Eating crap days

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    strtdv said:
    Well that got off track quickly.

To bring it vaguely back on track I had takeaway pizza and hot wings yesterday, and will be having the leftovers of said pizza today.

As far as cutting out carbs completely goes, you can't do it. "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame", look the Krebs cycle, you need pyruvate (sourced from carbs) to form the oxaloacetate required to oxidise acetyl co A (sourced from fat).
    You can get away with a small amount of carbs but you can't do without completely.

This is why when you're doing an endurance sport like distance running or cycling you can run a long distance in the "fat burning zone" by taking small amounts of carbs regularly. The carbs "unlock" the fat burning potential (long after you've run out of glycogen/"hit the wall").

There's some evidence that the Atkins/ketogenic diet actually works as a calorie controlled diet, you simply eat fewer calories as you can't face eating any more dry protein.

One of the things he did on the show was to have a sports drink ( ie carbs) in his mouth without swallowing which apparently tricks the brain into thinking you are consuming carbs. I felt that the downside of doing this regularly would be that your teeth would fall out, although he didn't mention that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    strtdv said:
    Well that got off track quickly.

To bring it vaguely back on track I had takeaway pizza and hot wings yesterday, and will be having the leftovers of said pizza today.

As far as cutting out carbs completely goes, you can't do it. "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame", look the Krebs cycle, you need pyruvate (sourced from carbs) to form the oxaloacetate required to oxidise acetyl co A (sourced from fat).
    You can get away with a small amount of carbs but you can't do without completely.

This is why when you're doing an endurance sport like distance running or cycling you can run a long distance in the "fat burning zone" by taking small amounts of carbs regularly. The carbs "unlock" the fat burning potential (long after you've run out of glycogen/"hit the wall").

There's some evidence that the Atkins/ketogenic diet actually works as a calorie controlled diet, you simply eat fewer calories as you can't face eating any more dry protein.

Just to mention gluconeogenesis, in the absence of non carbohydrate substrates , minimal glucose can be obtained from protein breakdown , the heart and the brain do very well on ketones in fact it is the brains prefered fuel when both are present ...  just sayin ;)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I'm not hugely well read on the subject, but would you be able to point me to studies backing that point up?

My understanding (though limited) is that the brain generally uses glucose as a primary energy source (it has mainly GLUT1 transporters which are not insulin controlled as such), and that in the presence of ketone bodies there is a sparing effect on the glucose consumption in the brain, which to my mind implies that it is the glucose which is "preferred" rather than the ketone bodies, as the brain recognises a starvation state and therefore conserves the glucose.
    (There are studies involving functional MRI scanning in rats which back this up)

Happy to be shown otherwise though.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • westwest Frets: 994
    i'll see if i can find anything ;)  are you aware of peters blog Hyperlipid  he's a clever chap ,  a lot of it goes over my head but i try ..... http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

im sure your aware or the 80 90% fat keto diets used for child epilepsy to vastly reduce or stop siezures ...

also there are many fully keto adapted endurance athletes out there now , if there stupid enough to do such events ...

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Sporky said:
    I don't like the New York Bagels. 
    Neither do I, especially as the last packet we bought had mouse shit inside one of the bagels. Never eaten them since. (We got a £5 voucher off them, to spend on more bagels. Riiiight, thanks for that!)