What is this pickup?

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
A bit of a strange request, but I remember reading about a Humbucker designed so the coil closest to the bridge was similar to a Tele Bridge pickup and the coil closest to the neck was similar to a Strat Bridge pickup, and that they were very good for split coil sounds.

I can't remember where I read about them, and preliminary googling hasn't turned up anything. Does anyone know what Pickup I'm referring to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    My chameleons?
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Alegree said:
    My chameleons?

I thought it might've been, but I read this before you launched those, and they weren't described in the same way. I recall specifically that they were meant to emulate both a Strat and Tele bridge pickup with separate coils.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    My chameleons?

I thought it might've been, but I read this before you launched those, and they weren't described in the same way. I recall specifically that they were meant to emulate both a Strat and Tele bridge pickup with separate coils.
    An unbalanced stag mag type thing?
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The Seymour Duncan Stag Mag and The Mag humbuckers amount to two Fender-style single coils mounted onto a regular humbucker baseplate.

On production line examples, the coils will be built as near as possible identically. Thus, the Tele versus Stratocaster difference isn't there. 

If you were to custom order one, it should be possible to specify the appropriate magnet diameters and copper wire gauges.
    Be seeing you.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Was it the Oil City Brass Knuckle?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    normula1 said:
    This will do it, although it's the other way round - it's the bridge-side coil which sounds like a Strat, and the neck-side coil which sounds like a Tele. As far as I know the coils are the same, it's the position that makes the difference.

I don't know if it was designed for that - you would need to ask @TheGuitarWeaselbut it certainly works well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    normula1 said:
    This will do it, although it's the other way round - it's the bridge-side coil which sounds like a Strat, and the neck-side coil which sounds like a Tele. As far as I know the coils are the same, it's the position that makes the difference.

I don't know if it was designed for that - you would need to ask @TheGuitarWeaselbut it certainly works well.
    My Brass Knuckle was designed (six years ago) to produce standard humbucking sounds, or when split, to produce a Strat neck tone and a Tele bridge tone. It uses a bridge ground plate and extended height coils to be the closest possible to a Fender single coil when in split mode. 
    It is taking a rest from my site at the moment, but available to special order. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    normula1 said:

My Brass Knuckle was designed (six years ago) to produce standard humbucking sounds, or when split, to produce a Strat neck tone and a Tele bridge tone. It uses a bridge ground plate and extended height coils to be the closest possible to a Fender single coil when in split mode. 
    It is taking a rest from my site at the moment, but available to special order. 

That was the one, I had a feeling it was Oil City but couldn't find it on your website.