Telecaster Copy

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Before the impending poly Vs nitro debate ensues, let's get back on track. Any other suggestions?
    sorry :)

There is eternal guitars. Based in West Sussex. Chichester. 

A few pros play them and i think a couple of guy on here have them.

Do SC Relics make full guitars? Looks like just body's on the website but some full guitars made? @lonestar ??
    Yip, lots of full builds have been done. More being done now :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    lonestar said:
    Before the impending poly Vs nitro debate ensues, let's get back on track. Any other suggestions?

Do SC Relics make full guitars? Looks like just body's on the website but some full guitars made? @lonestar ??
    cool! would they be on budget?
  • I like the look of these (below) from the andertons video. For the money I'd probably try and find a custom shop tho

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/gray-guitars-admiral-in-daphne-blue-inc-case
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    Check out these guys https://www.eternal-guitars.com/ 

Dave from eternal guitars will build you a guitar to your spec.

As for price you would need to contact him and let them know exactly what you want. 

My misses has a custom build form them and it was built within your budget and it is far better quality then the Fender of mine we based it on. 

tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

cool! would they be on budget?
    Of course but you’ll need to pm me about a spec. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    Personally I'd give the non-Fender relics a miss (being tactful there!) and go for something like this Tom Anderson. You get one of the worlds finest built guitars for almost half the price when new. (No connection to seller btw) 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/12997796-tom-anderson-classic-t

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--tMf6K6DP--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1528418699/au0tyycnddvb5dyl1qdz.jpg

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Can anyone suggest a builder making a  telecaster-ish copy for around £1500-£2000? I'm looking for something that's good quality but I'm eager to deviate from Fender seeing as, in my opinion, Fender's offerings at this price point don't justify the cost. Options I've been considering so far are a Haar Trad T or the Musicman Valentine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Does any Tele for £1500 - £2000 justify the cost?

Two pieces of cheap wood and the associated hardware?

I agree with ICBM, Mex nitro Tele Classic. Great VFM.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Strat54 said:
    Personally I'd give the non-Fender relics a miss (being tactful there!) and go for something like this Tom Anderson. You get one of the worlds finest built guitars for almost half the price when new.
    There was one of those on sale in the shop I work for, for about five years - that’s not an exaggeration. It was the most lifeless, insipid “Tele” I’ve ever played. No-one wanted it - eventually the owner took it back. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited June 2018
    There’s a 52 Reissue Tele in the classifieds for £850. That’s where I’d start....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134080/fs-ft-96-fender-avri-52-telecaster#latest
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    ICBM said:
    Strat54 said:
    Personally I'd give the non-Fender relics a miss (being tactful there!) and go for something like this Tom Anderson. You get one of the worlds finest built guitars for almost half the price when new.
    There was one of those on sale in the shop I work for, for about five years - that’s not an exaggeration. It was the most lifeless, insipid “Tele” I’ve ever played. No-one wanted it - eventually the owner took it back. 

Was that the one that got nicked ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    DrBob said:

Was that the one that got nicked ?
    Yes, and recovered. I wouldn’t count the moron who took it as “wanting” it though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    JDavey guitars? He builds the teles for Andy Bown ( on stage guitarist with Status Quo) amongst others and does repair work for the likes of Robert Fripp. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    edited June 2018
    poopot said:
    Talk to @lonestar it’ll be better than anything you can get for the same money!...

This. Or @rexter . Build your own. I put a high spec strat together for ~£700. Way happier than I would have been with anything I could have bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Talk to @lonestar it’ll be better than anything you can get for the same money!...
    Thank you. I do wonder why, given the talent that posts business updates and progress here on the forum, that they don’t get mentioned more. 

The Americans aren’t the only ones who can build a bolt on...
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    poopot said:
    Thank you. I do wonder why, given the talent that posts business updates and progress here on the forum, that they don’t get mentioned more. 

