strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    mark123 said:
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them …
    I totally understand, personally I give them 24hrs, however….in my language, until MONEY is paid, word is worthless. 

If you are online and posted a message to take it then you have time to Paypal it over, it takes the length to put in their email address really.  
    @RaymondLin , wouldn't that mean that sellers would have to list their email address in the listing to ensure that they received the payment? Also, what happens if the seller steps away from the computer for five minutes and comes back to have received PMs from any number of buyers who've paid up and expect their goods.

I'm not sure that is a wise way of doing stuff.  As a buyer I've found it easy enough to wait for an email confirming that the item is available and mine, pending payment. YMMV
    No.  You say "I'll take this for £100, lets go to PM"

Then you go to PM and say "give me your email address and I'll send money over, just to let you know I got an early morning so if you can get back to me before midnight, I'll pop it over".

Then the onus is on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    I think it might be good for your health at this point to let it go.
    To be fair chap, @mark123 (prior to this morning) last posted on this thread June 8th. Everyone else has kept the thread going...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    lonestar said:
    prlgmnr said:
    To be fair chap, @mark123 (prior to this morning) last posted on this thread June 8th. Everyone else has kept the thread going...
    cheers for that i never thought it would escalate this far,must have touched a nerve.
     Lets call it a day, I'm cool about it ,left no negitive feedback for the seller ,so lets all drop it ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited June 2018
    As is clearly evident - everyone has differing standards of integrity and fairness, so inevitably everyone will be on the shit end of a seller's stick at some point (I certainly have - though not on here yet). 

I do use a first come first serve procedure but, by that I mean I will do my utmost (and give every chance) to complete the sale with the first person to contact me with an interest to buy, and NOT the first person to my door with the cash. 

If any subsequent interest is shown then an orderly queue is formed, and all potential buyers are accurately informed of their position in the line should the first person pull out. 

As a seller I would certainly give someone a few days (or more) to respond to any message(s) before gazumping them. 

Communication from both sides is the key, as is treating others how you'd like to be treated. 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    lonestar said:
    prlgmnr said:
    Maybe hes only just woke up! 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    OMG.... SSTTTTOOOOOPPPPPP !!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    I agree, at least the seller could have sent a message asking if you really wanted it before selling elsewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I'd like to think that honesty and integrity are still the heart of this forum.
    It might be easier to build a reputation for honesty and integrity if members bothered to leave trading feedback. 
    Very new here but have purchased two items from the classifieds in the space of 3 days for an upcoming project. Both transactions were smooth, faultless and very quickly delivered. Both members were asked if they wanted feedback left and both said nah don’t worry about it. I guess it’s not that important to many people. It’s not eBay after all.

I agree with the OP fwiw, I would personally give it 24 hours before selling it to someone else. Appreciate that’s not the same for everyone and ultimately cash is king, so I can’t blame the seller for selling.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    One thing is for sure though. Be rest assured they'll be another along soon and probably for a better price ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    TTony said:
    mark123 said:
    I think unless you arrange to make payment - and do so quickly - ‘I’ll take it’ is little more than an expression of interest.

The number of times I’ve e-mailed pictures and answered potential buyers’ questions - only to have them go silent - has made me a tad cynical....
    sorry mate I'll take them in my language means i will take them ...
    Yep, Im with you Mark... our forum, imho, is based on intergrity. But there’s a lot of good good people on here
    I think that's where we started.

Back in the day, the Classifieds was a useful add-on to the community that allowed people to buy/sell/trade as part of being in the community.

That's changed.

The seller in this instance isn't really a member of the community.  He's a freeloader who happily uses the platform to sell stuff, but contributes nothing to any other aspect of the community, so - I would conclude - has little interest in the community or its (original) values.  

In that world, cash is indeed king, and he satisfies his objectives in using the forum by selling stuff.  A quick sale is (I'm assuming) what he wants.  

So, he's not being underhand or unfair or any other negative - he's just using the forum in the way that he wants to and the rules allow him to, albeit in a way that's at odds with the expectations of some who've been here a while and are genuine members of the wider community.  Different strokes for different folks.

[edit]
    The above probably sounds more critical of him that he deserves - there's no rule here that says you *must* contribute to other sections and we freely allow people to freeload.  It sounds more critical because my personal view (whether idealistic, naive or whatever) is that the community should be wider than the Classifieds alone, and because the freeloading approach doesn't sit comfortably with me.
    Why dont you invoke a rule of 100 posts or so prior to allowing classified posts. This would certainly deter the faction that join purely to sell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    TTony said:
    mark123 said:

Yep, Im with you Mark... our forum, imho, is based on intergrity. But there’s a lot of good good people on here

Back in the day, the Classifieds was a useful add-on to the community that allowed people to buy/sell/trade as part of being in the community.

