Wireless guitar transceivers ?

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Emp_Fab said:
    1 & 4 are cable, 2 & 3 are radio.

In short, I’d have been better off with a pizza.

Conclusion - £13’s worth of radio gear sounds like a pizza.
    Sounds OK as pizzas go... :-)

Seriously, for pub/club gigs the question isn’t “does it sound exactly the same” , it’s “can I work with this”.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    If thats the radio signal quality and it  can't be modified with a 'cable setting' like most can, I'd say thats not usable. Still for £13 you had to find out. Sometimes too good to be true is just too good to be true.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    It loses a fair bit at the top end that I can quite easily compensate for with a bit of EQ on the amp.  What I can't tweak out is the VHF hiss.  It operates around 270MHz I think.  Indeed, I had to find out !  I'll keep them as....  Hmm.....  don't know really !  What could I use a short range VHF wireless system for ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I've used a line 6 g30 for years with no issues at all, not even the battery door.
    Treading on a guitar lead is now thankfully in the past.
    edited June 2018
    Well, I'm made up !  Digitalscream gave me a fantastic Rowin WS20 system.  It's bloody amazing !!  Not only that, but I managed to bag two Shure UHF personal monitor wireless systems for £100 off eBay!  So, now I'm completely wireless with the exception of my mic, but I don't need that, and in any case, should I decide to want to sing and play whilst gyrating on a pub table, our drummer has some wireless mic systems somewhere !

I can't wait to try it all out properly at the next practice.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    There is a brand new Boss wireless now
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Interesting suggestions.

The Shure system has the bast latency (4ms/7.3ms), followed by the Smooth Hound (8ms), and followed by the Ronin WS20 (12ms). The price follows the same order, with the new price of the Shure way more expensive than the other two.

I think @Emp_Fab got a cracking deal on the Shure systems if it works out for him.

I did... and they both work.  Two PSM200 systems with belt packs for a B.I.N. price of £100!
    I couldn't believe my luck when I saw it!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    edited July 2018
    I've been wireless with my clarinet for about 10 years. I used a Line6 G30 until it packed up after a few years of abuse and replaced it with a G50. 

Superb bit of kit. 
    That's got to win a prize of some sort as the most / least rock 'n roll statement ever!

"I was wireless with my clarinet for about 10 years".  :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    At least it wasn't a pink oboe!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    fandango said:
    Interesting suggestions.

The Shure system has the bast latency (4ms/7.3ms), followed by the Smooth Hound (8ms), and followed by the Ronin WS20 (12ms). The price follows the same order, with the new price of the Shure way more expensive than the other two.

I think @Emp_Fab got a cracking deal on the Shure systems if it works out for him.

12ms is awful, and truly audible to me. My Line 6 G10 has 2.76ms of latency and I suspect is cheaper than all of the above. 
    I know Smooth hound are British and all that but an additional 8ms on top of wandering away from your amps is not good enough, sorry. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I've gigged hundreds of times with my Smooth Hound. Maybe you have incredible ears but to me, 8ms is not noticeable.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited July 2018
    I'm pretty sure I can't hear the delay with my Smooth Hound although, as I've said before, my TU2 struggles with it a bit so I suspect that is that ( more recent tuners don't seem to have this issue). My ears aren't all that finally tuned I know. 

Edit: just thinking out loud, we know 30ms is noticeable because that's used as an effect. Jan Akkerman uses Smooth Hound and I suspect he'd notice. So somewhere between that and 30ms is where most peoole would hear something 'out.' 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    8ms is the equivalent of moving your amp about 2.5m further away.    
    Thats probably around the point where it starts to feel different- add in any extra latency from other digital conversions and it would be more noticeable.

Im fairly sure I remember discussions about tracking on guitar synths in the old days and trying to get below 6ms as that was the point where it could feel different.   
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've gigged hundreds of times with my Smooth Hound. Maybe you have incredible ears but to me, 8ms is not noticeable.
    When I first got my Smooth Hound I thought I could detect it, it just felt ever so slightly different. I've used it for loads of gigs now and it's never been a real issue for me.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Gigged with my new GLXD16 last week - superb :) Great bit of kit!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I bought the Xvive U2 system on a recommendation from a bandmate last year. It's a brilliant bit of kit and I can't detect any real difference when comparing it to cables. I can't say I notice any latency either.

In one of the bands I'm in, the bass player uses a different wireless system and, if we 'cross the streams' mine can go intermittent. It doesn't happen everywhere but there are one or two venues where it's a problem so I'll use a cable there.

No other issues- a charge lasts around 5 hours. You can charge from a USB port with a suitable adapter which takes a while or use the supplied charger which takes about an hour.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    drwiddly said:

In one of the bands I'm in, the bass player uses a different wireless system and, if we 'cross the streams' mine can go intermittent. It doesn't happen everywhere but there are one or two venues where it's a problem so I'll use a cable there.

Hmm I experience this sometimes too, all 3 of us use different wirelesses too, Line 6 Relay G50, the G10 and a Shure GLX6D. Usually they're fine at shows but one or two times my one (The G50) hasn't worked, for some reason. Either its a dead patch cable somewhere or a lead ain't working, a wrong connection I don't know. Its been fine for the past few shows though. I wouldn't have thought a different brand would interfere with another.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    When I first got my Smooth Hound I thought I could detect it, it just felt ever so slightly different. I've used it for loads of gigs now and it's never been a real issue for me.
    If no signal issues etc why not push the smooth hound and try 5ms???  8ms is just the default