Best Budget Guitar/bass MultiFX Pedal (under £400 second hand)

What's Hot
Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
Hi everyone, not looking to buy quite yet but I'm starting Uni in september and I need something to practice with, Understandably I can't bring my valve amp and pedalboard or the people I'll be living with will want to kill me, I'm not looking for high end stuff like axefx or helix etc but I had a Line 6 floor pod plus ages ago and to call it shit is an understatement, I just need something good with decent sounds. it needs to be portable (no rack unit stuff just looking for an all in one pedal) have a headphone out for silent practicing in uni accomodation as well as be able to plug into an amp when necessary, needs to have decent built in effects, distortion etc suitable for recording assignments with a decent guitar sound, a decent tuner would be a plus too but I'm not worried about that as I have a polytune 2 mini so that will fit in my guitar case, another big plus would be if it plugs in with a standard IEC cable as opposed to those stupid power adapters that always break but I know that's unlikely on budget gear, any help anyone can give me would be really appreciated. cheers. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
    an aux in would be handy too :)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    HX effects is £430 ish new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Boss ME-50/ME-50B. Around £100 used, extremely easy to operate, and it sounds fantastic. Has a headphone out and an aux in. It does use a power adapter, but it’s a standard 9V one so easy to replace if it does break.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I thought the HX effects didn't have built in distortion etc? I have had a play with an me 50 and wasn't too impressed to be honest but at the same time they are really cheap :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    hx is a no brainer 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    edited June 2018
    S/H (ebay)

Boss ME-6, ME-50 or (bigger) one of the GT series multifx from GT-6 onwards.  Great with headphones.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    If you have a laptop handy for editing then I’d get an atomic amplifire - sounds great and takes up little space.   Just a bit awkward to edit on the unit direct.  
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    I would probably go for something like the Boss GT-001. New they seem to be around £170ish.

https://youtu.be/_i30ahxCeBQ
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2018
    The Helix HX would be a good one stop but not sure it has an aux. It has distortion models, bass and guitar fx but no amps.

A Zoom G3 & B3. Used, you'd probably get both for £200.
  • Boss GT1
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Kebabkid said:
    The Helix HX would be a good one stop but not sure it has an aux. It has distortion models, bass and guitar fx but no amps.

A Zoom G3 & B3. Used, you'd probably get both for £200.
    You can route any of the fx returns on the HX to be an aux in, put it on a separate path, control volume, eq, and add FX if you like, very flexible.  For the money there's nothing out there that comes even close
    cheers for all the replies, what do you think of the Line 6 pod hd500x?
  • Atomic Amplifire 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Hx. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Glaw343 said:
    cheers for all the replies, what do you think of the Line 6 pod hd500x?
    Not bad, it's old and not a patch on the HX, it really is a huge step up in quality and because it's new there's still firmware updates coming.  If you want amp modelling as wee a used helix LT would be a good choice
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Zoom G2R.

Small, lightweight, sounds good, batteries or adaptor, headphone out.

About £50 secondhand, leaving 350 beer vouchers.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited June 2018
    Another vote for Atomic Amplifire. Sounds brilliant, very portable.

One watch out though no usb audio so you will need a separate interface if you plan to record. Something like a focusrite scarlett would see you right. 

You could get both 2nd hand within your budget.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Boss GT-001 is a steal at £170 or so. It's a desktop version of the GT-100 - same sounds, etc. in a smaller, desktop-sized box. Pretty decent solution for the purpose you've stated, although maybe you can spend a lot less on Zoom or Line 6 and maybe still be happy.I think, like the GT-100, it has the ability to be an audio interface to your computer, too. I've got a GT-100 and it's good value for the money, albeit a little dated now. 

The GT1 is a different pedal. I've never tried one of those. 
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited June 2018
    Have you considered sticking something on the end of your existing pedalboard for the extra functionality - like a Palmer Pocket Amp?
    For an all-in-one solution how about the Nux Cerberus - then when you do have access to an amp, its still a bit of a pedalboard...
    @timbuk02 that's a great idea but I'm after something that's more easy to carry, my small board is loaded up with a voodoo lab mondo, strymons, wah etc and it's in a flightcase so it's not much fun to lug around, I really want a good multifx that i can carry around the city without having a heart attack :)