Dale Wilson Masterbuilt Gassage... Buy or Build?

What's Hot
JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
edited June 2018 in Guitar
TL;DR - Gas is alive and kicking - I've been stupendously pining over this Dale Wilson Masterbuilt Strat. It's got some wizardry going on with regards to its circuitry as well as a slightly unconventional SSH configuration featuring a de-lidded Seymour Duncan wide range humbucker. Combined with a push volume pot as you'd find on a Deluxe Stratocaster (I think?) as well as a a push-push pot in the first tone pot position, it's seems like a wicked combination to create some tonal variety. Short question: would you buy or build? Longer question: anyone got a wiring diagram for this particular setup?

The guitar in question - it's for sale in Tokyo at G-Club here. I'm traveling there later this month for business, so gassage is –naturally– at an all time high:

So Dale Wilson did some limited run Master Built series for what looks like a couple of dealerships - there's a couple of builds that follow the same kind of setup on his Instagram (here, here, and here). He did a (fairly incomprehensible) little video about it here as well:

Needless to say, I've convinced myself that this is by far the best thing since sliced bread, and that my life is not complete without it. Short of being single-handedly responsible for world peace, purchasing this would undoubtedly contribute to the betterment of all humankind*.

In parallel, I've been toying with the idea of building a guitar of my own, and this seems like a cool, and ever so slightly different project from your bog-standard partscaster, whilst still (famous last words) being fairly straight forward. Get an SSH-routed body, de-lid a Seymour Duncan wide range humbucker, burn some fingers on what would most likely be some MIT-alumni level soldering, and Bob could be your proverbial uncle. 

Anyway - thoughts? Tips? Am I being an idiot and should just forego the whole thing? Your two cents are incredibly welcome - other currencies accepted.

* Results proposed are purely indicative and detailed KPI's are to be discussed moving forwards. No legal claims can be made to this illustrative example.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Colour looks great but a little too niche and over-reliced for my tastes.  With that budget why not look for a refin, players pre-CBS?
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    7800 quid?

Jog on!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I read the thread title as ‘Dale Winton Masterbuilt....’
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    That guitar would come in orange.

(RIP Dale)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    That guitar would come in orange.

(RIP Dale)
    And the Relic thing’s probably not right either - I’d imagine he’d want it to look younger than it actually is, rather than older....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    That could be built  for £1000-1200 using good components.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    So seems that the overwhelming response seems to be build! I always thought that Dale Wilson’s work was pretty popular, but there you go, what do I know eh!

lonestar said:
    That could be built  for £1000-1200 using good components.
    I’m glad you’ve responded @lonestar - big fan of your work! Would you mind me pinging you a message for a quote on some of the work required if I would go the build route?

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any thoughts on the complexity of the wiring/electronics in this? I found another video last night on the details of this particular series, which I’ll dig up in a tad.

Here it is, for those interested:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I'm sure it's great. But I'd go MJT/ @lonestar ;/ GSP+@lamf68 and get someone really good to fettle it if needed. 

Because that's a hilarious amount of money for a new strat. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure it's great. But I'd go MJT/ @lonestar ;/ GSP+@lamf68 and get someone really good to fettle it if needed. 

Because that's a hilarious amount of money for a new strat. 
    I love Wilson’s work. And I love fender. But some of their pricing... jeez, I dunno. It’s mental.

@JEPBLEP thank you for the kind words, please feel free to message whenever you want chap
  • Just get the masterbuilt and lay the GAS demons to rest. If you've got it,who cares what it costs. When you're being lowered into the ground you'll probably not be thinking "Christ am I glad I didn't get that masterbuilt!" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Those Dale Winton's going to be worth a bit now probbo...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Just get the masterbuilt and lay the GAS demons to rest. If you've got it,who cares what it costs. When you're being lowered into the ground you'll probably not be thinking "Christ am I glad I didn't get that masterbuilt!" 
    whilst I agree with that to a point (especially if you can afford it) I cant help but feel its just a guitar. 
    I mean 8k is a car, a massive chunk off the mortgage, a truly phenomenal holiday, a shit load of blow and hookers, whatever you can think of really. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Of course there's a middle ground between an £8k master built Fender and a bitsa. Plenty of world class luthiers will build you something similar for much less.
  • Just get the masterbuilt and lay the GAS demons to rest. If you've got it,who cares what it costs. When you're being lowered into the ground you'll probably not be thinking "Christ am I glad I didn't get that masterbuilt!" 
    whilst I agree with that to a point (especially if you can afford it) I cant help but feel its just a guitar. 
    I mean 8k is a car, a massive chunk off the mortgage, a truly phenomenal holiday, a shit load of blow and hookers, whatever you can think of really. 

Maybe he doesn't have a mortgage,and posted his thread whilst on holiday with a hooker?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just do whatever makes you happy. I love Dale's Guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Am I right in thinking that the SD Widerangers are Alnico V and not CuNiFe?
    Just get the masterbuilt and lay the GAS demons to rest. If you've got it,who cares what it costs. When you're being lowered into the ground you'll probably not be thinking "Christ am I glad I didn't get that masterbuilt!" 

Maybe he doesn't have a mortgage,and posted his thread whilst on holiday with a hooker?
    Mum, is that you?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JEPBLEP said:

Mum, is that you?
    your mum rules if she proposes you should lash 8k on hookers and blow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom