Recording Bass getting a good sound

What's Hot
barrydbarryd Frets: 25
Hi All

I recently thanks to the fantastic help on this forum bought my first Bass guitar.  I play lead and acoustic normally so its all new to me learning Bass.  I mainly just do home recording for fun and needed a proper bass sound rather than use an effect on my guitar pedal with a Les Paul type guitar.

However I am struggling to get the right sound.  Its fine through a bass amp but I record via the PC through either my M Audio interface or my Zoom G3 Guitar pedal.  Now clearly the latter is designed for a six string guitar not a bass.  I did a recording last night and just added a bit of reverb but it sounds a bit thin.  Someone described it as sounding like it was being played through six inch speakers.

Has anyone put a bass through a guitar pedal?  What sort of effects and stuff should I be looking to use to get that really meaty low end sound?

Its just a cheap peavy Millennium Bass nothing fancy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    What program are you using to record? There might be an effect plugin already included for bass sounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It can work well DI into the interface with no pedal depending on the pickups you have.. but I find the best results if not DI is using a preamp/DI pedal designed for bass. 

At the cheap end of the scale, I have the Hotone B:Station and it's flipping good for the cash - lots of stuff to tweak and a good EQ to get it right.
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Thanks.  I am using Audacity to record.  I know I Can mess about with equalisers etc in there I just was hoping to get some good sounds through the pedal.  I havent really messed about too much with it just through the M Audio interface with no effects so will try that again.  I just lined it up through the G3 just now with an equaliser and a bit of reverb and its ok but not great.  Clearly all the amp modules on the G3 are guitar amps "Marshall 59" etc.  I wonder if there is one that might pass as a bass amp.

I dont have a clue what Im doing you know. Its just trial and error.  :#
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Try a Bassman and maybe some compression
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Behringer BDI is great and easy on the pocket. Or the GDI will so do guitar and bass.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    Simplest solution is to buy a Bass Sansamp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Simplest solution is to buy a Bass Sansamp
    Quite spendy tho. Agreed it's a good solution. 
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    if you can find one the old korg Pandora px4d is a really useful piece of kit for guitar & bass
    Thanks folks.  More money!!! FFS!  =)  The Bass purchase last week was almost the Divorce courts so anything else and ill be out on the street.  :#  ITs ok though.  I couldnt sneak the bass in the house but I could easily get one of those little pedals past her. 

Any road up.  Ive had a couple of hours fart about.  I dont think it helps that my PC monitors are a not that beefy.  Good sound but it all sounds much better through my other PC which has a 2:1 with a Sub under the desk.  However I did several tests and the results were interesting.  

Just through the M Audio with no effects its a bit dull, a bit quiet and not very bassey.  Through the G3 with effects but no amp it sounds better but not very deep.  Well it is a lead guitar pedal.

However when I bought my bass second hand it came with a 15w Fender Rumble Bass Amp (well it was pretty much thrown in) so I plugged into that, put the phones outlet into the G3 and added reverb, maybe chorus and a bit of equaliser and there was that sound I Was after.  However there is a lot of hiss that way which of course I can remove in Audacity and it sounded ok but worra fart about.

One of these pedals presumably will do what the bass amp is doing then?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    edited June 2018
    (Edit - found a pic of the back. No Line Out jack.)

Try connecting the headphone out to the audio interface directly, not via the G3. That should produce much less hiss. If you then want reverb etc, add that at the computer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

barryd said:
    Thanks folks.  More money!!! FFS!  =)  The Bass purchase last week was almost the Divorce courts so anything else and ill be out on the street.  :#  ITs ok though.  I couldnt sneak the bass in the house but I could easily get one of those little pedals past her. 

Any road up.  Ive had a couple of hours fart about.  I dont think it helps that my PC monitors are a not that beefy.  Good sound but it all sounds much better through my other PC which has a 2:1 with a Sub under the desk.  However I did several tests and the results were interesting.  

Just through the M Audio with no effects its a bit dull, a bit quiet and not very bassey.  Through the G3 with effects but no amp it sounds better but not very deep.  Well it is a lead guitar pedal.

However when I bought my bass second hand it came with a 15w Fender Rumble Bass Amp (well it was pretty much thrown in) so I plugged into that, put the phones outlet into the G3 and added reverb, maybe chorus and a bit of equaliser and there was that sound I Was after.  However there is a lot of hiss that way which of course I can remove in Audacity and it sounded ok but worra fart about.

Exactly that - and in a controlled, tweakable way with no background hum/hiss.

TBH it would actually sound much better than the amp and will be more adjustable.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    My Zoom B3 would do that and you're already familiar with that kind of format from the G3 ;)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2931
    Can recommend the EDEN wtdi. Has a balanced output for hum free injection to your interface. Pre-amp, compressor, tone controls etc... sounds like a proper bass amp on recordings. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited June 2018
    barryd said:
    I dont think it helps that my PC monitors are a not that beefy.  Good sound but it all sounds much better through my other PC which has a 2:1 with a Sub under the desk.  However I did several tests and the results were interesting.  
    Computer 2:1 loudspeaker arrays with a sub-woofer are designed for gamers. To get a dramatic sound from such small drivers, the low frequencies are boosted to a ridiculous degree.

In plain English, computer-oriented 2:1 'speakers are not suitable for critical monitoring of music content.
    barryd said:
    added reverb
    Why?

Reverb rarely enhances bass guitar very much. More often than not, it makes the lower frequencies indistinct.

One solution is to divide the bass guitar signal and only apply reverb processing to the high frequencies. Another is to apply a short delay with modulation. (Instant Jaco Pastorius.)

On the Zoom G3, try to find a clean DI preset as a starting point. Compression or limiting will help with recorded level control. Equalisation at the correct frequencies will improve the definition of your bass sound. 

barryd said:
    It's just a cheap Peavey Millennium Bass.
    All of my comments assume that the basic sound of the Peavey bass guitar is to your liking. It is possible that your computer is making extremely faithful recordings of a duff instrument.

barryd said:
    More money!!!  
    Indeed. In your position, I would begin with fresh strings and a decent set-up for the bass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    barryd said:

Exactly that - and in a controlled, tweakable way with no background hum/hiss.

TBH it would actually sound much better than the amp and will be more adjustable.
    Thanks. That sounds like the way to go.  One of those Behringer BDI boxes that Pintspiller recommended sounds cheap enough and looks pretty easy to mess about with.  Im watching one on Ebay at the moment although they are only £35 delivered new.  Clearly the Peavy Bass I bought has passive pickups so this will act as a pre amp as well as give me more tone control etc yes?

What else do I need?  Oh yeah, to be able to play the ferkin thing

A preamp/DI will certainly give you EQ control and allow for some boost which you won't get on a passive bass's tone controls.

I use a preamp/DI live and for recording and I think they are indispensable for a flexible bass tone
    wot @Funkfingers said.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    Bass Guitar > Interface DI > Helix Native (or similar amp VST)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    Freebird said:
    Bass Guitar > Interface DI > Helix Native
    £ > £££ > ££

compared to the OPs bass...!
    ...although, OP already has a bass and an interface and guitar rig player is free with a couple of bass pre-sets. Shit speakers are shit speakers though no matter how you look at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom