Too old to rock??

What's Hot
erky32erky32 Frets: 49
Is there an age limit?
The Stones don't have one!!
I'm younger , 70 next birthday, played all my life, small time gigged most of it, and still gigging with 2 full bands and one acoustic trio. I'm preferring the acoustic trio more these days, - less gear, less hype, easier on the ears bla bla, but I'm still leading the two other bands with lead guitar & vocals. But when we're setting up in front of folk half my age , I've got to wonder what they think this old white haired guy is going to achieve?? - if they hang around they're always happy with some good Clapton/Knopfler/ZZtop etc tunes being knocked out. But I can't help thinking , maybe the acoustic is the easy way to slide out of the scene. Acoustic to me is playing the same tunes but with an electro-acoustic & percussion, ......same old tunes played at less volume & without a strat/SG or valve amp.
I do live & play in the South of France for last 15 years where the scene is different in a very nice way, more relaxed, often outdoors, ...any other folk asking the same question?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Never too old to rock. If you're enjoying yourself then why stop?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Some people gave up in thier 20s when life got real, others banged on for years.
    I'm a decade younger than you but still gig three bands and dep a bit as well as do some theatre work once a year. I complain when other work interferes, but I'll carry on while I can do it. In one country band I'm the young boy! There is a Thursday lunch club of musicians locally that are of pensionable age, I think there are at least half a dozen most weeks and sometimes more. They mostly still gig with various bands.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Never too old.

Mind you, if you have reinvented rock and roll in your own image, anybody over 23 will unlikely become a God to the youth.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I've spent my entire adult life playing in bands, and I'm in 30's now, haven't played in my own band for over a year now. I enjoy performing, just not the hassle of setting up a band, rehearsing, and getting everything up to level and seeking shows, getting the fanbase etc etc. The idea of a paid covers band appeals, learn some tunes and play for a couple of hours to drunk punters. Get paid. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I'm 49 and gig in 4 bands plus play with a Shadows club and am the house guitarist in 3 jam nights a month. In one band I'm in (Kate Bush tribute) the youngest member is 21, at  the Shadows club one of the drummers is 84 and most of the guitarists are in their seventies so I'm treated like a youngster there :)

I always feel if you do a good job then being older isn't a problem .... with age comes experience and skills generally. I feel I'm a better player now than I was at 25. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Haha! .... some good comments, I'm sure I'll never stop gigging - it can be a hassle, but the enjoyment pays off always. When you've lived thru the best music going - it's difficult to not continue it!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I'm 63 and gig regularly with two cover bands and occasionaly get the old NWOBHM band out of mothballs for a festival date. I'll happily admit that humping gear and driving long distances isn't as easy as it once was but I'll carry on doing it as long as I can. I have invested in some Neo Creambacks though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom