You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

In other news, New Look have the gall to charge for ladies knickers. 

Well you wouldnt catch me paying for them. Knickers not meant for me? No thanks. Thought you’d all like to know though. 
    Besides, they're pretty successful and have enough money...they should stop being cheeky and give them away for free.
    Quite right. I’d wear them if they were free. Regardless of how much they strangulated my sack and tackle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    gringopig said:
    LOL asking us to pay for what are essentially adverts! No chance .
    I hope you don’t have a sky subscription.
    Ok this is the best candidate yet for proof of the need of a lolwis button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Interesting...

my POV as a youtuber:

I cant wait to monetise my Youtube channel. I currently have 800 subscribers (cant monetise with youtube ads until you reach 1000 subscribers) but i will only use those annoying 5 second adverts before the video plays. 

My videos are boring as shit, (i get a hell of a lot of views, but its not entertainkng enough to subscribe) - you never see my face and you only ever see two hands and a soldering iron doing guitar/bass wiring tutorials. Does the job.

but it works... the videos pay for themselves. I wont ask for patreon sponsorship because i only
    publish 1-2 videos a month. Pretty half arsed...I use youtube to generate website traffic and sell wiring kits...it works. Im not interested in establishing a “channel” You’d be amazed at the amount of orders i get from the USA, incredibly ironic given every component i use is manufactured in the states. 

All of my videos are filmed on an iphone and a tripod that i got from a chinese ebay seller for £5.00! 

Basically, my videos cost next to nothing to produce apart from the time taken.

so for a channel the size of Andertons....with all
    their high end gear, recording,
    editing and of course, the guitarists...im not suprised.  Their brand has grown an enormous amount due to their youtube channel. Without youtube, i imagine theyd be your average guitar store. Why not cash in on it?

Fwiw, large youtube channels (im going to use Crimson guitars as an example) offer the patreon sponsor thing) and it doesnt amount to a massive amount at all. And i believe that tje Crimson channel offers more value to the viewer than most. DIY videos are great. 

though personnally i wouldnt pay. you still get the same content - the only benefit you get is “extra” “behind the scenes” content which whilst cool, youd have to be a superfan of the brand to give enough of a crap to actually pay for.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited June 2018
    As someone who works in video production and has done tonnes of stuff for online/social clients - both branded and unbranded -  I would never in a million years pay to sponsor advertorials designed to sell whatever a store needs shifting. Doesn't matter how well made they are/aren't.

And that includes all the guys who call themselves reviewers (instead of demonstrators) being sent pedals and being told they can keep them but who maintain that going on every jolly said distributors send you on doesn't compromise their integrity. 

I'd be far more likely to sponsor someone who produces independent and unbiased reviews without recompense or remuneration from makers/distributors/shops. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    To be clear, I neither agree nor disagree whether or not Anderson’s should charge or not, whether it’s worth the money, or whether it’s paying for advertising or biased reviewing or not. 

My point is the usual dealer kicking that we all seem to revel in on this forum pops up again in the 

“Company that is trying to make money in honest, upfront, optional money making idea shock”

To every one of you out there who works for a company that makes a profit - if your business stops trying to make money wherever and whenever it can, you will be out of a job. That’s the way capitalism works. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited June 2018
    A student can try to crowdfund a gap year tour of the far east so he/she/they can 'find' themselves and connect with their spirit animal if they want to. Doesn't mean I'll give them a single penny. 

THAT's the way capitalism works. 

EDIT: I have no issue with people being paid to sell products. I have no problem with the likes of Pete Thorn or Mike Hermans being paid to demo pedals. 

I have an issue with people pretending to be reviewing when they are pushing product.

Andertons does what it does well enough. Which is to make adverts for the stuff it wants to sell. I don't think those videos warrant a new business model. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I'm a true blue tory boy capitalist at heart and on checking my Andertons account It appears that I have spend over £19K with them since 2009. They've had their meat from me, I don't fancy paying for this, in fact I should get it free based on my spend with them.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader

Well you wouldnt catch me paying for them. Knickers not meant for me? No thanks. Thought you’d all like to know though. 
    If they had a "panty" channel on you tube I bet they would sell a lot more.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm a true blue tory boy capitalist at heart and on checking my Andertons account It appears that I have spend over £19K with them since 2009. They've had their meat from me, I don't fancy paying for this, in fact I should get it free based on my spend with them.
    You aren’t the target market - they have you by the love nuts already...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Out of curiosity how many of you chaps are patrons of any of the YouTube channels you watch and if so which ones?  

If they had a "panty" channel on you tube I bet they would sell a lot more.....
    Specially if they sold “preloved” ones..
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    This guy isn't a fan so it seems.... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Adam_MD said:
    Out of curiosity how many of you chaps are patrons of any of the YouTube channels you watch and if so which ones?  
    None I'm too selfish and greedy and want everything for free, a true "ought for nowt-er"

edited June 2018

So I'm 'tea bagging' Lee Anderton? or is he 'tea bagging' me?

So I'm 'tea bagging' Lee Anderton? or is he 'tea bagging' me?
    Sounds like a mutual tea bag activity to me..
    Adam_MD said:
    None I'm too selfish and greedy and want everything fro free
    Grifter.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    joeyowen said:
    This guy isn't a fan so it seems.... 

This for me. Says it all.

There's another UK based show that asks for money via Patreon "to help them to keep going" but how many new £5k guitars a month do they need to keep going?? 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Difficult to get het up about this unless Lee Anderton is somehow forcing you to click the button.

*If* they truly want to migrate the content into something actually useful in ways other than convincing you to buy a product, it may work in the longer term.  As people have mentioned, artist interviews and tutorials could well be worth the money.

But asking people to pay for their existing advertorial content is a bit wishful thinking.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Chappers does look like a rescued dog to be fair.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom