Windows updates....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Update - Today for example, I was on with a client in New Zealand and I had just got up. My 6:30 was his 17:30.

During the conversation I had to access a photo on my computer and FRIG ME, the stupid computer had done an over night update and started asking me endless questions about my permissions. This went on to be about seven or eight screens that I couldn't exit out of until I had answered the inane questions about sending back diagnostic info etc.

I told my customer that I would send the file along later but it was really annoying as MS had removed my choice as to whether I wanted to answer their questions or access my data in a hurry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    It is MS pushing us to a cloud subscription model. Notice how functionality of a lot of app in windows has reduced (media players with local content, lack of DVD support).
    But also security holes that are being found that nobody could have foreseen.
    Are you being sold a vdi solution?
    No you're not.

Ms media player has never supported DVD play back. At least I don't recall it on 98/2000/2003/XP and possibly Vista. Just use vlc player 
    Media Player supported DVD, then it didn't unless a codec was installed due to legal reasons then it did again in later releases. 
    Buy yeah, VLC player is the dogs, plays anything !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Has MS sorted the conflict that W10 had with the OS being on an SSD but other connected drives being disk drives? That broke my system (I think on the first anniversary update?) and I rolled back to W7.

I've got 2 machines with SSD for OS and a conventional drive for data.  Haven't had any problems with either.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited June 2018
    crunchman said:
    Has MS sorted the conflict that W10 had with the OS being on an SSD but other connected drives being disk drives...

I've got 2 machines with SSD for OS and a conventional drive for data.  Haven't had any problems with either.
    No issues here either, that's been my situation for the last 4 years, and upgraded win 7 to win 10 on one of my machines about 2 years ago when the free upgrade badgering train was rolling through town.
    crunchman said:
    Has MS sorted the conflict that W10 had with the OS being on an SSD but other connected drives being disk drives? That broke my system (I think on the first anniversary update?) and I rolled back to W7.

Was thinking about this a bit more.  Was the one you had problems with one that came with lots of bloatware from whoever made your machine?  Both of mine were installs I did myself with an ISO.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I had problems with a freezing screen Winows 10 but recently it seems to have been cured ,possibly
    by an update ..
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

Was thinking about this a bit more.  Was the one you had problems with one that came with lots of bloatware from whoever made your machine?  Both of mine were installs I did myself with an ISO.
    No, mine was an upgrade from a fresh W7 Pro installation. i was running 10 for a while then the anniversary update borked it. I had to reinstall W7 from scratch
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    So.... just how many of you are still running Windows 7 then ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I've actually got so sick of windows that have just bought a mac, have never been on the iTrain and have always had windows since '98, 10 was driving me nuts

So far my software life is 100% easier
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2018
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Update - Today for example, I was on with a client in New Zealand and I had just got up. My 6:30 was his 17:30.

During the conversation I had to access a photo on my computer and FRIG ME, the stupid computer had done an over night update and started asking me endless questions about my permissions. This went on to be about seven or eight screens that I couldn't exit out of until I had answered the inane questions about sending back diagnostic info etc.

I told my customer that I would send the file along later but it was really annoying as MS had removed my choice as to whether I wanted to answer their questions or access my data in a hurry.
    GDPR, the EU with good reason removed Microsoft's choices.  They have put all these choices in the front end of an install now so you have positive consent to the data sharing that seems sinister but without which services like Cortana (or for that matter Alexa, Siri, Google Home etc) can't function.

I'm not sure why a lot of knowledgable people get as upset as they do with updates, as an IT Pro I hear all the time how inconvenient they are, but look at the stats.

Apparently 98% of all malware out "in the wild" attacks vulnerabilities that are already patched, so (oversimplifying slightly) if you install patches in good time you will mostly be immune to 98% of malware.  Pair that with a reasonable anti-malware software (including the free one in Win 10), and that figure will go higher than 99%.

However staying on Windows 7 is just living in the past because the past was different and you know it better.  If you feel you are going back to being a beginner, you aren't.  The thing that made you an expert or a power user is not knowing where things are but wanting to know, being willing to look, and knowing what to look for.  People who never gained those skills in Windows 7 are not going to learn in Windows 10 either.

Yes, some things in Windows 10 feel like they are change for change's sake, but MS are playing a long game, and are now offering apps to help sync your android devices and windows (for example), they offer excellent Office 365 apps on android and desktop that integrate superbly with onedrive and other cloud services.

They really have got a decent stack developing. 

The solution if you don't like Windows 10 is not Windows 7 (soon to be unsupported) and definitely not XP or Vista, the solution is a decent Linux distro that is properly supported.  In fact if you have a good old PC running XP, seriously consider installing something like Lubuntu, it's superb and will bring it right back to life and secure again for basic web, email etc.!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:

It's not losing all support.  Extended support continues until Jan 2020, but that probably only means security fixes at this point.  That's still only 19 months away, so at this point, it would be really silly to get a new machine and put Win 7 on it.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've just "updated" my XP machine running service pack 3. I put Linux on it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    I hated W8 so 10 has been far better for me. My only complaint is the amount of crap MS smuggle in with their updates. Yesterday I discovered I’d suddenly got Candy Crush and Disney Kingdoms in the apps list. I don’t want this rubbish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    I hated W8 so 10 has been far better for me. My only complaint is the amount of crap MS smuggle in with their updates. Yesterday I discovered I’d suddenly got Candy Crush and Disney Kingdoms in the apps list. I don’t want this rubbish. 

They all do it now.

Apple give you stuff you don't want as well.  Before I got rid of my MacBook Pro, one of the OS "upgrades" installed iCloud, and provided functionality to sync your browser between your computer, your iPad, and your iPhone.  For someone who needs a cloud service that I can access from an Android phone, and hates Safari (I used to use Firefox on the Mac) it was just useless bloatware.

Android is the same.  There is Google stuff on my phone that I never use, and I can't even uninstall it.  At least I'm pretty sure you can uninstall the Candy Crush.

Linux is looking more and more tempting all the time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    crunchman said:

Linux is looking more and more tempting all the time.

wis
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I've just "updated" my XP machine running service pack 3. I put Linux on it.
    Far more sensible than leaving XP on it!

Which distro?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Before I turned into an iPad addict, I spent a while trying out different distros of Linux.  In the end, I settled with Manjaro.

If I’m going to switch from a near 100% graphical OS such as Windows to another graphical OS like Linux, then every time I have to open a command window and start typing Klingon, my patience vanishes.

I found Mint too bloated, Ubuntu too alien (even the Gnome version) but Manjaro was light enough and rarely wanted me to get under the bonnet.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    Just looked at Manjaro.

I like the idea of the rolling release model A LOT.

Will whack it on an old laptop at work, give it a try.