General rules to adhere to when top wrapping?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Are there any rules to adhere to when top wrapping please? Should the tailpiece be screwed down to the body? Is there anything I should be aware of or is it as simple as just top wrapping and getting on with it? Thank you for your time.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    just top wrap and get on with it. 
    Just ignore all the other jazz mate, you can floor the tail piece if you wish, it shouldn't cause any issues. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    I tried it on an R8 I used to own ( still have an R7 ) and even with the tailpiece right down it didn’t have enough break angle and the strings popped out of the saddle grooves easily.
    I think it works on standards where the neck angle is greater but didn’t work for me on the historic.
    I know certain famous people did it on bursts.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    The key general rule is don’t do it!   ;)

YMMV of course.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I screw the tailpiece all the way down and away you go. Iv done it on every r8/r9 ive had and not had any problems . Some like it some dont. :) 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    My 339 came top wrapped and unlike any of my other Gibson style guitars it does seem to play better that way.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    zepp76 said:
    Are there any rules to adhere to when top wrapping please?
    Sacrifice a chicken, read your horoscope, throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder, swear allegiance to the leprechauns and kiss an effigy of Joe Bonnamassa.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    zepp76 said:

Yes...

Is your guitar a Junior, Special or other with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece and no separate bridge?

Yes: top-wrap.

No: don't top-wrap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Are you Joe Bonamassa?

FTFY
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Put all the good weed, in the end, and light up first. 

;) 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Yes...

Is your guitar a Junior, Special or other with a wraparound bridge/tailpiece and no separate bridge?

Sums it up perfectly, anything that isn't dsigned to be stop wrapped, looks wrong top wrapped. Ok so you may feel there's benefits to top wrapping your Les Paul but the negative is it looks crap, and you didn't become a guitarist to look crap did you? Just say no kids to top wrapping kids.
    underdog said:
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Yes...

Sums it up perfectly, anything that isn't dsigned to be stop wrapped, looks wrong top wrapped. Ok so you may feel there's benefits to top wrapping your Les Paul but the negative is it looks crap, and you didn't become a guitarist to look crap did you? Just say no kids to top wrapping kids.
    If you do it to look cool in the eyes of the members on this forum it's instantly uncool.
    Too wrap for the win
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    underdog said:
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Yes...

If you want to get the stop bar right down without a ridiculously sharp break angle top wrapping is the way on some Les Paul Standards. 

I don't think mine looks particularly crap personally. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Play really rapid, Eric johnson style pentatonics in patterns of 5
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    The general flow diagram should be:

1) Does your Gibson play OK? If yes, leave it well alone, if no move onto 2.
    2) Do not top wrap as it looks crap, ruins the plating on the tailpiece and isn't needed.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    The general flow diagram should be:

1) Does your Gibson play OK? If yes, leave it well alone, if no move onto 2.
    2) Do not top wrap as it looks crap, ruins the plating on the tailpiece and isn't needed.
    sssssshhhh you PRS playing dentist wannabe :-P
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I had to ask as I'm just trying to make the guitar the best player that I can but if there are no benefits to doing it then I'll pass. I really couldn't give two hoots what it looks like as long as it plays well.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    It's worth trying, certainly in my experience it gives a slinkier playing feel. It does often feel like everyone on this forum hates absolutely everything...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    I liked it until I swapped for a tonepros abr1... then the whole thing rattled like crazy so switched back to standard stringing 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    As stated it effs your tailpiece up so be prepared for that.  Otherwise screw the bastard right down and you're good to go.  I prefer it personally
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Try it and see what you think. I've done it and it changes the feel, making the strings a bit slinkier and easier to bend. I didn't really like that, but if I did like it I certainly wouldn't stop just because of how it looks.