Dale Wilson Masterbuilt Gassage... Buy or Build?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    grungebob said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Am I the only one who read that as ‘Dale Winton’?
    Nope see my comment above , I did the same. 
    Missed that. Lol awarded. Gotta keep the bright flame of repartee burning in the midst of arguments about behaviour in the classifieds.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2366
    Plus £3k guitars seem to be the norm now, notice the new wave of non 10-top PRS Custom 24's are now £3250. I guess everything has double its price thereabouts since the 90's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    dindude said:
    Whilst I’m a bit of a snob with lower end stuff, I just couldn’t justify that sort of cash, I’d just feel mugged off no matter how good it was. Say you pay 1k for the nicest Strat body you’ve ever seen. Then £1k for the nicest neck you ever seen. Then £1k for the nicest hardware and pickups known to man. Then pay £1k for a top luthier to put it all together and spend days breathing on it. It’s hard to know where the other £4K has gone. Just doesn’t make any sense on any level at that price. However if it makes you happy and you can afford it then all is good.
    The other £xk goes on the Fender decal & COA 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited June 2018

I'm sure it's great. But I'd go MJT/ @lonestar ;;;;/ GSP+@lamf68 and get someone really good to fettle it if needed. 

Because that's a hilarious amount of money for a new strat. 
    +1 But I'd go with @GSPBASSES ; + @lamf68 and you will receive a Stunning quality! built/finished guitar that needs little, if any 'fettling'. @GSPBASSES ; is a ghost builder for some of the most respected 'builders' on here but never receives the recognition for doing so. Also @lamf68 finishes are second to None. I'll post an example of their combined efforts over the weekend
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I paid £1650 for my Custom Shop new in 2010 - were CS guitars really that much 20 years previous!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Strat54 said:
    Mooster said:

Do you guys remember when regular custom shop guitars were £1.8k and a masterbuilt (very rare in the UK in those days) were £3.3k?

£7.8k for a strat is not great value for money. Go there and play it by all means, but £7.8k to tickle your GAS is not being sensible. I get the GAS, I really do, but you want it like crazy and yet you haven't even played it yet. It's just got a few more buttons to twiddle. Imagine a couple of years down the line when it's just another guitar on the rack with a relic job and someone's name on the back of the headstock. I'm not saying don't get it, but understand that you're paying over the odds for a simple bolt on electric with a lot of marketing and angel dust sprinkled over it.

As for building one yourself, building a guitar (especially a good one) is different to playing one, and I personally want to spend my limited free time playing guitar, not being a luthier. Unless you farm out all the difficult luthier stuff or are willing to learn a lot of luthier skills, building a guitar has got nothing to do with enjoying play a guitar but is separate hobby on guitar building.

Of course, I bought my first Custom Shop in 1990.....£1600 then. I have an invoice that came with a mid 90's Masterbuilt Tele that cost $2000.....back when the masterbuilders didn't have assistants and guys to spray/assemble for them. 
    Its sad that the latest shipments of custom shop now sell for £3100+!

The is a risk that you’d lose a lot if you wanted to sell this down the like too... GAS doesn’t only strike once as we all know!
    Yes indeed, a “Boggo” NOS Strat from a fresh batch is in excess of £3k now, once any old stock has moved through, this is the new starting point for a CS Fender. But have you also noticed that an American Elite Strat is down to £1500, and an Am Pro is £1100-ish - there’s now a huge gulf in the £2k to £3k (Suhr?) price bracket been created.

Wait for the new “CS Standard” range....or similar 
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    dindude said:
    Strat54 said:
    Mooster said:

Do you guys remember when regular custom shop guitars were £1.8k and a masterbuilt (very rare in the UK in those days) were £3.3k?

£7.8k for a strat is not great value for money. Go there and play it by all means, but £7.8k to tickle your GAS is not being sensible. I get the GAS, I really do, but you want it like crazy and yet you haven't even played it yet. It's just got a few more buttons to twiddle. Imagine a couple of years down the line when it's just another guitar on the rack with a relic job and someone's name on the back of the headstock. I'm not saying don't get it, but understand that you're paying over the odds for a simple bolt on electric with a lot of marketing and angel dust sprinkled over it.

As for building one yourself, building a guitar (especially a good one) is different to playing one, and I personally want to spend my limited free time playing guitar, not being a luthier. Unless you farm out all the difficult luthier stuff or are willing to learn a lot of luthier skills, building a guitar has got nothing to do with enjoying play a guitar but is separate hobby on guitar building.

Of course, I bought my first Custom Shop in 1990.....£1600 then. I have an invoice that came with a mid 90's Masterbuilt Tele that cost $2000.....back when the masterbuilders didn't have assistants and guys to spray/assemble for them. 
    Its sad that the latest shipments of custom shop now sell for £3100+!

The is a risk that you’d lose a lot if you wanted to sell this down the like too... GAS doesn’t only strike once as we all know!
    Yes indeed, a “Boggo” NOS Strat from a fresh batch is in excess of £3k now, once any old stock has moved through, this is the new starting point for a CS Fender. But have you also noticed that an American Elite Strat is down to £1500, and an Am Pro is £1100-ish - there’s now a huge gulf in the £2k to £3k (Suhr?) price bracket been created.

Wait for the new “CS Standard” range....or similar 
    This price gap must be helping boutique brands like Suhr, Tom Anderson, Vigier, Xotic and LSL - previously they were more expensive than Fender CS, hopefully they wont raise prices too! I know I went for another Suhr because of this, but the LSLs are so tempting, a shame they are not widely sold
    edited June 2018
    edited June 2018
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    If you can afford it and it speaks to you when you play it, buy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Sorry, the pic's Do Not do this guitar justice! + I havn't got the hang of posting pic's from imgur yet!. This is a just about finished project from years ago!. Built then expertly repaired(accident/my fault/long story!)by a superb Craftsman! ~ @GSPBASSES ;;;~ Graham Pollard, who does actually build for some of the most respected 'Builders' on here, yet never receives even a mention ~( bad form imho) It's actually a TFB guru's mash up, as it continues with all Nickel hardware from @streethawk ;;;;; + pickups from @theguitarweasel +wiring harness from Marc@mojo and to complete, a superb nitro paint finish in Charcoal Frost by the superbly talented chap @lamf68. Love it!
    edited June 2018
    Sorry, should have posted in another section!, Doh!  
    Doug said:

I'm sure it's great. But I'd go MJT/ @lonestar ;;;;/ GSP+@lamf68 and get someone really good to fettle it if needed. 

Because that's a hilarious amount of money for a new strat. 
    +1 But I'd go with @GSPBASSES ; + @lamf68 and you will receive a Stunning quality! built/finished guitar that needs little, if any 'fettling'. @GSPBASSES ; is a ghost builder for some of the most respected 'builders' on here but never receives the recognition for doing so. Also @lamf68 finishes are second to None. I'll post an example of their combined efforts over the weekend
    just an example of the quality of work available on here ;)