Powered or Unpowered Kempler Rack

panrixxpanrixx Frets: 0
Thinking of purchasing a Kempler  KPA in rack version.  However, not sure if the powered version uplift in price is worth it.  So, looking for advice.

Would like opinions from those with either model on the merits and disadvantages of powered vs unpowered.

Many thanks in advance.

Brian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Are you planning on running it with a traditional cab? 
    Gotta factor in the cost of what ever other power amp you'd be getting too
  • panrixxpanrixx Frets: 0
    My powered amps are a MESA Stiletto Ace (single speaker) and a Fender Vibrolux Reverb - year after Black Face ended but converted to black face spec.  The Vibrolux is a two speaker amp.

I also have a Peavy KB100 but that is a 100 watt amp designed for keyboards.
  • panrixxpanrixx Frets: 0
    Forgot to mention that I also have a nearly completed twin speaker cab unit - twin 25 watt Celestials, giving 50 watts in total.
  • Good choice, you won't regret buying a Kemper. I went with powered after changing my mind half way through a two week return period with my unpowered head. I felt that the only thing that would make it better was the flexibility of a powered version. Great unit.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 67
    I have the powered head - it works great as a normal amp head - the extra cost is well worth it for having the option to use it that way.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The power head has an excellent amp in it
    through a cab it sounds great
    downside is it is mono 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Powered all the way for me, and i have owned both. It gives you the freedom to use a ‘real’ speaker can with it 
  • Powered here as well. Hardly weighs anymore than the regular Kemper and is so handy.

I will say IMO it doesn't sound as good as a valve power section into a cab but the quality and practicality means I still use just that for 80% of gigs and rehearsals.