Which Vox Amp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    I have played live through borrowed AC30s a handful of times (including a lovely old 60's one, a 90's Korg and a mid-00's CC). Every single one was still too clean and nowhere near the perfect "chime" when the soundguy asked me to turn it down... I do actually think I prefer AC15s to 30's. I had a go on a 60's AC15 in Nashville a month ago and it was AMAZING with an ES-330

FWIW I'm now a total convert to Badcat and adore my Cub III 15R. The best master vol i've used and does all the Voxy sounds you would ever want, Which reminds me I have a rangemaster kit I need to build & try with it :)  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    AC30CC2X ... has everything I need - just don't use the standby or it will eat GZ34s for breakfast.

How well does the master volume work with getting edge of breakup/chime etc? A lot of people keep saying “it’s a loud amp” but surely the MV must give some control/more useability?
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    edited June 2018

I wish I could afford that....I’d need to sell
    both my current amps, maybe an old guitar and some pedals to get there

@garfy - drop it under £1k and I’ll take it, lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've only stood close to one AC30 and I swear it seemed louder than a 100w stack!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    smudge_lad said:

How well does the master volume work with getting edge of breakup/chime etc? A lot of people keep saying “it’s a loud amp” but surely the MV must give some control/more useability?
    Yes, it does - but you get the breakup without the compression which is a key part of the 'chime', so it's not quite the same. Still useful to have though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• garfygarfy Frets: 144

I wish I could afford that....I’d need to sell
    both my current amps, maybe an old guitar and some pedals to get there

@garfy - drop it under £1k and I’ll take it, lol
    :) 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    ICBM said:

The AC30 clean sound is a thing of beauty, although they still don't take heavy dirt pedals well.
    You’ve surprised me there, one of my favourite albums (Foo Fighters self-titled LP) was recorded with just an AC30 and a RAT - it sounds superb to me!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    guitargeek62 said:

You’ve surprised me there, one of my favourite albums (Foo Fighters self-titled LP) was recorded with just an AC30 and a RAT - it sounds superb to me!
    I wouldn't describe the Rat as a heavy dirt pedal though. It's a medium-gain, very midrangy pedal.

I mean something like a Big Muff or something else with a more scooped sound and a lot of bottom-end - AC30s don't like those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein