Forgiving & Unforgiving Amps

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited June 2018 in Amps
I recently pulled out my 60's AC30 for a rehearsal after a long time of bedroom playing and think I've finally discovered what 'unforgiving' in an amp means. 

Great sounding amp (especially with the ES335), great fun playing all the parts then it was time for a solo.. Man did I sound sloppy! Every pick stroke, every 'bump' in the road highlighted for the world to hear. Of course 'practice harder' is the answer but it was a bit of a wake up call TBH.

It got me thinking though, in my adult playing career I've only really owned a Mesa Boogie Mk3, AC30s and a Yerasov GTA15 which is kinda like a Vox AC15 in some ways (EL84s). Have I never owned a 'forgiving' amp? 

Interested in what others would deem forgiving amps or am I wrong about AC30s completely and just p*ss poor at playing these days?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    AC30s are forgiving - they may not be the *most* forgiving, but they still are. All valve amps are forgiving, that's why we like them :)

If you want to hear what unforgiving sounds like, try playing a Peavey Renown at gig volume...

That's a 160W or 210W - depending on series - 2x12" solid-state amp with highly efficient speakers, and it has probably the hardest and most directly dynamic response of any amp I've ever heard. If you over-play a note, you will feel it in the back of your head.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited June 2018
    I think of an AC30 as a pretty forgiving amp, to be honest!

I think very generally EL84 and 6V6 amps tend to be the most forgiving amps to play.

I think very generally EL84 and 6V6 amps tend to be the most forgiving amps to play.
    Probably because they're often cathode-biased, which increases compression when pushed hard. Some of the definitive EL84 and 6V6 amps also don't have negative feedback, so the onset of overdrive is softer and more progressive which also makes them more forgiving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    All my amps are very forgiving.

They've heard me play and not one of them's walked out yet! :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Forgiving amps are popular in the P&W scene.
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    I think of an AC30 as a pretty forgiving amp, to be honest!

Interesting feedback from everyone. I played a Fender BF amp today and found that to be more 'forgiving' at least by my definition. Spongier, obviously less pronounced mids - maybe this plays a part in what I'm getting at? Then again maybe I have got the whole idea wrong!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    randerson said:
    I recently pulled out my 60's AC30 for a rehearsal after a long time of bedroom playing and think I've finally discovered what 'unforgiving' in an amp means. 

Try a Dumble style amp.
    They have such a pronounced midrange that nothing is hidden.
    randerson said:

Interesting feedback from everyone. I played a Fender BF amp today and found that to be more 'forgiving' at least by my definition. Spongier, obviously less pronounced mids - maybe this plays a part in what I'm getting at? Then again maybe I have got the whole idea wrong!
    Yes, the smaller BF amps in particular are quite forgiving too. Even a Twin is, compared to some amps I can think of... although not an AC30.

If your AC30 is a Top Boost model, try turning the bass up full - this also cuts the mids, due to the odd way the tone stack works - and set the tone using just the treble and the Cut. That will get you the closest to the BF-type sound.

If it's not a Top Boost - just a single tone control - try jumpering the Normal and Brilliant channels. That will give a softer sound than either alone.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Some people feel that large clean amps, like the cleanest Dumble clones (HRM), or the Steel string singer, etc. (think of a Fender twin set to the maximum clean volume, with plenty of treble) are the most unforgiving, since you can hear every little nuance. Personally I love that sound, I feel you can hear every ridge on your fingerprints, and which edge and angle of the pick you have used, and the dramatic change when you use fingers instead of the pick, or a bit of both.

I'm guessing that a forgiving amp or patch would have lots of mids, lots of compression, and so would not reveal unintended variations in tone or volume
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've got a Yerasov GTA15 and although I don't have huge experience of playing other valve amps - have used Cornford / Vox / Fender Super Sonic -  you do have to tread lightly with it, it's pretty responsive. 

Works well with both a tickle and a slap, but you got to tickle and slap it just right.
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    ICBM said:
    randerson said:

Yes, the smaller BF amps in particular are quite forgiving too. Even a Twin is, compared to some amps I can think of... although not an AC30.

If your AC30 is a Top Boost model, try turning the bass up full - this also cuts the mids, due to the odd way the tone stack works - and set the tone using just the treble and the Cut. That will get you the closest to the BF-type sound.

If it's not a Top Boost - just a single tone control - try jumpering the Normal and Brilliant channels. That will give a softer sound than either alone.

Yeah mine is without the top boost so will try that jumpering trick. Thanks for that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Less pronouced mids... so you don't want to be heard, then? ;-)

Seriously though - I don't really understand the 'forgiving' vs 'unforgiving' thing. I don't understand the terminology.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:

Seriously though - I don't really understand the 'forgiving' vs 'unforgiving' thing. I don't understand the terminology.

Play an early Bad Cat Black Cat 30 or a Matchless DC30 and you'll probably get it right away.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    impmann said:

Think valve vs solid state?
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I had a Mesa F50 that i thought immediately was very unforgiving, in that it was so touch sensitive it took a little while to get used to. It was a totally different amp to the Laney Ironheart i had before that and it took me a little while to get used to it, but it did make me a better player. 
    edited June 2018
    impmann said:

Forgiving means that you don't have to be as precise in your playing, because the amp has a naturally rich, usually slightly compressed sound which smooths out as you play harder and especially when it goes into overdrive.

Unforgiving means it has a clear, uncompressed sound with dynamics that directly follow the picking strength and which usually sounds harsh when you push it into overdrive, so if you don't play carefully the errors really jump out.

At least, that's what it means to me.

JezWynd said:

Think valve vs solid state?
    Yes, most valve amps are usually more naturally forgiving than solid-state, especially played loud and at the point of overdrive. This is why most players prefer valve amps, although the difference can be less obvious to a listener than the player.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    impmann said:

Play an early Bad Cat Black Cat 30 or a Matchless DC30 and you'll probably get it right away.
    I have. The Matchless sounded superb - sadly I couldn't lift it otherwise I'd have one. :-)

So basically a 'forgiving' amp makes a slightly crappy player sound better than they actually are (ie it hides sloppy technique) - is that what we are saying?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

I have. The Matchless sounded superb - sadly I couldn't lift it otherwise I'd have one. :-)

So basically a 'forgiving' amp makes a slightly crappy player sound better than they actually are (ie it hides sloppy technique) - is that what we are saying?
    or that a forgiving amp conceals the extra expression in the playing of someone who has refined their touch and dynamics?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    See your Dumble and raise you a Trainwreck or Komet with a SS rectifier and no MV!

..kinda like an early 911 Turbo on a wet road - permanently trying to kill you but it's a lotta fun if it doesn't succeed

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

Not really, it's more that they are a joy to play, they seem to "flow' easily, and really free you up to play expressively. Of the amps I use most, my Bad Cat is effortless, the 3rd Power works with you nicely, the Magnatone is somewhere in the middle, and my Louis Electric Columbia makes you work that bid harder.