That's changed.

The seller in this instance isn't really a member of the community.  He's a freeloader who happily uses the platform to sell stuff, but contributes nothing to any other aspect of the community, so - I would conclude - has little interest in the community or its (original) values.  

In that world, cash is indeed king, and he satisfies his objectives in using the forum by selling stuff.  A quick sale is (I'm assuming) what he wants.  

So, he's not being underhand or unfair or any other negative - he's just using the forum in the way that he wants to and the rules allow him to, albeit in a way that's at odds with the expectations of some who've been here a while and are genuine members of the wider community.  Different strokes for different folks.

[edit]
    The above probably sounds more critical of him that he deserves - there's no rule here that says you *must* contribute to other sections and we freely allow people to freeload.  It sounds more critical because my personal view (whether idealistic, naive or whatever) is that the community should be wider than the Classifieds alone, and because the freeloading approach doesn't sit comfortably with me.
    Why dont you invoke a rule of 100 posts or so prior to allowing classified posts. This would certainly deter the faction that join purely to sell.
    Yeah, but every new user would post 100 posts of pure drivel to get classifieds access.

The whole forum would be full of drivel...

..oh hang on..
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    TTony said:
    mark123 said:

That's changed.

[edit]
    If someone wants to come on here and sell at a price that is fruit of there being no fees and an easier deal, and thus members get a good deal, then why stop any potential for transactions to happen?
    TTony said:
    mark123 said:

That's changed.

[edit]
    Yeah, but every new user would post 100 posts of pure drivel to get classifieds access.

The whole forum would be full of drivel...

..oh hang on..
    I posted 100 posts of pure drivel and all I got was this lousy...

Nothing. :(
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited June 2018
    Jack_ said:
    If someone wants to come on here and sell at a price that is fruit of there being no fees and an easier deal, and thus members get a good deal, then why stop any potential for transactions to happen?
    I don't see a shortage of forum-ites wanting to take advantage of such offers so surely we can deduce that the concensus is that people are happy with this practice?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Jack_ said:
    I don't see a shortage of forum-ites wanting to take advantage of such offers so surely we can deduce that the concensus is that people are happy with this practice?
    A few might not be, but ultimately you can't fight the rising tide; the way the classifieds works here has developed organically into what it is now, because ultimately like you say, people want a good deal, and if that comes from someone with 10 frets or 10,000 frets, then it's largely by the by.
    Jack_ said:
    Jack_ said:
    A few might not be, but ultimately you can't fight the rising tide; the way the classifieds works here has developed organically into what it is now, because ultimately like you say, people want a good deal, and if that comes from someone with 10 frets or 10,000 frets, then it's largely by the by.
    Everyone who uses the classifieds should remember that the guys that own and run this site provide the classifieds for members FOC - it costs them time and effort to run and manage them, but most importantly real hard cash to host and license the software. 

The “rising tide” can do whatever it likes - if too many come along and take the piss, those that have to shell out real cash to keep it all working will walk, and it won’t exist any more. The fretboard isn’t a democracy, and membership isn’t a right it’s a privilege.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    TJT1979 said:
    I agree, at least the seller could have sent a message asking if you really wanted it before selling elsewhere.
    I know I would and always have done but then I am a very decent full of integrity chap ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    To whomever lol trolled my post - I’m sure @TTony and @digitalscream would be interested to know why you think it’s funny that they have to stump up money so that the fretboard can continue and you can enjoy it for free.

Why not man up and actually comment on it rather than hiding behind an anonymous lol? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    To whomever lol trolled my post - I’m sure @TTony and @digitalscream would be interested to know why you think it’s funny that they have to stump up money so that the fretboard can continue and you can enjoy it for free.

Why not man up and actually comment on it rather than hiding behind an anonymous lol? 
    I think there is now an argument that access to the classifieds should either be earned - or paid for with a small annual fee. No one in their right mind would pay for this place to exist AND tolerate criticism for doing so - even if that’s in the form of an ‘ironic’ lol....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641

Cunts are everywhere, mate.

Frankly this thread is rapidly spiralling into the mire. The facts are this:

1) the OP is upset that he thought he had 'dibs' on something, went to bed and found the seller had sold to someone else.
    2) the seller accepted an offer from someone else who could pay up before the OP woke up.

Whether or not you side with 1 or 2 depends on many factors (and probably how many times you've been taken for a ride by either a buyer who changes his mind or a seller who is impatient). There are many things that could have been done differently by both sides to avoid this situation from occurring.

Everything else is opinion/gravy.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.