Doobie valve amplifier

What's Hot
ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Son just asked about one from France on a bad phone link in a car with 13 other  French people who sounded pissed so all I got was "Doobie, amp, valve".

A Google shows it might be collectable?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Alternatively he coulda been saying he bought a valve amp while stonned :lol: 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    mr-mac said:
    Alternatively he coulda been saying he bought a valve amp while stonned :lol: 

No, HE was quite sober but it was hard to hear because of the rest.

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Good grief IC! Those are an assault to the senses and good taste! I was rather hoping someone knew if they sounded ok, were reliable and what second hand stuff was worth? Guess I shall have to wait for a model number from him. Don't hold yer breaths chaps!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state. It’s not impossible some were valve, I don’t know - the most common Boogie copy that is is the ‘Mesia’ by Zoom-Aidean... I’ve never been able to find out if they’re related to the modern Zoom company, but it wouldn’t surprise me!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state. It’s not impossible some were valve, I don’t know - the most common Boogie copy that is is the ‘Mesia’ by Zoom-Aidean... I’ve never been able to find out if they’re related to the modern Zoom company, but it wouldn’t surprise me!

Ah! So you think the name might be a form of "passing off" in the hope that people think of Boogie? Never occurred to me!

BTW. When I posted a question about loopers*  I got reminder emails as you helpful peeps chirped in. Why am I not getting similar updates about Doobie?

*jam Man coming TODAY!

Dave.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Oh wow, the amps look really cool,like 1960's robots :) 

Not so keen on the guitars, but amps look super duper!
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited June 2018
    As per IC the only Doobie I remember was a small solid state Japanese one that had a genuine spring Reverb. On the very rare chance it is this model, I still have a couple of NOS output chips (Toshiba I think) which anyone is welcome to have.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state.
    At least one of these appears in the HarrySeven collection.
    Be seeing you.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    ICBM said:
    As @Funkfingers states, one *did* appear in the H7 stash - compact, solid-state, Boogie knock-off aesthetic.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

However, on another (related) topic, I am actively looking for one of the Mesia Aidean Zoom jobs...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    There was the Frank Sinatra signature model, the Doobie Doobie Doo Strangers in the Night edition. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.