I played a Tele..

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
in Guitar tFB Trader
... the other day for the first time in over 3 years. The last time was in Dublin for about 10 minuted and prior to that it would have been over 10 years believe it or not. For some reason, they never registered with me to buy one in all those years of buying and selling (blind, I might add). The guitar in question was one of mine I had built for my brother n law. The overall experience wasn’t too shabby at all.... as I was playing it into this Rift PR18

https://i.imgur.com/R2gfWkk.jpg

I spent a lot of time on the neck to get it just right. The fretboard has damn near no finish on it at all and the back is nicely broken in. 

https://i.imgur.com/PjI6tmN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WVmPl4Z.jpg

It weighed in at a nice 7 1/2lb which seems to be a good weight for me. It certainly had some twangy low end thump going on. Over the years I’ve owned many a Strat and superstrat so to compare the tele to the Strat, in person for the first time ever was interesting. 

Feel wise, it was all there for definite. But given how much time I’d spent on this build I’d like to have thought that I hadn’t missed anything. One thing that caught me out was the position of the pickup selector... I’d need time to get used to that tbh. And a more interesting find was the neck pickup. At full whack I didn’t get on with it too well. I had to roll the volume back considerably to find my happy place. Maybe the bridge twang is where the action is on a tele? I had about 2 hours with the guitar through the Rift and tbh I’m In love with the amp. So much so that the Lonestar is going up for sale soon. 

When we were testing the tele it didn’t become apparent how much of a tele it was until we compared it to the Strat. The difference was incredible and at that point I knew it was a job well done. The tele sounded twangy, rocky as hell while the Strat sound much more “quacky” and defined. Interestingly there was only 1/2lb between the two guitars so I believe the mass of wood and the Pickups have played the main roles here. What I found cool was the tele offered my left hand some new inspiration. I was playing differently and I was finding new riffs and shapes. 

Its a shocking thing to say, considering I’m surround by teles daily but I can’t believe it’s been so long since playing one properly. I’m definitely feeling more committed to building my own one now. I’ll probably have to spend more time figuring out a neck pickup to suit my style but that’s something that can be tweaked over time.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've been saying for years t hat I will get a Tele next. There have been very few I liked as I already have several guitars, while it's a bass I play semi-professionally. I am obviously being over-fussy deliberately because of this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have a 335 copy which I couldn't part with and I tried to limit myself to two electrics but couldn't as if I only have a strat I just want a tele and vice versa.  Everyone needs a strat and a tele and a semi hollow I've decided.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've got a Strat but use it only once in a blue moon. I tried a Tele and didn't get on with it. But I lurve my 335. Everyone should have a 335, I don't mind keeping a Strat for when I need the sound of it, but I'm damned if I'm ever getting a Tele.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Lovely job! Cracking looking guitar! I'm in the process of assembling one myself- next to this it will look like a tennis racket with some sticky backed plastic on it!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Looks amazing @lonestar great job. 

I bought my Tele on an opportunistic whim, best guitar I've ever owned. Love 'em. 
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    Absolutely awesome looking guitar @lonestar ; ....i sooo want a telecaster, but i've yet to find "the one"
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I wouldn’t be without a tele after having the same epiphany about 7 years ago when I had gas funds burning a hole in my pocket and bought a classic vibe.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    @lonestar I much prefer the switch plate reversed - the selection switch at the rear and volume control at the front on a Tele. Oddly enough I like the middle switch position.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    That Tele gets a big fat WOW from me ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    is OK - you don't have to feel guilty!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Somebody will now berate and/or belittle you for this comment. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Thought this was the new Katy Perry song thread: I Played a Tele... and I Liked it
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Tbh I’m definitely thinking that Strat, tele and 335 will certainly form a good solid footing for getting a varied mix of tones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    lonestar said:
    ... I’ll probably have to spend more time figuring out a neck pickup to suit my style but that’s something that can be tweaked over time.
    That’s grounds for a thread in itself.

Rocker said:
    @lonestar I much prefer the switch plate reversed - the selection switch at the rear and volume control at the front on a Tele. Oddly enough I like the middle switch position.......
    Yep, IMO the control sequence is something Leo got wrong. Volume, Tone, Switch is much more usable.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'm damned if I'm ever getting a Tele.
    Somebody will now berate and/or belittle you for this comment. ;)
    Some people don't know any better ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I went decades without owning a Tele until just a few years ago and now I own two. I also have a strat, 335 etc. but the Tele is that important and perceft third ingredient to cover all the classic basis. Knock off a bit of tone and add a smidge of drive/dirt for a wonderful tone that can fit a whole plethora of styles and sound 'right' to the ear.
    I used to find them basic and lumpy to hold, but the sound is the thing, too many great recordings feature that sound to ignor it.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    lonestar said:
    Tbh I’m definitely thinking that Strat, tele and 335 will certainly form a good solid footing for getting a varied mix of tones. 
    Any one of those great guitars will be sufficient if you use a lot of FX pedals in the chain*

* Rocker last seen heading for the hills, carrying a dustbin lid to ward off attacks by the FX police
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    That's a great looking Tele! I've wanted one for years but I could never find one that I liked, I didn't get on with the necks, and the pickups weren't really any good for the stuff I play.
    Got myself a Modern Player Plus a couple of years ago though, and I love it! I've upgraded the pickups but that's all.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Tele...fave guitar!!
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Have a "Wow!" - that looks incredible. Great write-up, too!