What shall we build?

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Got into work this morning, the sun is shining, birds are singing, slight breeze through the shop with the doors open, about to start another day building guitar amplifiers. No memos, no faxes, no 'compliance' meetings, no synergy workshops, no faff, no BS.

Basically, I'm in a glorious mood and I don't care who knows it (Hello, sailor).

Sooooooo...

I have this old output transformer sitting on my shelf, pulled from a late 70s JMP 2144, it's a Drake 783-257 also found in the Canadian-spec JCM800 2204.

The basic specs are:

Ra-a 3.4k

0-4-8ohm secondary taps (no 16!).

50w OT, designed for 2xEL34s

So, let's build an amp based around this transformer. I'd like to open up suggestions to the forum as to what spec it should be, and I'll pick the ones I like.

My only stipulations are:

- Head
- 50w EL34 fixed bias

The rest is up to you.

Once the amplifier is completed, I'd like to offer it up for a raffle on here with donations to TFB as entry fee, if that's OK with @TTony?

Suggestions below!

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    A great sounding 50 JMP/JCM  crossover - like a 2204 . master volume but with blendable normal channel and treble channels and a switchable selector for the coupling capaitors so you can select a slightly fatter sound if you are a single coil player or slightly less low end if going in with humbuckers (to reduce the woofiness)
    A great FX loop and a reverb (digital is fine)
    So you are kind of bringing together a Marshall 1987 and a Marshall 2204 but with reverb and an updated FX loop

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    It should have blue sparkly tolex, white piping, and black grillecloth (if you put such onto heads). All fittings should be chrome. The control plate should be black with white text, and it should have white chickenhead knobs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Single channel, master volume with reverb and post FX loop....

Oh and the raffle idea is both generous and a fab idea....thanks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Was that to fit the mismatched 6.6k OT like Aynsley's 2144?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    Was that to fit the mismatched 6.6k OT like Aynsley's 2144?
    Yes, but it’s not 6k6 ;)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    A great sounding 50 JMP/JCM  crossover - like a 2204 . master volume but with blendable normal channel and treble channels and a switchable selector for the coupling capaitors so you can select a slightly fatter sound if you are a single coil player or slightly less low end if going in with humbuckers (to reduce the woofiness)
    A great FX loop and a reverb (digital is fine)
    So you are kind of bringing together a Marshall 1987 and a Marshall 2204 but with reverb and an updated FX loop
    What my learned friend suggested above sounds quite frankly marvellous !

Great gesture re the raffle, I'm in
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    very interested in this raffle idea... I don't mind what the amp is too much, but if we can arrange it so I will the raffle that will be great!  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Rather than the obvious Marshall influenced design, how about something more clean with just a touch of drive and configure the output stage to cathode bias with perhaps reduced voltages too so that you don't have to blast the room out to get it to that slightly driven sound.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    normula1 said:
    Rather than the obvious Marshall influenced design, how about something more clean with just a touch of drive and configure the output stage to cathode bias with perhaps reduced voltages too so that you don't have to blast the room out to get it to that slightly driven sound.
    Howabout a HiWatt influenced design?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• MtBMtB Frets: 921
    A Sound City 50 Plus-alike with great loud cleans but no flaimin' hiss. Great pedal platform and the SC power reduction switch - one that really does cut the volume down to bedroom friendly levels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    An ac50 with more gain from the preamp
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    normula1 said:
    I'm listening...
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    RiftAmps said:
    impmann said:
    normula1 said:
    I'm listening...
    Just that... a HiWatt based circuit. Same tone stack, same gain structure... perhaps an effects loop.

I know absolutely nowt about how a HiWatt differs from a Marshall electronically except that one is vile and from Bletchley, the other sounds like Angels (or Angels on crack if the gain is dimed).

:-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    A dual channel DR103 that has all the awesome cleans of the DR103 with an additional overdrive channel?

Maybe on a 2x12 format in a chassis that doesnt weigh more than the moon?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Something Voxy with a gain control, a master volume and three-band EQ. No reverb but a post EQ FX loop with a mix control.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Something along the lines of a Matchless Clubman but more useable for people who play at home.

Treble, middle, bass, presence, gain, reverb, fx loop, master volume and a variable footswitchable solo boost.

And a half power switch.

:) 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    i'll be in the raffle, all i can offer
    tFB Trader
    Ok guys, thanks for all of your suggestions so far.

I'm really enthused by the non-Marshall ideas, especially the HiWatt and Vox stuff. I mean, is another modded-Plexi type really needed when we have the opportunity to do something different?!

I think that's the route we'll go down, it's certainly got me really excited about this project.

So, preliminary specs are:

• Single channel Hot-rodded Vox-inspired preamp section with Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Master, and Presence(or Cut?) controls
    • Hiwatt style 50w OP section, with switchable GZ34/SS rectification
    • Series FX Loop with level control
    • Some form of outrageous boost to melt faces
    I'm going to start the circuit design shortly :)

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    valave driven acoustic amp
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Damn @RiftAmps that's left me drooling. How about a build thread?