Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    It's also worth remembering that tFB jam does not mean the main room setlist. 

Sure, that's part of it and the very public bit that gets all the pr after, but plenty of people come along for the banter, practice time and to learn from others without setting foot in the main room. There's so much else going on with no pressure to perform if you don't want to. 

At Sasquatch, it's particularly fun to hang out in the booth with @Sasquatch_Bob and listen to his dry Yorkshire-isms...especially when he's taking the piss out of @Bridgehouse getting flustered ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    monofin said:
    monofin said:
    I will got off my arse and get to one of these even if it’s just to join the craic....... it’s a confidence crisis for me, what if everyone laughs at me etc etc Jase
    If anyone does, there is an unofficial rule we beat them with a Les Paul @monofin

It's a really supportive group.
    I'll bring my R8 then :-)

Honestly, really fancy this especially as it's sat and sun.
    Just need to (a) get over my confidence issues (b) be sure I can make the time to actually learn a song
    Could not be a better place to play with others, and I can say from experience signing up to play on a song will focus the mind for practice : )   If you want to turn up and strum each chord change once that's fine.  If you want to play solos, play the drums sing loads too thats also fine - just ask @mrkb : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Plectrum said:
    Plectrum said:
    @Bridgehouse ;;; have you considered that there are other reasons why some of us have no interest in your jams? For myself, I play in public every week. I'm fortunate that in addition to my solo stuff I get to play with some phenomenal musicians, some classically trained and a number of them professionals (one has been pro for over 40 years). All of this within walking distance of my house. Sorry but your jams offer me nothing that I can't get better of on my doorstep.
    I’m a professional musician too (and studio owner/producer/rock god) and I love events like these jams. It brings people of all tastes and abilities together, with a shared love of playing music in all its many forms. Music is from the heart, it’s about camaraderie, and most of all fun. It’s not a competition. And if you treat it like one, then you are a bellend of epic proportions sir. 
    I get people with this attitude in my studio occasionally. They are very rarely as good as their ego would have them believe. Anyone who believes they are “too good” can, quite frankly, fuck right off.
    Thank you for your post Bob. I'd just like to point out that

a) I've never made any claims about my own abilities (I don't regard myself as being particularly good)
    b) I've never been in a recording studio and I've no desire to record
    c) I've watched quite a few of Glenn Frickers(?) videos on YouTube so I can imagine the sort of people who occasionally come through your door. You have my deepest sympathy

@Plectrum  The tone of your original post came across very arrogant, and as though you were too good to lower yourself to our lowly standards.
    I was confused by the level of negativity your post showed towards an event designed to bring people together and encourage guitarists who maybe aren’t overly experienced or confident in a positive, safe environment.
    Surely if you’re not interest you’d have been better not commenting at all. Maybe even offer some constructive suggestions at how the event could be improved, so that it may be if interest to you.
    it’s a shame you feel it’s waste of your time, there are some great people, great players, and incredible gear to meet/see. Plus, it’s a bloody good laugh.
    @Sasquatch_Bob - I wouldn't bother.

I posted a reply to a few posts that suggested that some members may be put off the jam sessions because they felt they had to sign up to the formal recorded sessions during the event. A very specific comment/query about a specific group of members who (by the implication of the post) were only put off by the above fact.

However, @Plectrum decides to stroll in and address something completely different in what I took to be a rude, arrogant and irrelevant way. Fine - the jam sessions are not for them. And yes, I've considered there's lots of reasons why people might not want to come. 

It may not seem it, but they take a hell of a lot of organising - for frankly little to no reward for the organisers at all. I've considered stopping doing it many many times as I don't want the wife to kick me out and it's a bunch of stress that I honestly could do without. 

But, I do it because (I'm told) some people who do choose to come get a huge amount out of it. Anyway - thanks @Plectrum - you've reminded me once again that I wonder why I even bother organising them in the first place. If some members here think it's fine to swish into a thread like this and broadly rubbish the effort that goes into it in a patronising, rude, and arrogant way, then these jams aren't something I want to be a part of any more.
    It's annoying that we tend to let one stupid negative comment weigh the same as dozens of intelligent positive ones - I think it must just be in our nature, for some of us at least.

I really hope you don't let things like that put you off in any way though.

When I saw there was the event happening I didn't even click it because I knew that unfortunately I'd have absolutely no chance of attending (new baby etc.) but now I've read a bit out of curiosity it sounds amazing and I really really hope that one day in the future I'll be able to make it to one of these and if I do make it I'll be very grateful to the people who help organise the event just like I admire those people now despite being unable to attend.
    Matters arising / questions etc:

We don't currently have a logistics thread, so I'll summarise what *I* think the plan should be and you can tell me I'm wrong from there. This is mostly relevant to hotel dwellers 

Saturday morning: 

Hotel dwellers call at the hotel to drop bags off / check in if rooms are ready 

12ish ...hotel dwellers drive/ car share to Sasquatch with all guitar/ jam related gear, then dump cars in car park / nearby roads.

Evening: Tame minibus driver(s) and anyone who's not drinking that wants to, ferries us and just the guitars/ kit we need for the gig up to the club. It's actually walkable but takes around half an hour without lugging kit but that's an option for some. 

End of gig: Minibuses drop hotel dwellers at hotel / in town if more "culture" is required, and kit + security / spoon team back at the studio where we will watch all the gear all night and definitely not just play everything. 

Sunday morning: hotel dwellers check out, minibus brings you all back to studio (which will now smell of a mixture of bloke and a nervous @Bridgehouse ) with your bags, so you can pack up and leave from there once Sunday is done. 

Does that make sense? Have I made any glaring omissions? 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Just to confirm, is the plan to head direct from studio to gig venue? 

Just wondering if there's a window for shower/chill out hour. Don't want to sound like a wuss but could be nice to have a break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Just to confirm, is the plan to head direct from studio to gig venue? 

Just wondering if there's a window for shower/chill out hour. Don't want to sound like a wuss but could be nice to have a break. 
    You posh twat! ;) 

I'm sure @Sasquatch_Bob will give you his face flannel to give your coconuts a quick wipe! 

Ok...serious answer...you're quite right, I had missed that. It's two more minibus trips, which will obviously impact costs. Unless you / somebody wants to stay sober during the day jam and ferry folk back to the hotel? 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    edited June 2018
    Matters arising / questions etc:

We don't currently have a logistics thread, so I'll summarise what *I* think the plan should be and you can tell me I'm wrong from there. This is mostly relevant to hotel dwellers 

Saturday morning: 

Hotel dwellers call at the hotel to drop bags off / check in if rooms are ready 

12ish ...hotel dwellers drive/ car share to Sasquatch with all guitar/ jam related gear, then dump cars in car park / nearby roads.

Evening: Tame minibus driver(s) and anyone who's not drinking that wants to, ferries us and just the guitars/ kit we need for the gig up to the club. It's actually walkable but takes around half an hour without lugging kit but that's an option for some. 

End of gig: Minibuses drop hotel dwellers at hotel / in town if more "culture" is required, and kit + security / spoon team back at the studio where we will watch all the gear all night and definitely not just play everything. 

Sunday morning: hotel dwellers check out, minibus brings you all back to studio (which will now smell of a mixture of bloke and a nervous @Bridgehouse ) with your bags, so you can pack up and leave from there once Sunday is done. 

Does that make sense? Have I made any glaring omissions? 
    Yeah how do we get our cars back on Sunday?  Surely better for us all to drive to Sasquatch on the Sunday?

I also agree with @modellista ;;;;, a shower and chill out in the hotel room would be grand after a day in the studio.

I'm not bringing enough gear to need it guarded so happy to bring my electric and acoustic into my hotel room, I'll spoon with those if required!

Edit: oh I get it - leave cars there all weekend? @Legionreturns ;;

Possible alternate plan, one minibus trip from hotel to sasquatch, one back to hotel, one onwards from there to pub, then back again, then we all expect to sober up overnight, and stay sober on the Sunday?

If anyone wants to drop their piles of gear off at studio first, then they could do so then drive to hotel in time for minibus?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5356
    I won't be hitting the booze during the day, so certainly happy to car share from studio to hotel before the evening. Will be planning on a moderately unwise volume of beer in the evening though.
    @darthed1981 according to my plan your car will be at the studio, where you parked it on Saturday. If people want a break / shower/ quick w*** over all the gear you've seen then we could arrange cabs / minibuses from the hotel instead. I can always nip to the outlaws farm house near the club for one. 

edited June 2018

Legionreturns said:
    @darthed1981 according to my plan your car will be at the studio, where you parked it on Saturday. If people want a break / shower/ quick w*** over all the gear you've seen then we could arrange cabs / minibuses from the hotel instead. I can always nip to the outlaws farm house near the club for one. 
    Yeah I got that in the end @Legionreturns im slow tonight.

My possible alternate plan: one minibus trip from hotel to sasquatch, one back to hotel, one onwards from there to pub, then back again, then we all expect to sober up overnight, and stay sober on the Sunday?

If anyone wants to drop their piles of gear off at studio first, then they could do so then drive to hotel in time for minibus?  Might be easier than leaving two dozen cars around sasquatch?

I'd definitely need a trip to hotel for a shower, <UNINTENTIONAL EUPHESMISM REMOVED> (Edit: just realised how dodgy that looked, just meant catch up on my internetz).

I actually fully believe that that's a euphemism you use... my head hurts 

edited June 2018
    I actually fully believe that that's a euphemism you use... my head hurts 
    Yeah @Legionreturns ;I just re-read that myself.  I didn't even mean it as one. expressionless 
    Are we all still cool in here? After the weekends events in thread I feel I'm walking on eggshells a bit?

If I've said the wrong thing to anyone I apologise, was only in a friendly jest or plain unintentional, but I'm not feeling good vibes at the minute?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Are we all still cool in here? After the weekends events in thread I feel I'm walking on eggshells a bit?

If I've said the wrong thing to anyone I apologise, was only in a friendly jest or plain unintentional, but I'm not feeling good vibes at the minute?
    Well I've calmed down anyway... 

:)

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! It's cool as far as I know! 

(Unless your euphemism breached the terms of your restraining order) 

Cool sorry I have a tendency towards a bit of paranoia!
    Why? Who said that? Are you sure? What's wrong?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why? Who said that? Are you sure? What's wrong?
    Yup just like that! :)
    I've always thought he was a bit of a ... oh...wait, I thought I was in a PM. 

Ignore me. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've always thought he was a bit of a ... oh...wait, I thought I was in a PM. 

Ignore me. 
    In response to your PM: Yeah, totally... what a d**k

;)
This discussion has been closed.