SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

eBay and paypal costs

What's Hot

Comments

• Yep, 100% - if l you haven't clicked accept offer, following an email, you're not getting the offer.

Check your inbox tomorrow/ Sat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Official info:

"When your item sells you pay 10% of the final transaction value, including postage. We call this a final value fee. We cap final value fees so you will never pay more than £250 for a single item."

"
    Once a buyer pays for an item, the seller's PayPal account is credited with the full sum, minus PayPal's own fees(typically 3.4% plus 20p)."
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I'm a "Gumtree and Cash" kind of guy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thetomskthetomsk Frets: 98
    hootsmon said:
    Wait till they have a promo, which they email out. 

Therefore, sometimes it's zero ebay fees, so just the 3.4% PayPal charge... 

Would this mean zero EB fees for the duration of the ad, which could last some time?
    It still involves final sales fee but no listing fee. Unfortunately in the UK they have not dropped pricing to match reverb as they have in several countries...
  • iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    hootsmon said:
    Is there a reverb UK?
    ** Cough Cough**

Hit me up on PM and if you're a first time user I'll give you a free listing ! 
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Where they “get you” is they send the offer on a Friday - you click and accept - immediately list your item - but you haven’t read the small print as the “offer” starts on saturday. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    Whenever I make a listing with an £1 offer I always go to the "Selling Promotions" section and check that it's worked after i've listed it. If for any reason it's not gone through the offer I just relist it and make sure i've opted in and listed at the correct time.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Now that Reverb has introduced it's own payment process (Reverb Payments) instead of PayPal, I really don't understand why folk persist with using Fleabay for guitars & amps. You are selling to a captive market with Reverb, and you eliminate the chancers on Ebay.

Reverb charges/costs are:

Reverb selling fee: 3.5%
    Reverb Payments: payment processing fee of 2.7% + £0.25 for all orders. (3.7% for intl. payments)

So... 6.2% + £0.25
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    Reverb is great - but not enough people are using it, ebay has a bigger audience...………...hence things sell quicker on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    Definitely wait for a deal.. I sold a £3000 drumkit on eBay and my fees were £1 :)
    My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited June 2018
    I only sell music gear on Reverb now. Takes a bit longer but generally the people are nicer and Reverb aren’t a bunch of twats like eBay are! I have more luck on Reverb than the classifieds here, too. 

Reverb has lots of European buyers.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Yep, 100% - if l you haven't clicked accept offer, following an email, you're not getting the offer.

Check your inbox tomorrow/ Sat. 
    Insider trading?! ;)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Reverb is great - but not enough people are using it, ebay has a bigger audience...………...hence things sell quicker on it.

Yet the comments over the last 5 years on tFB clearly reveal Ebay as a problem, thus proving that having a larger audience isnt better, especially if those internet window shoppers are not looking to buy musical gear. That disparate market isnt as great as you think it is. Reverb targets a more focused set of buyers. And selling quickly isnt helpful either if your main driver is maximising the selling price.

We’ve covered Reverb v Ebay on tFB previously. Folk just need to give Reverb a go.

But back to the topic - selling fees. Of all the platforms/outlets - Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved, Craigslist, Reverb - Ebay is clearly the most restrictive and expensive of all. So why persist with Ebay as your sole outlet? Why Ebay at all?

Now I’ve reminded you all of the other selling platforms, why limit yourself to a single platform when selling gear when you want to maximise your chance of selling? Especially, as it's only Ebay that charges a listing fee, so you pay regardless of whether your gear sells.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Just a word of warning that I listed a guitar on the no final value fees dealy.

For whatever reason they did it as a 30 day listing. Once the 30 days were up and it didn't sell I decided to keep it as I only really wanted to sell if I got top dollar - it was a Danelectro Convertible in seafoam green that I was very fond of.

Then I got an email saying my item was sold and that I needed to get on and post it.

Faaaaarrrrrrkkkk!

Ended up costing me a fortune to sell something that I didn't even want to sell because they'd auto-renewed it. Absolute nightmare.

If I ever have to use eBay again it'll be too soon.
    So you advertised your guitar for sale on Ebay at a certain price and someone bought it. And Ebay then told you that you had to send it to the buyer and they sent you the money for it?

Jeeeez I have heard some terrible tales about Ebay but that really is shocking. Why didn't they realise that despite advertising it, you actually wanted to keep it?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    There you go, I received a £3 final fee offer.

Message in Ebay inbox:

Note "Items must sell within the first listing period", i.e. you can list items under the offer for up to 30 days, but when they get relisted the offer won't apply anymore.  So be wary of the option to automatically relist if something doesn't sell.

Clicking on the "Activate Offer" button takes you to:

But like I said, it has happened twice (that I can remember) that I click on that button to accept, but then see a message saying that I've already accepted the offer.  I can only assume that Ebay automatically activated the offers on those occasions, for whatever reason.  I remember changing my password the first time it happened, wondering if perhaps someone had in fact been in my account, clicking my buttons B)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    The best deal i should have got off Ebay was cancelled by the seller as simple as that. Just received a message after i had paid saying Sorry the seller has cancelled the order.  full refund was given. seller then just ignored me. So you always have this option if you feel cheated.
    I think to cancel you just tick the Item no longer available box.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926

I have listed my item.....how do I change the duration....  good til cancelled?

tae be or not tae be

Oh, somethin' else......better check this and be sure.....

Is the £3 max fee for 3 days or 30 days?

tae be or not tae be
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    hootsmon said:

Oh, somethin' else......better check this and be sure.....

Is the £3 max fee for 3 days or 30 days?

On listings UP TO 30 days 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Sure about that Bro?  reason I be askin' is I saw an ad for a strat that the seller said was only available for 3 days because of the value fees..... 
    tae be or not tae be