Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Smashing Pumpkins

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
edited June 2018 in Music

Well, I say new, it is from the Monuments session apparently. Not a bad song though I don't think.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    That sounds good, better than the Beige single from the last album :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    From A million dead posers on FB:

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    Its just a bit poo really. 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4288

I heard a bit of it earlier on Insta. I wasn't impressed unfortunately. I'm going through a pretty heavy Pumpkins phase at the moment too.

Will give it a proper listen when I get home.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Meh. Drumming is great in places as Jimmy always is... but the song is boring and the melody is... weird.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3490
    It's not as bad as I expected.  

Some of the drumming on the track is great though.  Jimmy Chamberlain is a superb rock drummer IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited June 2018
    I was sharpening my pencils to slag that off... but actually I like it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I was listening to Bullet With Butterfly Wings this morning, and there is some similarity between the two actually, especially in terms of the single guitar progression in the chorus, the drums, and the intro (again, musically). Actually, even the vocals (not the lyrics) are not a million miles away.

Not sure how much of that is intentional, accidental, or I am just completely wrong..
    Listened to it a few times now, on the whole, i still like it, but compared (here we go...) to "classic" pumpkins, its pretty standard. It doesn't stand out in the almost weird or uh.. melancholy.. way that makes Pumpkins such a special band..
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited June 2018

I like it. I'm being slagged on youtube for saying I like it, but welcome to 2018.

The drums and vocals in particular are great. Jimmy should be given WAY more credit as one of the best modern rock drummers.

The guitars sound too gainy, compressed and modern for Pumpkins, for me....I want them to sound more grainy, gross and fuzzy. But....its still great.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It sounds great. Not classic Pumpkins, but much better than the sh!te they put out after Adore.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I quite like it, brilliant drumming as previously mentioned.

When is the new album due?

I don't actually know. The band have spoken about a few EP's, but an album would make more sense. Guess we will find out in a month or so.
  • It sounds great. Not classic Pumpkins, but much better than the sh!te they put out after Adore.

I think I might be in a big minority but I love Machina; moody, gothic, great chord progressions, a lot going on, a couple of duds yes but great songs, I still listen to it often. 
    edited June 2018
    I like Machina too, and Oceania was great. The others post Adore, were OK in places, but a bit patchy... Certainly one of my favourite bands though.
    Machina is an amazing album... Oceania took a little getting into, but again, a really good album. Saw them on the Oceania tour and really bought the album to life for me.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    quarky said:
    I don't actually know. The band have spoken about a few EP's, but an album would make more sense. Guess we will find out in a month or so.
    Watched this yesterday and I think Billy says they've recorded 8 tracks with Rick Rubin which will be released as two EPs, they hadn't planned to record as many but Rubin wanted to do all the tracks they showed him.

An album was considered a bit overwhelming at this stage I think.

Billy talked about never doing another album again after Zeitgeist, so I am kind of hoping it is the same thing here, and they do decide to release an album after all. Maybe it will depend on how the tour goes as well.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    quarky said:
    Watched this yesterday and I think Billy says they've recorded 8 tracks with Rick Rubin which will be released as two EPs, they hadn't planned to record as many but Rubin wanted to do all the tracks they showed him.

An album was considered a bit overwhelming at this stage I think.

Yeah I caught this interview and I really enjoyed it.

What they really need to do it release all of the studio albums on heavyweight vinyl asap. I know you can pick some of them up, but they are ridiculous prices.

Then, a few new EPs, and then a new album once they have time.

I am patiently awaiting a European tour.

Something is happening on the 16th of October apparently. Posters around London. Oh, and three EPs apparently. Not sure where that comes from..

http://www.nme.com/news/music/smashing-pumpkins-teasing-something-london-2337500