Staining Brazilian Walnut - what to use

I've just received a really nice Tele neck with a Brazilian Walnut fretboard and maple shaft. I'd like to make the fretboard darker, more towards ebony but not that dark. At the moment it looks like a normal medium dark rosewood board. Should I use a water based stain rather than oil based? I'm assuming oil based would leave a thin film once cured.

Thanks for any advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Anyone 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

I use spirit-based stains, they don't raise the grain like waterbase can although a walnut board prob won't do that. After that's had a short while to dry I wipe on a drying oil like linseed or Danish, just very thin coat. Let dry for a couple of days. Sometimes a wipe with lemon oil after that, again quick & thin, if it feels at all waxy. I've never had joy with just wire-woolling & wiping after, always got some on the fingers, the oil completely stops that and also to me makes it look a bit more natural, somehow more part of the wood than sat on top. Might be imagining that, dunno, just looks a bit better to me

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/exbird/ex06_primer.jpg

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Dark brown fiebings 

you you need to remove any coating that may currently be on the board.  Apply the fiebings and let dry for a minute or so. Give a good rub down with 0000 liberon wire wool.  

It will stain some plastics, but cleans off most at the rub down stage.  It will stain your skin or clothes and never come off.... use with care

Should say black if you want it like ebony.... but it will be very black
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the advice @Corvus & @WezV ;;

@WezV do you use any oil after the leather dye to bring back the grain and give it a nice sheen? or just some fretboard oil?

Cheers
    I have used a coat of danish on some, it can help take away the artificial look and lock in the colour if it is lifting.  If it’s used on raw wood and rubbed back well it won’t stain your fingers

just done 2 rosewood boards with the dark brown and didn’t add any oil at all.
    Ok cheers. I'll see how it looks after the dye, then maybe use some danish. It's raw, as in brand new, no sealers or oils have ever been used.