American Vintage Price Check

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
I had a an AVRI '62 Jazzmaster for a good while a few years back, superb guitar and now I'm back into giving Strats a go an AVRI 70's Strat is playing heavily on the GAS department on my mind.

My MIM 70s Classic Strat is doing me proud and is great fun but if an AVRI came along at the right price I may be sorely tempted. Any ideas on what sort of price bracket I'd be looking at for an AVRI 70s Strat in good condition?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I would guess at 800 - 1000 depending on colour and condition
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    edited June 2018
    Less than a 62/65 reissue, dealers struggled to shift them. I seem to remember Andertons blowing them out for a bit over a grand new.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I got £950 for my AVRI 64 tele early this year.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    £600-700 i’d say from a non dealer. Like @Jackobean said, they struggled to shift them. Although I’ve seen a few pop up from bedroom dealers trading on the AVRI reputation. 

I paid £800 for my 62 Tele AVRI 6 years ago and around £750 for a 62 Strat AVRI a few years after. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I only fetched £800 for my AVRI JM a few years back and it took a while to sell. Seems like they’ve hiked up in price since then
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    Duppy03 said:
    I only fetched £800 for my AVRI JM a few years back and it took a while to sell. Seems like they’ve hiked up in price since then
    They certainly have. MIJ are going for £1k now. Crazy. 
    Duppy03 said:
    There’s a big difference between ‘going for’ and what they actually sell for. Nobody is paying £1000 for a MIJ JM. Bedroom dealers might be trying to flog for that amount but regular joes moving gear on privately will be selling for a lot less. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Hick81 said:
    Duppy03 said:
    There’s a big difference between ‘going for’ and what they actually sell for. Nobody is paying £1000 for a MIJ JM. Bedroom dealers might be trying to flog for that amount but regular joes moving gear on privately will be selling for a lot less. 
    I sold my MIJ thinline Jaguar for £1000
    people are paying it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Hick81 said:
    Duppy03 said:
    I sold my MIJ thinline Jaguar for £1000
    people are paying it. 
    Kudos to you sir on the sale, but you can buy a 2003 MIJ Jaguar with hard case for £629 from Whitstable guitars. Obviously there’s going to be rare exceptions that fetch a higher price tag. But it’s a bit like JV Squier’s, prices (from dealers) shot up to over a grand, but you’ll get one private for £500-600.

Although, It might just be me being tight.