I'm taking to anyone who's interested.

My point is, I'm still going and I don't care whether I enjoy the performances or not, it's about getting together with your pals (because even though hardly any of us have ever met, we still like to consider each other pals) and talking about your passion with people who share it.

It's exactly the same reason I'll probably spend more time watching the local cricket side on the town green than I will watching England on the telly.

So stop worrying about whether or not you have to play (you don't) or what anyone will think if you do (we'll think "Attaboy"), get your name down and head for Huddersfield.

See you there. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Just in case: I wasn't being critical and I've really enjoyed the two jams that I have been to so far and agree that they are very inclusive, just as has been said. But, it never hurts to be clear that people don't have to play in the set list, can play as much or as little as they want, or even not play at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    And that is the stupidest thing I’ll see on the internet today ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    FWIW although a rank amateur, I play in public three or four times a month. Sometimes acoustic, sometimes electric, sometimes bass; sometimes leading a band and singing, sometimes just being one of the crew. BUT that's in a very different context.

So for me this represents a chance to do something fun I don't normally do (playing in church vs playing 'real' songs; playing parts rather than just busking an interpretation etc). And as a relative newbie to the forum and a total newbie to the jam, I'll be cacking myself, and I won't do my best. But it'll be fun, and different. And will stretch me. Particularly playing in front of other guitarists; that will be very uncomfortable :)

• TADodger said:
    Just in case: I wasn't being critical and I've really enjoyed the two jams that I have been to so far and agree that they are very inclusive, just as has been said. But, it never hurts to be clear that people don't have to play in the set list, can play as much or as little as they want, or even not play at all.
    I don't think anyone thought you were being critical at all, and I for one didn't realise you'd already been to two, so my apologies if you thought I was being patronising, I certainly didn't mean to be.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    TADodger said:
    Wis from me :)

Plectrum said:
    So you coming or not?  On the fence?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    As above and all, 
    I imagine most of us have friends that we go to the pub with and what not.. but how many of them tend to glaze over a bit when you start talking abiut anything gear related? 
    Everyone attached the meets are on the same page, it's an inclusive, fun and supportive atmosphere.

Hi, my name's Chris and I have a gear problem.

Hi Chris, you're in the right place. 

TADodger said:
    I don't think anyone thought you were being critical at all, and I for one didn't realise you'd already been to two, so my apologies if you thought I was being patronising, I certainly didn't mean to be.
    We are all friends here.  I'm looking forward to having a beer with both of you :)
    Plectrum said:
    Well thank fuck there’s plenty to keep you occupied and away from “my” jams.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited June 2018
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ;; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    And whoopie-doo for you. 

This thread is for those of us who don't live within walking distance of Abbey Road or play with the Royal Philharmonic. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ;; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    Your blackcurrant and red berry preserve is my personal favourite...
    Plectrum said:
    Your blackcurrant and red berry preserve is my personal favourite...
    I’ll bring plenty for next time so you can have some on your toast mate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Plectrum said:
    Maybe so.

But I bet you never get to play with a load of mates.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169

Also there is a lot of pleasure for me in just being able to go into a room with a marshall and a 4x12 and get some serious volume going.
    Word.

Actually, that and the 66 Strat were the highlights at Woking.
This discussion has been closed.