Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Smashing Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    They're music w as always good, but his vocals in my opinion are just the worst. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700

I like it. I'm being slagged on youtube for saying I like it, but welcome to 2018.

The drums and vocals in particular are great. Jimmy should be given WAY more credit as one of the best modern rock drummers.

The guitars sound too gainy, compressed and modern for Pumpkins, for me....I want them to sound more grainy, gross and fuzzy. But....its still great.

Standard Rick Rubin "production" really, very dry and overly compressed, bugger all dynamics which is a shame considering how good Jimmy is, it ruins all the nuance.

I quite like it, but I find Rubin's productions tire my ears out quickly for the reasons above. Looking forward to the rest, Pumpkins were a later find for me except for the obvious singles, really like them now and Jimmy is one of my fave drummers as well!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I generally like Rubins work on a lot of hip hop records and his stuff with RHCP. 

I think that song sounds very pumpkin-esque, I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything but I do like it for the most part. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything

I think that may be my problem with Smashing Pumpkins, in a nutshell.

I wasn't particularly aware of Corgan's vocals on Gish or Siamese Dream but somewhere on Mellon Collie his nasal whining tone started to really grate and I can't bear to listen to him now.

I don't know if it's due to the way his songwriting's developed - it did seem over the years like less guitar, more bleating - or if the production has brought the vocals more to the front.  I'm almost afraid to listen to the first two albums now in case I don't like them any more.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    I've had a proper listen now and although not 'classic'. I still like it. I wouldn't want to hear the guy sing acappella, but his voice fits the music.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    I generally like Rubins work on a lot of hip hop records and his stuff with RHCP. 

I think that song sounds very pumpkin-esque, I'm not in love with how the vocal sits on top of everything but I do like it for the most part. 
    His production techniques works for some bands and not others, for early Slayer it was perfect but for say Californication it's just too damn loud, same with Death Magnetic. His work prior to 2000 isn't so bad, it's like he became deaf after this so lost all his dynamic hearing range. YMMV of course, but I find most of his work from Californication onwards is diminishing returns production wise.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Jimmy Chamberlain's drumming in the choruses is a lot of fun, and James Iha has some nice wah moments as well, things which were missing in a lot of non Pumpkins Billy Corgan output and IMO his work is always better with those contributions.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2018
    Playing Wembley Arena, Oct 16th.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Just noticed Corgan's back to playing a Strat on that clip.  I wonder if he's given up on his Reverends?
    New song:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is good. Very good!

edited September 2018
    Yeah, it has the overall sound of their last album, but definitely lyrical elements and a vibe  of their glory years.

Maybe it is my current mood, but I absolutely love it.
  • Yep, that's more like it. 
  • I couldn't finish listening to the new track.  The over compressed snare just sounds like a wet fart.
  • I've grown to hate Mr Rubins "production" I do like that song though.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited September 2018
    Sounds like a simpler version of Age of Innocence. When Billy gets it right he is one of the best songwriters and really connects with me. This song has that effect. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    It's pretty good if you can't remember when Smashing Pumpkins were pretty good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Sounds like a simpler version of Age of Innocence. When Billy gets it right he is one of the best songwriters and really connects with me. This song has that effect. Love it. 
    Erm.. that's William Patrick to the likes of you and me.

I like the new song too, i can hear the Age of Innocence vibe in it too. I agree he really is one of the best songwriters. I'd never tell him that though..