General rules to adhere to when top wrapping?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    zepp76 said:
    I had to ask as I'm just trying to make the guitar the best player that I can but if there are no benefits to doing it then I'll pass. I really couldn't give two hoots what it looks like as long as it plays well.
    Just give it a  try it bud, takes five minutes to put back if it doesnt work. And its cost the price of a set of strings. :) as others have said it can mark the tp ( esp if its chrome rather than nickel) so dont do it if that bothers you. 
    people have been top wrapping for years (even before mr bonamassa !) i think billy gibbons was the first i saw and that was decades ago but im sure he wasnt the first. Ive not found a 335 where it works well, whereas on my lps,it works very well... one of our clever guys on her maybe will know . Let us know how it goes :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    There have always been a few players who did it - the first I can think of seeing pictures of were Marc Bolan and Duane Allman - but for some reason it’s now become quite a fashion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    After reading columns in Guitarist mag extolling the wonders of top-wrapping, I laid a straight edge across the screwed-down tailpiece and bridge saddles of my CR8. I immediately concluded that top-wrapping would result in a pitiful break angle, and that was the end of that.

Hers's a gratuitous picture:

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 563
    Means I can use 11s and it feels almost like 10s so I have it on a couple of guitars. Worth a try to see for yourself if it matters. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Keefy said:
    After reading columns in Guitarist mag extolling the wonders of top-wrapping, I laid a straight edge across the screwed-down tailpiece and bridge saddles of my CR8. I immediately concluded that top-wrapping would result in a pitiful break angle, and that was the end of that.

Hers's a gratuitous picture:

I would guess that your R8 has less of a neck angle than many Standards so not a suitable subject. The angle on my Standard is more pronounced.

When I got it the set up was really good but the stop bar was pretty high which I didn't like too much.

Screwing down the bar left the string break angle very acute so I tried top wrapping after reading about  it in Dan Erlewhines book.

Suits me, and if the bar does eventually get chewed up (it hasn't so far and of course Juniors etc do it as a matter of course) how expensive  it to replace?   ;)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    You can also Bottom Wrap, so just putting it out there 'Who here prefers it in the bottom?'

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    I tried it a couple of years ago in a bid to capture some internet hipster points and broke two strings immediately, the issue being that the strings have to bend severely at the point where the ball end wrap finishes. 

On my Firebird 1 I have no choice, but I've cured the string breakage problem by feeding the plain strings through an old ball end first, to act as a spacer. 

There really is no point on a bridge/tailpiece setup - the tailpiece is height adjustable for break angle anyway and you can just bung washers under it if you want it bolted down tight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Keefy said:
    Exactly, because your one was made right.

Nice guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I use this ^

However, if the neck angle on your guitar isn't bad, maybe it's shouldn't be a priority for you. Mine's a little off, so I do and it works perfectly and plays fantastic. YMMV.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    I like the idea of screwing the stop bar all the way down, seems more solid with better string vibration transmission into the body so I always do that and top wrapping will follow. But on my 2001 studio I did that, the break angle is fine so I don’t have to top wrap. Win!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Top Ranking Rule no.1 - No Trainers.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    .. streethawk can help with the faber stuff if anyone was interested. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom