Help me identify this vintage amp

What's Hot
tedtheonetedtheone Frets: 0
edited June 2018 in Amps
So, my Uncle passed away recently and he's left us all this guitar gear. In amongst it all I've found this tatty old thing - it looks like an old Vox AC30, but to me, it's a little bit taller. Does anyone know what it might be and what year it could be from? And more importantly, should I power it up and see if it plays? I don't want it to go up in a plume of smoke 
Front
Valves
Inside

hmmm...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1171
    That is an old 60s JMI ac30 that has been converted to head. But used to be a combo. You can still see the speakers cutout in the baffle.

Whoever converted it, made the head cabinet bigger then a traditional head.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I don't think that's speaker cutouts in the baffle, that's just the old cloth which has been re-purposed on a home made head shell.

Lovely thing though.
    Could be that as well, just the marks on the cloth. Either way it's definitely an old AC30. Would be good to see some photos of transformers and circuit tagboard.
  • tedtheonetedtheone Frets: 0
    edited June 2018
    Ahhh yes, a conversion! That makes a lot of sense, the workmanship on the cab it is pretty janky to say the least, like the vent slits on top look almost like they were done with a chisel! I'll try and take some high res photos of the internals tomorrow. I wonder what it's story is...and if it works. 
    Will keep you updated!

Edit: fixed the final image link which wasn't working
    Looking at the back photo I'm even more convinced that's the actual baffle with the speaker cutouts. On the right hand side of the chassis, should be a mark that allows you to know what type of model it is (treble, bass, etc.)

Would be cool to see what brand of transformers as well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Definitely an AC30 combo to head conversion.

Worse than the workmanship on the cabinet, something very odd has been done with the main filter cap - it's been disconnected and mounted upside down! That implies that another one - or probably two separate ones - have been mounted inside.

Personally, I would want to check what's been done in that area  - you'll need to remove the chassis from the 'shelf' board - before even turning it on, so I would advise you not to yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    It should not be turned on unless you have a variac, old amps should be treated as suspect until given a going over by a suitably qualified tech. Looks like it could be a nice amp and someone might pay well to have it to rebuild a full combo.