What's Hot

Comments

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    stonevibe said:
    Nothing worse than a cheap looking hole
    I've had my share of cheap holes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I love Strats of all shapes and sizes but it makes me laugh how prescious precious people are about vintage Strat spec. There’s enough of them out there not to worry. Go buy a Jeff Beck Strat (2-point trem, urethane finish, headstock truss adjustment, 22 frets, roller nut, ceramic pickups) and get over it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adam1990adam1990 Frets: 31
    It would be good to see a hardtail option for the strat in a baseline fender in my opinion. 

I can only imagine that the strats have been changed to this spec to possibly use some of the rejected Pro series parts they probably have in a bin some where. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    The ‘leaked’ Telecaster specs seem to imply that the pickups are being upgraded - any guesses if that means Alnico? Or still ceramics?

And, more importantly, will the shops be blowing out their old MIM Stds at silly prices?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I've seen the dealer spec sheet for the Tele and they are alnico 5 pickups.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Babones said:

I'm also bemused by Fender changing all their series names.
    Once again demonstrating that Gibson doesn’t have a monopoly on stupidity.

What’s the point in confusing customers like this?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    ICBM said:
    Babones said:

I'm also bemused by Fender changing all their series names.
    Once again demonstrating that Gibson doesn’t have a monopoly on stupidity.

What’s the point in confusing customers like this?
    Yep, Fender actually seem to be treading the old Gibson path and we all know where that leads..........
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Well to be fair the Mexican Standard series has been called that since 1992(?).
    The American went through a few name changes over the years - from Standard to Series back to Standard and now to Professional.
    Well to be fair the Mexican Standard series has been called that since 1992(?).
    The American went through a few name changes over the years - from Standard to Series back to Standard and now to Professional.
    Again, why? Everyone knew what an American Standard was.

'Professional' tends to be short for "real professionals wouldn't touch this with a bargepole" too.

Neil said:

Yep, Fender actually seem to be treading the old Gibson path and we all know where that leads..........
    "This one goes to 11..."

:)

The whole thing just reeks of marketing-committee bullshit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    ICBM said:

'Professional' tends to be short for "real professionals wouldn't touch this with a bargepole" too.

100% - it's lame when companies name something 'pro' or 'professional'. Pros generally use 'industry standards' in their field, that standard being dictated by the industry itself. Having Mexican/American Standard, you know exactly where you are. Names like Player, Professional, Elite is just blurring the lines and simply naff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    IICBM said:
    ^This. I’ve always thought that anything with an attribute in its name won’t actually have that attribute. For example...

The Laughter Show
    The Chuckle Brothers
    Democratic Republic of Congo
    Friendly fire
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    ICBM said:

The whole thing just reeks of marketing-committee bullshit.
    Hate to break it to you ICBM, but that's how capitalism works. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thermionic said:

Hate to break it to you ICBM, but that's how capitalism works. ;)
    Ah, so that must be what Rickenbacker, PRS, Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, Ibanez etc etc are doing wrong then.

Not bothering with all this range-renaming constant-reinvention in a desperate attempt to make it look like they're innovating - just carrying on making guitars with small changes and new models over the years. No wonder they're not profitable...

Or half a billion dollars in debt.

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Endlessly renaming ranges, endless slight permutations of designs born closer in time to the birth of the Model T Ford than now, calling a Telecaster 'innovative'. Watching the kettle boil's more interesting. Would it hurt them that much to actually design something a bit new? No need to ditch the current the zillion models, just stop tinkering and calling them "new".

On the other hand it leaves space for others to fill in, probably even helps drive innovation elsewhere..

• Isn't that exactly what they're doing with this new design?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    a fender jaguar is new like the edsel is new. 'a new arrangement of plastic & chrome bits' maybe.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The only core models fender should have for each of their core shapes is the following:

Squier Vintage
    Squier Modern
    Fender Vintage
    Fender Modern
    Fender American Vintage
    Fender American Modern

Then they can have a few special edition with deviations from the normal design like different pickup configurations and unusual features. They can throw in a few Artist models as a part of that and if you aren't happy with the standard config you can go to the custom shop. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    There are photos of a Jazzmaster from the same range doing the rounds except it’s got two hum buckers and no rhythm circuit so it’s kind of a Jagmaster really
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    I can totally understand Fender wanting to separate the MIM and MIA stuff that were previously both called "Standard". But personally I'd have kept the USA one as the Standard. 

I'm not going to buy one anyway, so I don't have particularly strong feelings tbh
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I think the range is being really tidied up, the American range is basically Vintage, Standard and Deluxe no matter what they chose to call them (and often it’s simply to let people know something has changed on a design that erm doesn’t change). Problem is, every time a range gets tidied up I seem to want one less, so it’s not working for me.

Noticed that Peach has a Tidepool Player Tele in stock that looks quite nice though...