NPD, well, NOEC76CDD: Pricey but absolutely worth it

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
edited June 2018 in FX
I’ve been messing around with various tone-shapers, buffers and compressors recently, and I did think that the Fairfield Accountant comp was the perfect “always on” pedal for me for maintaining a nice core tone through a chain of powerful TB pedals. The Accountant is a stunning pedal, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a compressor, even folk who are wary of using compressors. 

However, I found something on Saturday that was brilliant enough to usurp the wee silver box. A larger silver box. The Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe. It is an absolute marvel.

The Dry function allows you to dial in a degree of your compressed signal with the dry signal, and this was the clincher for me. And the rest of the controls over gain, ratio, attack and release give you so much control over your sound: as bright and/or as squishy (or not) as you like. 

In short, this beauty makes everything sound brilliant: with both the Marr Jag and Tele, going into a 65 DRRI, everything sounds more alive and responsive and sparkly. Best pedal purchase I’ve made since...well the Fairfield Accountant (now for sale!). 

A very productive NPD indeed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lySk3Hb
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    I love The Accountant but there’s too many people on, here whose opinions I value, that are jumping ship to the Cali. 

Luckily I don’t think I have the space on my board to fit one on and I certainly don’t have the funds at the minute. I’m sorely tempted though. 
    How very rock and roll
  • I love The Accountant but there’s too many people on, here whose opinions I value, that are jumping ship to the Cali. 

Luckily I don’t think I have the space on my board to fit one on and I certainly don’t have the funds at the minute. I’m sorely tempted though. 
    I’m surprised that I found something I preferred to the Accountant, but I did. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Nice write up mate!

I agree about the Cali; superb pedal. Much better comp than the Accountant, but I do love the latter for adding a touch of grit to the sound.

We are indeed blessed in ‘pedal land’ these days !
  • Nice write up mate!

I agree about the Cali; superb pedal. Much better comp than the Accountant, but I do love the latter for adding a touch of grit to the sound.

We are indeed blessed in ‘pedal land’ these days !
    Like I said, the Fairfield is a great pedal, just prefer the options I get with the Cali76. My two favourite purchases in the last couple of years have been two compressors.... dull, eh! Also, if needed I can get some lovely grit from the Brothers. The five pedals in the photo I posted are proving to be a very nice set-up.
  • molokaiomolokaio Frets: 10
    I'm coming from a few years with the okko cocacomp. I'm an always on kinda guy when it comes to compressor, since I mainly play calm post rock stuff with very little to no gain. 
    Optical compressors are unbeatable for that use, but the coca was brightening my tone very much.
    So I'm on the cali dlx wagon at the moment. 
    Lovely buffer, and as you say, the dry know is very useful.
    Very different attack from optical comps, sometimes it bugs me, but its tone is great.
    I'm trying to refine my settings on the input and attack knobs, I'll get there one day. Awesome pedal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I decided to take the plunge, and snaffled a Ltd Edition...

And THAT is the influence of @BintyTwanger77 !!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    FFS I did not need to see that. The Andertons version is the one I’ve been coveting 
    How very rock and roll
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    I’ve had one on my board for over a year now and it’s going nowhere. It really is a “makes everything sound better” pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I decided to get myself an Empress...it was either that or the Cali76. I love it and it's an "always on" pedal. Makes everything more defined, present and as you say about the Cali, more alive, responsive and sparkly. I've yet to try a Cali for comparison but I'm currently really happy with the Empress. 
  • I decided to take the plunge, and snaffled a Ltd Edition...

And THAT is the influence of @BintyTwanger77 !!

Very nice! How are you finding it?
    @BintyTwanger77 - yet to get it home yet !!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Great pedal, I’ve  also had joy revamping vocals through it