2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17556
    tFB Trader
    Did a 5k for the first time in ages and managed 24:20.

Pleased with that as I've been focused on doing slower longer runs recently.

Decided I could do better and managed a 23:27 today.

Surprised I could do it, but felt like I was about to explode by the end!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I was similarly surprised, I did my usual 9 mile run including parkrun, I even made it all the way home without stopping. Best of all, my parkrun time was 23:09. I'm not sure where that came from, but I was nearly retching at the end.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17556
    tFB Trader
    I was similarly surprised, I did my usual 9 mile run including parkrun, I even made it all the way home without stopping. Best of all, my parkrun time was 23:09. I'm not sure where that came from, but I was nearly retching at the end.

Wow that's an epic time!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Did the Sri Chinmoy Sprint Tri at Portishead in biblical rain. Managed a 28:48 5km after a horribly hilly cycle. 
    first day in our new offices today. We finally have a shower, so I took full advantage and went for a lunchtime 5km run around the area. Some lovely routes, as we are right by the countryside now (and part of the Cotswold Way is right across the road)...so hopefully I can make this a regular thing, along with cycling into work as well. 

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited June 2018
    Managed a whopping 0.8 miles around the block this morning, testing my hip out after hurting it a couple of weeks ago as I hadn't ran since.

It still ached a little bit after todays short run but its definately getting better so hopefully  give it another couple of weeks I'll be good to go and getting the mileage back up!

Another lunchtime 5km. 

This time I headed straight up the hill for 1.6 miles then doubled back down the hill. Shins are a bit throbby, but felt good to get out. 

Having a shower at work is a right game changer! 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 484
    Still doing c25k.

Decided I was trying to go too fast to start off with so went back and restarted with a focus on keeping at a manageable pace. Only doing about 3km in 30 minutes at the moment but I'm more interested in actually being able to keep running for 20 minutes - speed will come later.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    3x5 miles during the week, then my usual 9 mile run this morning, including Parkrun, in sandals this week. I actually went slightly faster, 22:58, so my time 2 weeks ago was no fluke.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited June 2018
    Round 2 of my 100 grand slam done this weekend at the South Downs Way 100. Very hot and lots of big hills with 13000 feet of elevation. That was a toughie. Time to recover now and get ready for round 3 in 8 weeks time. More hills. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    incredible effort! Well done @mcsdan ;

puts my paltry 5 miles last night into perspective :D 
    Thanks. :) every run is a good no matter how long or fast. They all count. 

Whats up next for you @joneve ;
    mcsdan said:
    Thanks. :) every run is a good no matter how long or fast. They all count. 

Whats up next for you @joneve ;
    got the Cotswold Classic Middle Distance Tri in just under 8 weeks. Still only doing short runs as still struggle with my tight calves and shin pain because of it..but I'm managing it through stretching etc.

But as I said above, our new office has a shower, so I'm hoping to cycle to work at least twice a week (12.5 miles each way, with a view to extending on the way home occasionally if time permits)...with at least one lunchtime 5km thrown in for good measure, and then some swims when I get the time!..but the run routes I've picked around here are a bit hillier, so hopefully even though they're shorter, they'll benefit me for longer runs. Definitely felt quicker yesterday after doing two hilly runs last week.

I'm horribly under prepared for it (having a 6 month old hasn't helped), so I just want to get round injury free and try and post a respectable time if I can, but I don't really have a fixed target to aim for (having never done a middle distance one before)...
    Tri sounds good.  Yep, hills will help although be careful with calves since it can overload them so gradually increase.

Keep posted on how you get on with the tri :)
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Having just returned to running I am struggling with the tight calf thing.
    Both sides have gone twang since April, first one the day after buying new running shoes!
    Now on the up and steadily increasing the distance.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Managed a 10km on Saturday but 10 minutes off my average pace.

Another 2km tonight but my hip is still giving me grief getting really annoying now!

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2018
    Should I care about BPM? My average BPM seems to be around 168-165 for a 5-7km run (according to my fitbit blaze) Does that mean I am pushing myself too much? Not enough? Or is it really not worth thinking about. My daily resting BPM tends to be between 49 and 54 most of the time... I have seen formulas which suggest my running BPM could be on the high side.
    quarky said:
    Should I care about BPM? My average BPM seems to be around 168-165 for a 5-7km run (according to my fitbit blaze) Does that mean I am pushing myself too much? Not enough? Or is it really not worth thinking about. My daily resting BPM tends to be between 49 and 54 most of the time... I have seen formulas which suggest my running BPM could be on the high side.
    I never really pay attention my RHR average over the last 7 days is 55bpm and looking at my last couple of runs....

1. 150 ave. 165 max
    2.153 ave. 171 max
    3. 155 ave. 170 max
    4. 152 ave. 165 max

Run's 2 and 3 there were pretty hilly (although only 5km) Run one was 5 miles, and run 4 was a flat 5km. 

Not sure if that helps? I have no idea about heart rate. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Thanks. I think it helps. It looks like my average is higher, but my max is about the same, so I am probably not overdoing it, but could back off a little.
    edited June 2018
    Heart rate training is extremely useful to put you in the right training zone for what you are trying to achieve e.g. aerobic base, aerobic speed, anaerobic speed etc Known as HR zones.

The old way of calculating was 220-age x the zone (%age).

However it is very dated and doesn't take fitness levels into account. Useful for someone that has never trained but not if you've built some fitness.

Better way is the Karvonen formula. This uses resting and max heart rate to determine your working reserve, then applies zone %age to these. So

((Max HR - Rest HR) * zone_percentage ) + rest HR

So if Max HR is 190bpm and resting is 50bpm and you are looking for the range for your tempo pace (aerobic speed which is 82-88% and a typical 5km-10k pace)

Low range
    = 190-50 = 140
    x 82% = 115
    + 50 = 165bpm

High range
    = 190-50 = 140
    x 82% = 123
    + 50 = 173bpm

So you'd try to run between 165-173bpm.

Obviously you need to know your resting and max HR.

In a session the more time you spend in these ranges the better the stimulus. It is very easy to go off too fast and be too high or run too slow and not hit the right zone.

Interestingly the heart rate is quite predictable once you get to know it. A few months back I did a treadmill marathon pace run of 20 miles. As I pushed the pace closer to marathon pace every 15 seconds faster would add 1-2 bpm to the heart rate. When I went too fast it jumped much higher quicker. I used that to determine the correct pace which was 164-170bpm. 

Lots of material out there so have a read, try it out and see what works for you. Knowing your own zone ranges is ideal not something preset off a watch.

Hope this helps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom