Eating crap days

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    edited June 2018
    Dominic said:
    Low carbs but huge amount of fat in the Chorizo and babybells
    Some unrefined carbs would be a lot better for you
    The weird thing is that on this diet you need the fat for fuel, if you just ate lean stuff you'd be wiped out. Apparently the science is that the body is used to using fat for fuel but our diets have changed so much that we now use carbs instead. 
    Low carb diets work because they tend to be lower in calories, and the fat and protein keep you full for longer than the same calories as carbs. We're fine with fat, protein and carbs as energy sources, the difference is that you can completely cut out carbs and still be healthy. Completely cut out either of the others and you'll get ill fairly quickly. 

My current breakfast is a thin bagel with full-fat cream cheese, a sprinkle of nuts & seeds, some cherry tomatoes and a slice of parma ham. With the sugar in my coffee that comes to 300 kcal; the thin bagel is 130 of that, and a normal bagel would add 100 more.

Or put it the other way; switching from a normal bagel to a thin one would cut out 100kcal - 25% of the calories. Switching from full fat to "light" cream cheese would only save 24... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    Isn’t that ham really tough though?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2018
    Pork Pies - I have times when I am busting for one as not done so for ages, then feel really guilty  - -same with Jam Donuts.

I am however, as we speak, dunking a Jammy cream Dodger and am not giving a flying fig!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    No, it's very thinly sliced. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2018
    Sporky said:

My current breakfast is a thin bagel with full-fat cream cheese, a sprinkle of nuts & seeds, some cherry tomatoes and a slice of parma ham. With the sugar in my coffee that comes to 300 kcal; the thin bagel is 130 of that, and a normal bagel would add 100 more.
    ermmm - - effect on the body is same as up to 12 teaspoons of sugar from eating a Bagel! Truth About Carbs BBC
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Emp_Fab said:
    No, it's very thinly sliced. 
    You deliberately sunk my funnyship!  You edited your typo and then answered my question straight.

He typed ‘Para ham’ originally.  I’m not some weirdo who thinks all ham is tough.

=) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:
    Sporky said:

ermmm - - effect on the body is same as up to 12 teaspoons of sugar from eating a Bagel! Truth About Carbs BBC
    That's pretty obviously untrue.

The sugar has no fat, fibre, non-sugar carbs or protein. The bagel has all of those. 

A normal bagel is around 220 kcal but as I posted, I have thin ones, around 120kcal; 12tsp of sugar is around 190 - more than 50% more.

If the programme said that then it was poorly researched. You can look all of the numbers up yourself if you don't believe me. 
    I admire your confidence that you can blithely dismiss as untrue the evidence presented by a nutritionist and a doctor in a TV programme you haven’t even watched.

Well done.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Emp_Fab said:
    I admire your confidence that you can blithely dismiss as untrue the evidence presented by a nutritionist and a doctor in a TV programme you haven’t even watched.

Well done.

I admire your confidence challenging his knowledge based on the opinion of a supposed expert. I'm sure you've worked in an environment with supposedly qualified people, you must have realised a large proportion of them have no idea what they are doing. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Emp_Fab said:

Confess your dietary sins.....
    Although I'm not philosophically Vegan I'm eating a plant-based diet at the moment.
    But yesterday I had some cottage cheese.
    And two packets of crisps.
    Possibly not in the same league as the chicken pie & sugar diet, but these things are all relative.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

Well done.
    I posted verifiable facts in response to a clearly inaccurate claim. 

Perhaps you would like to point out where I said anything untrue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Emp_Fab said:

Well done.
    Aren't nutritionists the ones with no proper qualifications who don't necessarily know what they're talking about?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    My nutritionist at Guys & St Thomas was pretty clued up on what I needed, Fodmap’s, Coeliac etc. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited June 2018

Aren't nutritionists the ones with no proper qualifications who don't necessarily know what they're talking about?
    Nope, [Yes, and] that's [also] naturopaths
    Nutritionists are kosher as in legit.
    EDIT:  bugger me, not necessarily so it seems.  Not a protected title.
    It's Dieticians who've got protected title and duh, now I think about it those are the ones you see in hospitals, for example.

edited June 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

Well done.

I admire your confidence challenging his knowledge based on the opinion of a supposed expert. I'm sure you've worked in an environment with supposedly qualified people, you must have realised a large proportion of them have no idea what they are doing. 
    I assume you must also apply that logic when you’re heading down to theatre for brain surgery.  After all, the surgeon is one of these ‘supposedly qualified’ types...  You’d be better off letting Sporky have a go with a chisel.  ...or has that already happened ?
    So, Emp - what part of what I posted are you disputing, or was it just a personal attack? 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Well done.

I assume you must also apply that logic when you’re heading down to theatre for brain surgery.  After all, the surgeon is one of these ‘supposedly qualified’ types...  You’d be better off letting Sporky have a go with a chisel.  ...or has that already happened ?

No, it's just that as Grunfield said, the Nutritionist title means nothing, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist without qualifications. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Love sweet and sour pork when I’ve got a hangover . Only seems nice when I’ve been on the lash the day before though. Doubt it would be any good sober.

My lass is heavily pregnant and it would be rude of me not to help her with the large bars of fruit and nut she buys everyday 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    skunkwerx said:
    My nutritionist at Guys & St Thomas was pretty clued up on what I needed, Fodmap’s, Coeliac etc. 
    Edited... shes a dietician not a nutritionalist. Lols. Im not qualified here...
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So...  Emp...

What part of my post are you disputing? 

Or was it just a cheap personal dig?