Summer Fetes and Parades

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
Used to be that 'Victoria Day' in Aldershot was a visit from the Queen to inspect the troops... today it really does just involve them closing off the streets for a dozen or so knackerd old cars to process through - and yes that really is a rusty old Honda Acclaim and the council Dust Cart !

http://i66.tinypic.com/o609iu.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Wow - I knew that army funding was under pressure, but I never thought the armoured divisions would be reduced to this  :o
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    We have quite a lot of "summer parades" round this part..
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited June 2018
    Oh dear, that’s a very sad sight. We only get one annual parade round our way: there’s a Hindu temple around the corner and they take a chariot with a statue of their temple god round the streets. Cue lots of noise, music and drumming, guys literally rolling along the streets, a guy with fish hooks struck through his back, ladies in amazing costumes and feee food. It’s an awesome thing. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    we have tons, literally tons. & more added every year. our council is very pro community events.

lots to do with the paganism & the occult. hastings is is one of those kind of druidy nodes (Lewes is another). so bonfires mental, green man & morris dancing mental, solstices mental. streets blocked off all day. generally happy & fun drunkery, not bad.
    there's also a a heavier side to that, as this is aleister crowley country. so things going on on the woods. pentangles & offerings. that's a bit weird when you first come across it.

bikers love hastings so there's a major May run on one of the bank holidays when the whole seafront is just rumbling bikes as far as the eye can see. can also hear it from miles away (illegal tt racing on bypass).
    when bike day & green man day clashed the town used to go into total gridlock for the entire weekend, not even emergency services could cross the town. so they spread it out now.

though there are no official 'days', hastings is 'source' central for the south east bmx-skate scene. they sometimes host international events & conventions. not my scene but massive here.

& big food & drink festivals. seafood festival (fishing town) & beer festival.

the big ones coming up i can think of are pride parade & pirate day.

on a musical note, we also have a 'beatles' day' here, despite no obvious connection (they probably played the pier but so did everyone).
    that basically involves drunks wandering the seafront in cheap wigs & collarless jackets or sergeant pepper fancy dress, & every pub having a beatles cover band (sublime to ridiculous) on rotation for the day. 'beatles day' aka 'death by 'hey jude''.

i'm being bitchy but it might actually be fun. lots of opps for quirky cross-genre covers (thrash metal 'strawberry fields'?). i just don't get why here?
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    vale said:

i'm being bitchy but it might actually be fun. lots of opps for quirky cross-genre covers (thrash metal 'strawberry fields'?). i just don't get why here?
    There's less resistance?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    vale said:

There's less resistance?
    there may be something in that. with so many festivals & 'something days' another random can easily be slipped into the mix & no one really minds.

hastings would have been a great place for the germans to invade in ww2. the whole town would have just shrugged a bemused shrug, cheerfully assumed it was 'nazi day' & headed for the nearest bar to make a long weekend of it.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    edited June 2018
    Wow - I knew that army funding was under pressure, but I never thought the armoured divisions would be reduced to this  o
    There are some pretty scary armies out there that get by with a load of old pikey pick-up trucks with a tripod mounted machine gun on the back !