Help with choosing an amp for home

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
Probably adding to another million threads but I am sure some good folk would chime in here

So, thinking of buying me a bday present and although I have had extensive musical training etc, I am mostly now confined to what is described as bedroom guitarist.

So what would you recommend : champ , a sportsman, a kemper?? 

I mostly interested in cleans.

Again thank you 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    You know I'm going to say a Champ  :)  but have you considered one of these?:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/117410/fender-hrd-blues-master-volume-module#latest

which allows you to consider a hot rod deluxe or a blues deluxe even for home use.  Both amps are great for cleans and this little device turned my blues deluxe from a tyrant in the home to a really useable amp with little to no impact on tone.  It also means that should you need to gig or whatever you've got the facility.  Weight may be a factor though?

Another small amp that I've heard good things about, but no personal experience, is the Backstar HT-1.  No doubt I'll be put right by someone but I seem to read, and hear friends say, they are good.

My own personal view is that if a medium sized amp is good enough it will sound good at any volume - even at really low volume.  My Tone King Imperial (20w) sounds sublime clean even at very low volumes and so I just use that now for all purposes.  (Hence the sale of the Champ/Rift Tweed 5).  The more modern Imperials come with an attenuator I think, but mine doesn't.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    Much depends on budget but a versatile amp with good cleans check out the fender super champ x2 and boss katana 50
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    If you want to learn/confirm that you can play guitar, get yourself a Pignose.  Runs on batteries, sounds like itself but it reveals every single flaw in your playing technique.

For what it does, it is about as good as it gets.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited June 2018
    gringopig said:
    I have a 135 Watt Fender Twin reverb and it sounds awesome at low volumes!
    At the same volume as a silverface Champ, the big speakers give a lush bottom end and it can't be beat for a clean sound so you don't need to limit yourself to tiny wee amps. At lower volumes a small amp like the Champ or the Blackstar can sound a tad anaemic. 
    The Tone King amp has a built in attenuator and I was looking at a Carr Mercury V with the sub 4 Watt mode before I bought my Victory V40 Deluxe.

Agree, most big amps sound very good at low volumes. I have the Fender Supersonic 100w twin and it is a big beast of 90lbs or so maybe not a bedroom players amp unless you have huge rooms LOL If he can get away with the bulk then the bigger the better haha I also have an Engl 100w head that I use at low volumes with a Jettenuator at home which also is surprisingly sweet at low volumes too. But neither are portable that's for sure. Budget and size restrictions would be useful to assist further
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    bazxkr said:
    gringopig said:
    I have a 135 Watt Fender Twin reverb and it sounds awesome at low volumes!
    At the same volume as a silverface Champ, the big speakers give a lush bottom end and it can't be beat for a clean sound so you don't need to limit yourself to tiny wee amps. At lower volumes a small amp like the Champ or the Blackstar can sound a tad anaemic. 
    The Tone King amp has a built in attenuator and I was looking at a Carr Mercury V with the sub 4 Watt mode before I bought my Victory V40 Deluxe.

Agree, most big amps sound very good at low volumes. I have the Fender Supersonic 100w twin and it is a big beast of 90lbs or so maybe not a bedroom players amp unless you have huge rooms LOL If he can get away with the bulk then the bigger the better haha I also have an Engl 100w head that I use at low volumes with a Jettenuator at home which also is surprisingly sweet at low volumes too. But neither are portable that's for sure. Budget and size restrictions would be useful to assist further
    Thank you all for the replies!

Budget Wise, I am fairly flexible (up to 2K)  but size wise, it needs to be a compact combo ..or a Kemper.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    edited June 2018
    A little heard of amp, but a stunning 1x12 combo built by a chap (Andy Thornton) over Yorkshire way. 2 channel, around 20watts, and with some interesting channel mix options (clean+dirty, clean-into-dirty). As far as possible, all the construction is with components sourced in UK/built by Andy (for instance the knobs are all cast resin by himself).
    Very versatile, and sounds cracking at home volumes either clean or dirty.
    If you are near Stirling, you are welcome to pop over and have a shot on mine.
    The amp is called 'Dexter' and the company 'Thornton Amps'. 

Cheers,
    Adam

P.S. DrBob, of tFB, has one, and could probably give you more info.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Have you considered the handwired AC4 on sale in the amp section? I've tried normal AC4s and always liked them.  Not too massive but 12 inch speaker.
    That's a pretty healthy budget.........think I'd go find a pretty Fender Princeton limited edition for around a grand and spend the rest of your budget o another geetar LOL If you really need all the bells and whistles of a kemper then no real comptetiton for that
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    bazxkr said:
    That's a pretty healthy budget.........think I'd go find a pretty Fender Princeton limited edition for around a grand and spend the rest of your budget o another geetar LOL If you really need all the bells and whistles of a kemper then no real comptetiton for that
    Hate to admit I let a Princeton go and it always sort of comes up as one of th best options.

and no .. I doubt I d use the kempers bells and whistles. It’s more about having 4-5 very good different sounds available in box that takes almost zero space...plus the whole idea of this machine that sucks the souls out of amps is really nice :).

I did play one once and was pretty impressive but that is always the case with new “toys” that come out and will continue to do so. 

I think i need to visit visit a couple of shops this weekend..
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    As I know you like a Tweed clean, what about the LazyJ 20 for sale in the classifieds?  Those that know are suggesting it’s a very good deal.  I played one about a week ago and it did sound rather nice - and that was at low volume.  It was amazingly light too but it didn’t have the term or reverb.  I imagine they come into their own at high volume though.