Some novice amp advice please.

What's Hot
MrTurnip'sMrTurnip's Frets: 5
I'm using a peavey classic 30 at home and it's way too much I used to play and got on with quite well. But now I've had a good eight years away from guitars it's the only thing I've kept. 

But it's way too much for where I live now plus kids appeared from somewhere and can't be waking them up in an evening. I'm 100% on wanting to keep using a valve amp it's the only thing I know and on the occasion I've used a solid state I've not liked them but that was over eight years so I'm probably being negative towards them with no justification. 

Money is a little tight but that'll be changing in a month or so. So I've been thinking a blackstar ht1r or a Marshall class 5 but then I thought maybe I could keep the peavey and use a pedal or pedals but wouldn't know where to start so that's where you knowledgeable people come in.

Sorry for the long winded post I'm rubbish at explaining myself. 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

Even ICBM like the HT-1!

Dave.

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited June 2018
    You should consider looking at modelling if its for home use only at very low volume. Far easier to get a satisfying tone than a valve amp at very low volume. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep seen a few icbm posts where he doesn't like them ha ha also seen the class 5 is hit and miss with players but the mk2 is better??..

I really don't like messing around with nobs ha ha just like simple valve amp I'll end faffing and not playing just want simplicity. 

Cheers

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    ecc83 said:

Even ICBM like the HT-1!

True :D.

Out of that and the Marshall Class 5 I would take the Blackstar every time. Better made, more flexible and better sounding in my opinion. If you can afford it I would get the head and cab (1x10" or 1x12", not the 4x8") rather than the combo. The Marshall looks cool but that's about it.

The Peavey is actually usable at low volumes with no problem though, although you may find a bit too much backgroud noise. Apart from that and the size there isn't necessarily a good reason to change - just because its's 30W doesn't mean it's too much, the master volume control works well on them.

Modelling amps *can* sound good, especially through headphones if you're wanting that, but I still think a valve amp sounds more natural and is easier to dial in. Modellers always seem to need constant tweaking - I'm not a snob about it, I own two... which is one more than the number of valve amps I currently have. (Well, one is a modeller with a valve in, but I'm not sure that counts.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Cheers all appreciated. 

So if I stuck with peavey what pedals would people recommend to get me started in the world of pedals?. 

Really need to spend some time getting some settings or a setting I appreciate. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

So if I stuck with peavey what pedals would people recommend to get me started in the world of pedals?. 

Really need to spend some time getting some settings or a setting I appreciate. 
    This is going to be a very stuck record, but look for a used Boss ME-50 multi-FX. Unlike almost every other one it's completely controlled by knobs not programmed with push-button editing, and you can use it exactly like four separate pedals. It's got a good range of effects and most of them - even some of the overdrives and distortions - sound as good as individual pedals. Plus it has a headphone output and you can connect an mp3 player etc to it. All for around £100...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited June 2018

Home or gigging?
    Home:  an ancient second-hand multi-fx unit that will actually get you every sound you want.  E.g. Digitech GNX 3000 etc.
    Gigging:  again, just things that are solid and reliable that do what you want:  modulation, delay, whatever.
    Having spent shitloads on pedals (and enjoying the hobby immensely) you realise that no punter ever noticed if you were playing with a Mooer or a Strymon.  They will, however, sense how well you can play guitar.
    The key point in this 2p's worth was if "money is a bit tight." then avoid pedal hype.

• Definitely home not got gigging ability.. Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it and I will take a lot at those multi effects boards ideally just want one or two simple pedals I get confused easy.. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm gonna be *that* guy and say try a Katana before you dismiss solid state. It does everything you want well, and will save you a ton on pedals / fx as the ones in it are very useable at home. Try the 50w or 100w (the latter also has an fx loop) at low and mid power settings and you'll be amazed. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Or a Vox AV30
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Thanks all I think I'll stick with the peavey get some more knowledge experience under my best first then hopefully I'll know what will suit me better.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    i have two valve amps, and am contemplating buying/building athird - but I also have a Yamaha THR-10c, which actually sounds great at low volume and I often play it when the little ones are sleeping.
    Quiet enough (while still sounding good) not to wake the kids up, but just loud enough to drown out the Mrs !
    I really do recommend it
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited June 2018
    Katana 50. Ok, it's solid state but it's a pretty good solid state. Easy and intuitive to use, and has a family-friendly 0.5W setting. Has a handful of voices and plenty of effects. At £175 what's not to like?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    A third vote here for the Katana 50. Been playing mine above my little girls bedroom with the mrs watching telly in the room next to mine. 
    Both have been undisturbed and I’ve enjoyed my tones.

Very easy to use, just like an amp.
    It doesn’t sound good turned up loud though so the good news is it’s got its own built in limiter for volume  ;)