downsizing from a head and 4x12 - 1x12 combo or small head & cab ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
i want to downsize from my jcm800 and 4x12 .

both for portability , and also to get something that’s less powerful and more suited to normal stage volumes .

i want to make sure I get it right , and I’m unsure if a more sensible powered 1x12 or a smaller head and cab is the way to go .

i wondered if anyone had done this and had their own experience of what works for them .

i play punk / metal / crossover type stuff mainly , so it’s overdivecsounds I’m after.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited June 2018
    I’d personally go for a decent closed back 2x12 cab and low power head. I’ve been playing around with an Orange OR15 and PPC 2x12 and it still sounds massive.

A 1x12 combo is either going to be open back or pretty boxy sounding.

That being said you probably don’t want to go down this route but the powered Kemper is unbeatable for the sort of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    If you don't mind going solid state (well...it has pre-amp valves), the Matrix VB800 could be what you're looking for. It's supposed to sound like a JCM 800 but in a smaller and much lighter package.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited June 2018
    You considered a JMP1 midi preamp and a small poweramp? 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Dopesick said:
    If you don't mind going solid state (well...it has pre-amp valves), the Matrix VB800 could be what you're looking for. It's supposed to sound like a JCM 800 but in a smaller and much lighter package.
    I had seen that but not been able to try one!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I’d personally go for a decent closed back 2x12 cab and low power head. I’ve been playing around with an Orange OR15 and PPC 2x12 and it still sounds massive.

A 1x12 combo is either going to be open back or pretty boxy sounding.

That being said you probably don’t want to go down this route but the powered Kemper is unbeatable for the sort of thing.
    I've been looking at 1x12 mesa combos or heads and 2x12 cabs. I love those little orange heads and gigged a tiny terror for a few years but there's no room for a solo boost on those. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    Mesa Stiletto Combo - I have the 1x12 combo and it has Solo Boost etc and does the Marshall thing easy - it was Mesa's take on a Marshall.

A real under-rated amp in the Mesa range IMO
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I gig a 25w Mesa and through a 2x12 its spot on for gig volumes. Hell even on 10w mode its loud enough. 

Or what about a Silver Jubilee ( the 20w version). Stick a volume pedal or eq in the loop for solo boost. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited June 2018
    Just buy my Mini Jubilee!  

Seriously though, sounds like a Marshall and has the built in solo boost you want when you use rhythm clip for your rhythm tone.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    There are plenty of big sounding 112 combos, if you’re running a DI, the amount of speakers becomes irrelevant and personally for live use that’s the best way to get sound to FOH.

Mesa Stiletto Ace 112
    Budda SuperDrive 112 (18 or 30)
    Peavey 6505 112

they all sound big although the Mesa is as big as a 212 and weighs the same as an adult hippo.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited June 2018
    I think you should get a Marshall Major and 2 8x12 cabs. Is that what you want to hear as all of the other suggestions people have made in the several threads you have posted about this don’t seem to be hitting the mark?

On a more useful bit I had a Matrix VB800 and it sounded very good indeed but I had background noise issues with it. Some venues it hissed and buzzed like crazy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    I've always chuckled about the folk who get rid of their head and cab in favour of a combo "for portability". Most 1x12" combos I've come across weigh more than the outgoing head or cab, and usually just have a single handle, so that actually puts more strain on the arms and shoulders. 2x12" combos, in my opinion, are utterly insane.

For what it's worth, when I was using the amp/cab option I had an 8-11kg amp (Victory Kraken or Jet City JCA22H) and a 13kg 2x12" cab (Matrix NL212) which solved almost all of my portability woes. Even carrying them together was easier, because - with one in each hand - I had a more-or-less balanced load which prevented odd strains in my back.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Hear hear @photek.  These 'my JCM800 is too big, too loud and I want a solo boost without using the effects loop' threads have been going on for 2 years.

plenty of options been given, but all require you to do something other than rewording the same post ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    head n cab all the way - dont forget jet city - the jca 22 likened to jcm800 by some  
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    JMP220478 said:
    head n cab all the way - dont forget jet city - the jca 22 likened to jcm800 by some  
    JCA22H is a good shout, great crunch chhannel and separate lead channel with more than enough gain on both, or an acceptable clean and use the lead channel for the dirty stuff
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    You can never replace the shear hugeness if a 100 head and 4x12! Get your 800 modded by Dan Gower so it’s more flexible and fine tuned to you then keep gigging them.........just sayin! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom