Neck pocket too tight.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Just confuse the issue even more, go to https://aperioguitar.com/what-you-dont-know-about-fender-necks-and-should/

And to confuse the issue even more, if we take 2 3/16" as the size of the neck pocket, then necks from WD, Allparts and Warmoth plus many more will not fit as they need a 56mm, 56.1mm or 56.6mm neck pocket. 

It also seems Warmoth are not too sure of how wide there neck heels are. They say they are 2 3/16"  but then in brackets they put 56mm, no wonder nobody knows what size the neck pocket should be. It could be the 56mm in brackets is the size of the neck pocket the neck needs, who knows.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Strat_WarmothPro.aspx

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/necks-c60/strat-necks-c180/wd-music-strat-vintage-neck-maple-clear-gloss-finish-p3118

While I was writing the above it occurred to me I have a new American standard Stratocaster upstairs in its case, that is hasn't seen daylight for about 16 years (it's a present for my grandson when he's 18 years old), I shall go and measure the neck pocket and the width of the neck heel.

Right, I've done that I used two different makes of digital calipers, and surprise, surprise, the neck heel is 56mm, I didn't take the neck out, but one has to presume the neck pocket is just over 56mm.

I'm not taking sides, I'm just pointing out why there can be so many differences of opinion. You can Google this information and find fender plans and third-party plans that will confirm either side of the argument, be it 2 3/16" or 56mm or more. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    edited June 2018
    So, a bit of an update.....

No, I haven't got anything bolted together yet, I've decided if I rush things before I'm ready I'll make a hash of it so I'm going to take my time.

I have ordered an acrylic neck pocket template which arrived this morning, test fitted the heel of the neck and it's a snug fit, but it fits - there is a tiny amount of interference so I can work with that.

The other problem I have with this body (not really a problem, though) is that it isn't pre-drilled for the trem, which I'm quite glad about as most of them come drilled for a Fender vintage style trem and I'm fitting a Schaller vintage trem which despite it's name has modern two post mounting and at Floyd Rose dimensions to boot.

So, with no reference to know where to drill the trem and a neck pocket too tight what do I do first, fit the neck and hope it's aligned properly so I can then use that as a reference to fit the trem?  Not my preferred method if I'm honest.  I'd much rather fit the trem first so I can lightly clamp the neck in place and use the two e-strings as a reference to know that the neck is aligned properly and know where to drill the neck screws.

The other small issue that I have is that the acrylic template I have is a bit too thin for my router.  I can't really use it with a bearing template cutter without making the neck pocket waaaaaaaay too deep.

So, all things added up I am going to use the neck pocket template to make two separate templates from 9mm MDF, sandwiched together they will provide the router with enough clearance to allow the template cutter to trace the profile at the right depth... simples!

I have also transposed (if that's the right word) the trem fitment onto one piece of MDF in relation to the neck.  Once I've finished modifying the neck pocket I can test fit the neck and double check my measurements to make sure I'm fitting the trem so it will intonate properly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KrdQ2bV

Again, I'll be taking it slowly, measuring twice (umpteen times, more like) and cutting once.  But once I have the templates measured and aligned properly over the body it should make getting it right much easier and accurate than guestimation and good luck.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

tFB Trader
    If you haven't started modifying your neck pocket yet, a suggestion. You stated that the holes haven't been drill for the tremolo yet. Which could be a good thing, as I'm suggesting instead of taking wood off equally either side, just take it off the bass side, as you're only going to take about .5mm in total off. What this will avoid is having the neck overhanging the neck pocket slightly on the treble side. You may have to modify the tremolo routs just a bit to move it .5mm the bass side, although some tremolo routs there might be enough tolerance anyway. As far as lining up pickups and the scratch plate, again there should be sufficient tolerance in the rout to move it all over .5mm without any problems.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    GSPBASSES said:
    If you haven't started modifying your neck pocket yet, a suggestion. You stated that the holes haven't been drill for the tremolo yet. Which could be a good thing, as I'm suggesting instead of taking wood off equally either side, just take it off the bass side, as you're only going to take about .5mm in total off. What this will avoid is having the neck overhanging the neck pocket slightly on the treble side. You may have to modify the tremolo routs just a bit to move it .5mm the bass side, although some tremolo routs there might be enough tolerance anyway. As far as lining up pickups and the scratch plate, again there should be sufficient tolerance in the rout to move it all over .5mm without any problems.
    Haha, great minds think alike ;) If you scroll up a bit you should see that’s exactly what I’d planned to do and for exactly the same reasons. 

Its nice to have it confirmed as a good idea by somebody with oodles more experience than me though, so a very useful comment all the same. 

Cheers bud :)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Fenders QC would never let a guitar go out with an ill fitting neck joint! ;)

tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    poopot said:
    Fenders QC would never let a guitar go out with an ill fitting neck joint!

So... my guess is the guy who finished the heel of the neck in the US was a little heavy handed on the sanding? Either that or fender are responsible for “bad machining and poor QC”. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard a bad word against fender for QC at all, in actual fact. 

Opps

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    lonestar said:
    poopot said:
    Fenders QC would never let a guitar go out with an ill fitting neck joint!

So... my guess is the guy who finished the heel of the neck in the US was a little heavy handed on the sanding? Either that or fender are responsible for “bad machining and poor QC”. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard a bad word against fender for QC at all, in actual fact. 

Opps

Well hey, there’s always a first :) at least my stuff doesn’t leave like that!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    lonestar said:

Well hey, there’s always a first :) at least my stuff doesn’t leave like that!
    I had a 2011 USA strat that had the same overhang as well... wonder if it was a quirk to that year... that said, my 89 USA strat, I used to store spare picks in the gap on the bass side of the pocket!...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I saw Phil X playing a 50s Esquire on YouTube... the gap at the treble side of the pocket was amusing. It still sounded amazing. I wonder if fender were bothered about a really tight fit back in the day