I agree Scott, I think things are slowly changing though. I've had MJT, Musikraft, Lentz & Custom Shop guitars and bodies through my hands in the last few years and - of course this will sound massively biased - I know that you, I or many of the other finishers and builders on here can easily equal or better the quality and feel of them.

And save people £00s in import duty, long shipping waits and all the other stuff. We've also got a plethora of incredible pickup builders, luthiers and parts suppliers over here now. What I am seeing is more Americans interested in UK brands which is interesting, perhaps because the dollar is stronger than it was and the pound weaker, but more optimistically I think it's because a lot of good stuff is happening over here right now. And it's about brand recognition and challengers facing up to the established names who still dominate things.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    lonestar said:
    poopot said:

I agree Scott, I think things are slowly changing though. I've had MJT, Musikraft, Lentz & Custom Shop guitars and bodies through my hands in the last few years and - of course this will sound massively biased - I know that you, I or many of the other finishers and builders on here can easily equal or better the quality and feel of them.

And save people £00s in import duty, long shipping waits and all the other stuff. We've also got a plethora of incredible pickup builders, luthiers and parts suppliers over here now. What I am seeing is more Americans interested in UK brands which is interesting, perhaps because the dollar is stronger than it was and the pound weaker, but more optimistically I think it's because a lot of good stuff is happening over here right now. And it's about brand recognition and challengers facing up to the established names who still dominate things.
    Absolutely, I’m always surprised when I see eBay listings for American bodies. Do people REALLY pay £400+ for that stuff? Wow. 

Yes, Pickups... the UK has lots of extremely good pickup makers. I could name 10 very easily as I’m sure you could too. 

“Made in the UK” is something we should be proud of, but as a guitar playing bunch, we’re  not. Sure, with amps (I’d imagine because back In the day it was US Guitars and UK amps that produced the tones we were used to) and I know this will be hard to shift.

But MJT didn’t exist back then, nor did fender custom shop. And everyone is right... £2500+ for an aged guitar? Really? The reason these guitars cost so much is due to overheads. I am one person, as you are @rexter and you’re probably taking your wage the same as any other joe bloggs out there. These larger companies have a lot of costs to cover. You can spec a UK built Strat or tele for under £1500 easily and you’ll probably get a lovely tweed case included not to mention top quality components.

I think we should pat ourselves on the back more than we currently do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    ICBM said:
    Strat54 said:
    Is that because the bridge pickup isn't mounted properly?  For me, mounting it in the bridge is a vital part of the Tele sound.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    OP, play an Anderson before you part with any cash. It is everything that an expensive Fender should be.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:

But MJT didn’t exist back then, nor did fender custom shop. And everyone is right... £2500+ for an aged guitar? Really? The reason these guitars cost so much is due to overheads. I am one person, as you are @rexter and you’re probably taking your wage the same as any other joe bloggs out there. These larger companies have a lot of costs to cover. You can spec a UK built Strat or tele for under £1500 easily and you’ll probably get a lovely tweed case included not to mention top quality components.

I think we should pat ourselves on the back more than we currently do.
    I disagree. I think £1500 buys you a Nash type relic with little attention to detail where as £2500 plus buys you an absolute masterpiece like those done buy the likes of Carson Hess. You can't compare the two really, not if you the sort of buyer with an eye for detail. 
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52ceb442e4b08a92bb98be74/54be6f6de4b0e0f45dac8164/574e402086db431ed512718b/1525050937998/IMG_E5423%5B1%5D.JPG?format=1000w
    ICBM said:
    Strat54 said:
    That must have been the one at Strung Out guitars then. Wondered why it was there so long, I blamed it on the worlds worst website with no SEO. Very unusual to get an Anderson like that though. The guitar I have linked to has a video,  plus its a solid body where as most are hollow. I think that lends its self better to a Tele or rather what we perceive a Tele should sound like. Then again Hollow-T's are featured on hundreds of successful recordings and gigged by many artists at the top level, so who knows.