Strymon Flint/Mr Black Deluxe+ vs an actual fender amp

teradaterada Frets: 5113
edited June 2018 in FX
Hi All,

Something that has been running through my mind of late.

Does anyone have any experience running either of these pedals through an amp that has a base tone that is quite different from say a black/silverface fender?

Do they get even close to that tone once the reverb and trem are 'clouding' the picture?

I've been wondering whether one of these would suit my orange retro 50, which has bundles of headroom, but a completely different core tone to a fender amp.

I'm assuming there is quite a difference, but happy to be surprised!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I've had both.  The answer is yes.  The flint is better imho
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    I have a Flint arriving today and have a Marshall Astoria Dual with KT66s. Will report back. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685

I've not tried a Flint, but fancy one.  The trem and verb is nice on my PRRI, but I'd rather have the control of a decent pedal.

The fender vintage footswitches are pants, and the ability to change between 2 trems types or speeds and have a solid pedal with LED's is an upgrade.  Soundwise,  I would imagine they are on a par, with the advantage of lots of other usable sounds.

I have a Helix LT, which is great but not always the easiest to dial in, hence the want for a simple pedal like the flint.

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Thanks for all the responses. 

Ive just tested both these pedals against a drri 65 and the deluxe was a fair bit better to my ears. 

That said, the other two were splendid with the rocker 32 I tested them with. Weirdly, my favourite was the mr black. It was a lot simpler and suited my desire to quickly get where I want with a sound rather than endlessly tweaking. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3817
    edited June 2018
    Yeh, I prefer built-in amp reverb and trem these days (as long as they're valve-driven, not digital). Pedals always sound like pedals when you a/b the two.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I have a Flint and a Princeton Reverb. When I got the Princeton I sold the Flint, then came to regret it and got another. The Princeton trem and reverb are great, but you can get very close less noisily with the Flint, and also have the options of harmonic and hard choppy trem and plate and hall reverb..The spring reverb on the Princeton takes over a lot at higher settings; with the Flint you have much more controllable huge reverbs if you want them  

Obviously a non-Fendery amp won't sound quite the same, but a Flint plus a bit of EQing should get you more than close enough for rock and roll (or for a David Lynch soundtrack )  It's also cheaper than getting a whole new amp for just those sounds.