Gumtree Content: The height of laziness...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

...could well be this...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Simple soldering repair ... or a total lack of understanding about switching TRS jack sockets.

IMHO, the gig bag is worth more than the Shine "bass".

Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    To be honest that would really annoy me.

I don't think I could ever go for an active bass or guitar purely on the basis that I wouldn't want to have to think about changing the battery.

Shame because I quite fancy an Epiphone thunderbird and the colour I like comes active.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    You have to admire the guy in a way
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    thegummy said:
    To be honest that would really annoy me.

I don't think I could ever go for an active bass or guitar purely on the basis that I wouldn't want to have to think about changing the battery.

Shame because I quite fancy an Epiphone thunderbird and the colour I like comes active.
    Changing is infrequent, and if you get a couple of rechargeables on rotation it's nothing.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
     it’s not uncommon for people to turn up with a bass they have had years that has stopped working.  

You ask if they have changed the battery to be greeted by the same response every time.  

“What battery”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    thegummy said:
    I wouldn't want to have to think about changing the battery.
    I suspect that the issue with the eBay auction bass is that somebody has performed a bodge soldering repair to the output jack socket.

On many active stringed instruments, the three contacts on the output jack socket are configured as;
    Tip = "Hot" output.
    Ring = Ground for onboard battery power (this connection is broken whenever the audio lead is removed).
    Sleeve = System ground.

If the battery ground is mistakenly connected to the system ground, the battery power is constantly being drawn - even when the output cable is disconnected. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    thegummy said:
    I wouldn't want to have to think about changing the battery.
    I suspect that the issue with the eBay auction bass is that somebody has performed a bodge soldering repair to the output jack socket.

On many active stringed instruments, the three contacts on the output jack socket are configured as;
    Tip = "Hot" output.
    Ring = Ground for onboard battery power (this connection is broken whenever the audio lead is removed).
    Sleeve = System ground.

If the battery ground is mistakenly connected to the system ground, the battery power is constantly being drawn - even when the output cable is disconnected. 
    I once bought an SG Special where rather than fit a proper jack and get it wired, the guy put an on/off toggle switch coming through the rear cavity plate.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Cheap though - even if it does need a new battery....