Telecaster Copy

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Can anyone suggest a builder making a  telecaster-ish copy for around £1500-£2000? I'm looking for something that's good quality but I'm eager to deviate from Fender seeing as, in my opinion, Fender's offerings at this price point don't justify the cost. Options I've been considering so far are a Haar Trad T or the Musicman Valentine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    There's a nice looking 'Walsh Kavod' in the classifieds at the moment.  You might also check out Suhr and Tom Anderson.  They make well engineered beautiful instruments.  If you can find one Gustavsson are worth a look, though might be over your budget.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Or buy an used Fender?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Look for a used Palir Titan. World Guitars sells them for £2,500 new, or £2,000 used. Mine has become my daily go-to guitar - it has Porter Custom Pickups, Emerson electronics, and a Mastery bridge. The feel of the roasted maple neck is amazing:

I've also tried a Tom Anderson Drop T Shorty, but I think the shorter scale length made it feel and sound less Tele-like.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Buy a Fender Mexican Classic Tele (Lacquer) and save yourself £700-£1200.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    SC Relics Nitro Tele (insert nervous grin) :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    ICBM said:
    Only seems to come in one colour though.
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    That would only be a problem if it wasn't the right one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    ICBM said:
    i guess this is not nitro? Will it age over time?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    ICBM said:
    It is nitro.

ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    That would only be a problem if it wasn't the right one :).
    I'd prefer  Lake Placid Blue, Black, Sunburst, CAR, and one or two others over that.
    glossy nitro though. 
    dean111music said:

The Lacquer models are nitro - that's the point of them.

crunchman said:

I'd prefer  Lake Placid Blue, Black, Sunburst, CAR, and one or two others over that.
    I'd like LPB too, but to be honest for the price they are you could buy one, have it refinished in any colour you like and it would still come in cheaper than a posh non-Fender copy with the wrong head shape.

glossy nitro though. 
    Just like the originals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    just read this on music radar about the finish on the 60's classic strat lacquer 

"Fender tells us these guitars have polyester undercoats, followed by five coats of Seagrave L-4540 high-solids nitrocellulose lacquer"
    just read this on music radar about the finish on the 60's classic strat lacquer 

"Fender tells us these guitars have polyester undercoats, followed by five coats of Seagrave L-4540 high-solids nitrocellulose lacquer"
    Just like the originals...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    glossy nitro though. 
    What were you expecting? ;)
    i don't really know what i'm talking about haha. 

When you look and feel customshop guitars they either have a sheen over the top or they look more satin. 

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Before the impending poly Vs nitro debate ensues, let's get back on track. Any other suggestions?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Talk to @lonestar it’ll be better than anything you can get for the same money!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Before the impending poly Vs nitro debate ensues, let's get back on track. Any other suggestions?
    I actually agree with you that Fender’s guitars at £1500-£2000 are overpriced, by the way... that’s why I suggested buying a Fender that costs half that.

If you really want to spend that much I would look for a second hand CS Light Relic, or whatever they call those now.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    If you don’t mind used, I may be about to chop out a K Line Truxton. Custom Shop quality - or better - for less!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    sorry :)

There is eternal guitars. Based in West Sussex. Chichester. 

A few pros play them and i think a couple of guy on here have them.

Do SC Relics make full guitars? Looks like just body's on the website but some full guitars made? @lonestar ??