SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

eBay and paypal costs

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954
peeps, what would I expect to pay eBay and PP if I sold something at 2k?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    2k plus postage both ways, potentially.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2018
    10% Ebay, including p&p, and 3% PayPal. 

£260 total assuming that £2k includes your postage charge.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
    around £280 - eBAy take 10% and then paypal is approx 4% - maybe a little less
  • Wait till they have a promo, which they email out. 

Therefore, sometimes it's zero ebay fees, so just the 3.4% PayPal charge... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    I use reverb a lot ... fees are only around 4 percent . You can get the exposure on EBay but do the sale on Reverb

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954
    Is there a reverb UK?
    tae be or not tae be
    Wait till they have a promo, which they email out. 

Would this mean zero EB fees for the duration of the ad, which could last some time?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    hootsmon said:
    Is there a reverb UK?
    I sell on reverb . Com but it makes no difference ... still Uk buyers as well as USA and everywhere else in the world. 

You dont need to use PayPal either you can have Reverb process the payment into your acount at a quarter percent. 

I haven’t switched to that but am thinking about it as EBay and PP fees are horrific these days 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    You'll pay...

eBay listing fees - varies
    eBay Final Value fee - 10%
    Paypal - 3.4%+20p
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 833
    hootsmon said:

Would this mean zero EB fees for the duration of the ad, which could last some time?
    The promos vary,  sometimes zero final value fees,  sometimes limited to a maximum amount,  e.g.  £1. The promotion has to be accepted within a certain time frame but the offers lasts for the duration of the listing whether that's 3 days or 30.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 682
    Just a word of warning that I listed a guitar on the no final value fees dealy.

For whatever reason they did it as a 30 day listing. Once the 30 days were up and it didn't sell I decided to keep it as I only really wanted to sell if I got top dollar - it was a Danelectro Convertible in seafoam green that I was very fond of.

Then I got an email saying my item was sold and that I needed to get on and post it.

Faaaaarrrrrrkkkk!

Ended up costing me a fortune to sell something that I didn't even want to sell because they'd auto-renewed it. Absolute nightmare.

If I ever have to use eBay again it'll be too soon.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 682
    edited June 2018
    Oh, and they took ages to release the proceeds of the sale back to me - about a month I think. Nothing good to say about it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been on Hotukdeals.

Ebay are doing a £3 final value fees promo over the weekend. So, everyone on ebay should get a message tomorrow. 

So, list over the next three days, using a 30 day listing, and you will get charged £3 if it sells (plus 3.4% PayPal, if the buyer uses it).
    ^ a £3 charge even although it's a 2K item?
    tae be or not tae be
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    Yes i always use the deals they are usually £1 but ill go for the £3 deal if its on this weekend doesnt matter what it sells for the deal still stands.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited June 2018
    I believe those promotional offers are sent out to selected accounts only?  I think possibly to accounts which haven't sold any stuff lately.

It usually goes like this:  Ebay sends you a message to invite you to take advantage of a promotional offer, e.g. they only charge you £1 or £3 for selling something.  You have to click a link/button in the offer message which takes you to a page where you can accept the offer.

You still get charged the usual Paypal fees.

Don't assume that you're making use of a promo unless you received an invitation and specifically accepted it.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    @bodhi ; not so. I've sold a few guitar cab speakers and a crash helmet very recently and have a couple of items on at £3 final fee.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    RevMatt said:
    hootsmon said:

The promos vary,  sometimes zero final value fees,  sometimes limited to a maximum amount,  e.g.  £1. The promotion has to be accepted within a certain time frame but the offers lasts for the duration of the listing whether that's 3 days or 30.
    but watch out for the listing checkboxes defaulting to 'automatically relist' if it doesn't sell.

while the first listing may be fee-free because it falls within the specified 'sell by' window, the relist probably won't. meaning if it sells on the second showing, you get hit for the lot.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited June 2018
    MtB said:
    @bodhi ;;; not so. I've sold a few guitar cab speakers and a crash helmet very recently and have a couple of items on at £3 final fee.
    It has happened at least twice to me in the past that I received promo offers, went and clicked on the button or link to accept the offer, and then get a message saying something like "you've already accepted this offer".  Didn't give it that much thought at the time, but perhaps they kind of auto enroll you in some offers.

Just saying don't assume anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom