You can now 'sponsor' the Andertons Youtube channel...apparently. EDIT - Now retracted for Patreon..

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    YouTube is going to hit the same issues the music industry did, if it didn’t already.

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis that they wanted to, didn't care about the moral aspect, could get away with it and just about trump up a half-hearted justification when challenged

FTFY

I'm not sure why the Andertons move has provoked any comment at all, they have opened a new revenue stream nobody is in any way obliged to pay for.  If it gets a few subscribers amongst big fans of the channel then fair play, if not it was a bad idea, who cares?

A few years ago they would have sold CDs of their performances etc, but there isn't much money in that these days,

I think I just wanted to know what our thoughts were, as musicians, who watch the channel.

No criticism intended of the thread my friend, to clarify it seems to have sparked an interesting discussion :)

Certainly didn't mean it as a criticism of any member or their opinion, or how they choose to express it.

I only mean I'm not sure why many of us would have a problem with what is essentially a "voluntary" contribution for the channel's content?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    YouTube is going to hit the same issues the music industry did, if it didn’t already.

i remember Pre-streaming that people would Pirate successful band’s albums on the basis that they wanted to, didn't care about the moral aspect, could get away with it and just about trump up a half-hearted justification when challenged

FTFY

I'm not sure why the Andertons move has provoked any comment at all, they have opened a new revenue stream nobody is in any way obliged to pay for.  If it gets a few subscribers amongst big fans of the channel then fair play, if not it was a bad idea, who cares?

A few years ago they would have sold CDs of their performances etc, but there isn't much money in that these days,

I think I just wanted to know what our thoughts were, as musicians, who watch the channel.

No criticism intended of the thread my friend, to clarify it seems to have sparked an interesting discussion :)

Certainly didn't mean it as a criticism of any member or their opinion, or how they choose to express it.

I only mean I'm not sure why many of us would have a problem with what is essentially a "voluntary" contribution for the channel's content?

True! Personally, I find it interesting to see how the online video review process and the amount of videos has changed so much so rapidly. If they offer discounts to the store on music equipment, that might spur some on to pay. Or, really good online lessons!
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    "What kind of stuff would you want to see in return for your $4.99?"

choking, slapping, maybe some scat (but only if it's essential to the plot).

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    vale said:

So more Bass content then, no?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    vale said:

So more Bass content then, no?
    And jazz vocal stylings as well...

Strong suggestions, I'd just re-phrase them a little before sending to Lee Anderton, they could be mis-construed ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Rox said:
    Hmmm.. there's no option for sponsored silence...?

I've no bother either way, but if the sponsorship ends up with the channel giving more educational content, that's fine.  If it's just asking people to pay to watch glorified adverts, that's very ropey, although people have a choice whether to pony up the spondoolicks.
    If you send me a fiver a month I'll explain how to never watch another Andertons video.

For a tenner a month I'll explain how to extend the advice to cover any number of other publishers.

:)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
     They had an advert on the back cover of Guitarist boasting about 100,000,000 YouTube views. This is what your channel subscription will pay for.

The gear they play is used for shop demo anyway, so all they are out is cost of the camera sound gear and the wages of those involved (which probably comes from advertising budget) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've always thought that if I won the lottery or something I'd like to sponsor some of my favourite YouTube channels. I've already made some cd, download etc. Purchases to support some rather than actually wanting them.

Anderton's wouldn't even be close to being on my list though but I would continue to buy gear from them so their YouTube vids would still allow them a share of my winnings
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
     They had an advert on the back cover of Guitarist boasting about 100,000,000 YouTube views. This is what your channel subscription will pay for.

The gear they play is used for shop demo anyway, so all they are out is cost of the camera sound gear and the wages of those involved (which probably comes from advertising budget) 
    Probably a good thing that you're not their accountant, because you forgot a few little things. Off the top of my head...

- the cost of the premises (they bought a house for it to keep it away from the noise of the warehouse and the shop)
    - the additional business rates
    - soundproofing and acoustic treatment
    - paying the guys (I believe Rob, Bea and Pete are all freelance)
    - editing
    - promotion for the channel itself
    - paying guests (might come as a shock to know that Steve Vai, John Petrucci et al don't do this sort of thing for free)...etc etc.

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    - paying guests (might come as a shock to know that Steve Vai, John Petrucci et al don't do this sort of thing for free)...etc etc.

Ooooo now that is interesting. Any ideas what the rate is? Unless of course they have an album/tour/product to plug and then it would be less/foc?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    rsvmark said:

Ooooo now that is interesting. Any ideas what the rate is? Unless of course they have an album/tour/product to plug and then it would be less/foc?
    Absolutely no idea, and sometimes they put those on in conjunction with masterclass appearances (which are promotion in themselves), so it's probably a bit hard to quantify.

Still, I can't imagine it's cheap for the higher-end guests.
    <space for hire>
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Adam_MD said:
    Out of curiosity how many of you chaps are patrons of any of the YouTube channels you watch and if so which ones?  
    I give to Adam Neely's Patreon. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018

Probably a good thing that you're not their accountant, because you forgot a few little things. Off the top of my head...

- the cost of the premises (they bought a house for it to keep it away from the noise of the warehouse and the shop)
    - editing
    Why would they need to keep a soundproof room away from the noise of the warehouse and the shop? 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    rsvmark said:
    Aren't these guys paid by the guitar manufacturers to promote their products?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Seems a bit to me like they want to have their cake and eat it.

If Richer Sounds came out and said they're making a loss on their video and promotional material, no one would sponsor them.

Even if they do make a small loss on this side of the business, it is certainly in part advertising, so they can't complain too much because the bread and butter of their business wouldn't be thriving as much without the YouTube presence. Not to mention all the exposure it's given the guys involved, who now all gets tickets to all the events round the year, get to go and do stuff with other brands etc.

I think it's just Andertons being Andertons, they're forward thinking, they explore new revenue streams, and I guess despite a few of us thinking it's a bit cheap, overall they'll still be better off financially in the end, and money means far more than integrity these days, apparently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Jack_ said:

money means far more than integrity these days, apparently.
    It ought to, if you have employees with families to feed. Nothing noble in going bust and putting them all on the dole if you can legally and ethically avoid it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited June 2018
    Sporky said:
    Jack_ said:

money means far more than integrity these days, apparently.
    It ought to, if you have employees with families to feed. Nothing noble in going bust and putting them all on the dole if you can legally and ethically avoid it. 
    I know, I've had to downgrade my wife from a Bentley to a Range Rover to take our Labradoodle to puppy training classes in, hence I'm also starting a patreon.
    Freebird said:

- editing
    Why would they need to keep a soundproof room away from the noise of the warehouse and the shop? 
    Because the shop and the warehouse kick out more noise than they can keep out at reasonable cost, self-evidently.
    Freebird said:
    rsvmark said:

Ahhhh...so it's not that musicians should do it for free in return for the exposure, they should do it for free in return for their endorsers' exposure? Got it.

Why don't you give Steve a call and book him for an event, then tell him he's doing it for free on that basis? Let us know what he says.
    <space for hire>

Freebird said:
    rsvmark said:

Ahhhh...so it's not that musicians should do it for free in return for the exposure, they should do it for free in return for their endorsers' exposure? Got it.

Why don't you give Steve a call and book him for an event, then tell him he's doing it for free on that basis? Let us know what he says.
    I'm pretty sure he's suggesting that they're paid by their endorser to do these videos, not just endorsing their endorser for free.

Not sure about the Vai one, but the Petrucci one was very Musicman heavy, as were Nick Johnston and Keith Merrow with Schecter; do these guys not get paid by their endorsers for doing this?
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    edited June 2018

thegummy said:
    I've bought a few things from them and I've only heard of them from YouTube. One product they were the exclusive dealers but the other 2 are sales they've made from their channel.

Saying that, I've bought from other places that don't have YouTube channels so I might well have found them through Google anyway.

The channel is 100 percent to promote sales though, there are no objective reviews what so ever. There's a video of some amp modeler that they were trying to shift and it gets compared to the Amplifire. The Amplifire could have been set better by a monkey so it seems to me that it was deliberately meant to sound worse than the focused item. Yet compare that to the video where they are promoting the Amplifire itself and it's apparently indistinguishable from the tube amps it simulates.

Basically treat the videos as infomercials, not sincere reviews.
    What are they selling when they interview a big name player?
    The big player's signature gear?