Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    sticker said:
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    And that is the stupidest thing I’ll see on the internet today ! 
    yeah wtf is that bloke on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    pmbomb said:
    sticker said:
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    And that is the stupidest thing I’ll see on the internet today ! 
    yeah wtf is that bloke on?
    He’s obviously suffering from a superiority complex....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Plectrum said:
    Thank fuck for that, I wouldn't want to play with you anyway with a shitty attitude like that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Plectrum said:
    I’m a professional musician too (and studio owner/producer/rock god) and I love events like these jams. It brings people of all tastes and abilities together, with a shared love of playing music in all its many forms. Music is from the heart, it’s about camaraderie, and most of all fun. It’s not a competition. And if you treat it like one, then you are a bellend of epic proportions sir. 
    I get people with this attitude in my studio occasionally. They are very rarely as good as their ego would have them believe. Anyone who believes they are “too good” can, quite frankly, fuck right off.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Plectrum said:
    I’m a professional musician too (and studio owner/producer/rock god) and I love events like these jams. It brings people of all tastes and abilities together, with a shared love of playing music in all its many forms. Music is from the heart, it’s about camaraderie, and most of all fun. It’s not a competition. And if you treat it like one, then you are a bellend of epic proportions sir. 
    I get people with this attitude in my studio occasionally. They are very rarely as good as their ego would have them believe. Anyone who believes they are “too good” can, quite frankly, fuck right off.
    Problem solved @Plectrum ...it sounds like Bob has cancelled your invitation anyway.

Personally, I'm gutted.  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494

It's a community / social first and foremost. If you don't want to hang out with us because we "offer you nothing" I'm quite glad you're staying away. 

Now that's not a very nice thing to say is it? Honesty, a forum member takes the time to explain why she personally wouldn't bother with any of your jams and you come back with a comment like that? Still your post was the source of much hilarity amongst friends in the pub this evening so thanks for that  =)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodger said:
    Just in case: I wasn't being critical and I've really enjoyed the two jams that I have been to so far and agree that they are very inclusive, just as has been said. But, it never hurts to be clear that people don't have to play in the set list, can play as much or as little as they want, or even not play at all.
    I don't think anyone thought you were being critical at all, and I for one didn't realise you'd already been to two, so my apologies if you thought I was being patronising, I certainly didn't mean to be.
    We are all friends here.  I'm looking forward to having a beer with both of you :)
    Ta, me too :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Plectrum said:

It's a community / social first and foremost. If you don't want to hang out with us because we "offer you nothing" I'm quite glad you're staying away. 

Now that's not a very nice thing to say is it? Honesty, a forum member takes the time to explain why she personally wouldn't bother with any of your jams and you come back with a comment like that? Still your post was the source of much hilarity amongst friends in the pub this evening so thanks for that  =)
    You know, it would actually be nice to have a few ladies join in the jams and on the forum in general. You have surely to admit that your first post was provocative to the point of rudeness. Instead of being on a mission to make enemies, why not try to be constructive? Everyone's entitled to make their own suggestions about how these events could be made even better. Why not share yours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Plectrum said:

You know, it would actually be nice to have a few ladies join in the jams and on the forum in general. You have surely to admit that your first post was provocative to the point of rudeness. Instead of being on a mission to make enemies, why not try to be constructive? Everyone's entitled to make their own suggestions about how these events could be made even better. Why not share yours?
    We'd probably have to pay. 

Top line musicians don't do anything for free 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Plectrum said:
    Thank you for your post Bob. I'd just like to point out that

a) I've never made any claims about my own abilities (I don't regard myself as being particularly good)
    b) I've never been in a recording studio and I've no desire to record
    c) I've watched quite a few of Glenn Frickers(?) videos on YouTube so I can imagine the sort of people who occasionally come through your door. You have my deepest sympathy

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Plectrum said:
    Plectrum said:

a) I've never made any claims about my own abilities (I don't regard myself as being particularly good)
    c) I've watched quite a few of Glenn Frickers(?) videos on YouTube so I can imagine the sort of people who occasionally come through your door. You have my deepest sympathy

@Plectrum  The tone of your original post came across very arrogant, and as though you were too good to lower yourself to our lowly standards.
    I was confused by the level of negativity your post showed towards an event designed to bring people together and encourage guitarists who maybe aren’t overly experienced or confident in a positive, safe environment.
    Surely if you’re not interest you’d have been better not commenting at all. Maybe even offer some constructive suggestions at how the event could be improved, so that it may be if interest to you.
    it’s a shame you feel it’s waste of your time, there are some great people, great players, and incredible gear to meet/see. Plus, it’s a bloody good laugh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    edited June 2018
    Plectrum said:
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ;;; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.

@Plectrum  The tone of your original post came across very arrogant, and as though you were too good to lower yourself to our lowly standards.
    I was confused by the level of negativity your post showed towards an event designed to bring people together and encourage guitarists who maybe aren’t overly experienced or confident in a positive, safe environment.
    Surely if you’re not interest you’d have been better not commenting at all. Maybe even offer some constructive suggestions at how the event could be improved, so that it may be if interest to you.
    it’s a shame you feel it’s waste of your time, there are some great people, great players, and incredible gear to meet/see. Plus, it’s a bloody good laugh.
    @Sasquatch_Bob - I wouldn't bother.

I posted a reply to a few posts that suggested that some members may be put off the jam sessions because they felt they had to sign up to the formal recorded sessions during the event. A very specific comment/query about a specific group of members who (by the implication of the post) were only put off by the above fact.

However, @Plectrum decides to stroll in and address something completely different in what I took to be a rude, arrogant and irrelevant way. Fine - the jam sessions are not for them. And yes, I've considered there's lots of reasons why people might not want to come. 

It may not seem it, but they take a hell of a lot of organising - for frankly little to no reward for the organisers at all. I've considered stopping doing it many many times as I don't want the wife to kick me out and it's a bunch of stress that I honestly could do without. 

But, I do it because (I'm told) some people who do choose to come get a huge amount out of it. Anyway - thanks @Plectrum - you've reminded me once again that I wonder why I even bother organising them in the first place. If some members here think it's fine to swish into a thread like this and broadly rubbish the effort that goes into it in a patronising, rude, and arrogant way, then these jams aren't something I want to be a part of any more.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @Bridgehouse I really wouldn’t take the trolls comments to heart. Enough people here appreciate the efforts that go into making these things happen and we will end up with “core”attendees with a few newbies on each one. I will got off my arse and get to one of these even if it’s just to join the craic....... it’s a confidence crisis for me, what if everyone laughs at me etc etc Jase
    ^^ sorry - apple nicked my paragraphs
  • @Bridgehouse The troll obviously pushed a few people’s buttons last night judging by the replies, mine included.
    Don’t take it to heart. These events are great and I’ve seen how much everyone appreciates them, and the effort that goes into them.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    edited June 2018
    I think "troll" might be a bit harsh?

As far as I'm aware I don't (yet) know anyone here IRL, but what I do know is that it's pretty easy to make a tone-deaf posting on a forum, with the best of intentions. @Plectrum 's core point is valid (not everyone on the forum is going to find these things attractive because their 'needs' are met elsewhere) and could well have been offered as an objective thing in a kind of "don't get down if not everyone values the things you do" way.

OK, it was poorly expressed, but I know that I've waded in with written communications that I thought were perfectly clear (either that they were objectively helpful and emotionally neutral, or were intended to be light-hearted) only to have to spend the next week putting the genie back in the bottle as everyone goes "Woo-ah!" and dog-piles me for being a twat. Not here (not yet) but elsewhere.

It's very  hard to judge tone from writing, and it's impossible for the writer to judge the mood of the reader at the point the thing is read. So deep breaths and assuming the best until someone double-downs on arseholery can make for a gentler life (bloody hippy).

Maybe Plectrum is arrogant; maybe she just expressed herself badly. I'd prefer to assume the latter in the short term.

On the subject of the appeal of the events, as this is going to be my first I can say with absolute confidence that I love the idea of it, but there are mixed messages (particularly when read through my insecurities) as they're discussed. There's a lot of encouragement that they're supportive, and it doesn't matter if you're crap, and you can just do whatever you feel able. But there's also a handful of posts that make me think "Damn, I'd better get some serious practice in, otherwise everyone's going to be really pissed off with me and I'll have the worst weekend ever". I'm putting my faith in the first set being the accurate ones. I'll piss you all off for other reasons

Oh, and @monofin I wouldn't worry, they'll all be too busy laughing at me to get around to you

Edit to add:
    Having organised all manner of things myself I the past, I also know the huge amount of effort required, and how easy it is to feel no bugger actually supports you or cares. So @ttony, @Legionreturns , @Bridgehouse , @Sasquatch_Bob and anyone else involved in the doing of this - big thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to it. You know, in between the crapping myself that you'll all hate me and I'll mess it up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670

But, I do it because (I'm told) some people who do choose to come get a huge amount out of it. Anyway - thanks @Plectrum - you've reminded me once again that I wonder why I even bother organising them in the first place. If some members here think it's fine to swish into a thread like this and broadly rubbish the effort that goes into it in a patronising, rude, and arrogant way, then these jams aren't something I want to be a part of any more.

Lee Anderton (a man who has had his fair share of trolls) summed it up best when he made his "anti-troll" video last year, musicians are a community and should support each other.  What you have achieved with the jams is a fantastic forum for a group of us to get together, play, even get recordings so we can improve.  I'm very certain I wouldn't have had the opportunity to play with others yet without them.

@Bridgehouse you are a top bloke and if you look at some people's posting history, they seem to love to come into threads and piss on everyone's cornflakes, so I wouldn't take anything to heart
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    monofin said:
    I will got off my arse and get to one of these even if it’s just to join the craic....... it’s a confidence crisis for me, what if everyone laughs at me etc etc Jase
    If anyone does, there is an unofficial rule we beat them with a Les Paul @monofin

It's a really supportive group.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    monofin said:
    I will got off my arse and get to one of these even if it’s just to join the craic....... it’s a confidence crisis for me, what if everyone laughs at me etc etc Jase
    If anyone does, there is an unofficial rule we beat them with a Les Paul @monofin

I'll bring my R8 then :-)

Honestly, really fancy this especially as it's sat and sun.
    Just need to (a) get over my confidence issues (b) be sure I can make the time to actually learn a song
  • monofin said:
    monofin said:

I'll bring my R8 then :-)

Honestly, really fancy this especially as it's sat and sun.
    Just need to (a) get over my confidence issues (b) be sure I can make the time to actually learn a song
    Saving regular band members and Ms Plectrum, we all have confidence issues. That's what these meets are designed to address. :)

So learn what you can and come along regardless. The thing is, join in the 'other' room for practising and putting something together and you can decide from there if you want to do it in front of people. I found out the hard way that pretty much the only way to confront the confidence issue is to get out there and do summat regardless.

It's like learning to ride a bike when you're a kid. The only way to learn is to get on one and have a go. You'll fall off a couple of times, of course you will - what matters is do you get back on and have another go till you get used to it?

Oh, and there's a reason everyone at these things is so supportive of each other - because we've all been there before! :D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.