Why does online music (nearly) include a video

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
edited June 2018 in Music
Listening to music is one of lifes great hidden pleasures IMHO.  Many years ago someone got the idea of packaging the music with a video.  As most of us can really only concentrate on one thing at a time, I can only speculate why the music is dumbed down by a video, a video which often has little to do with the song or is mimed by the band.

To make matters worse, the audio content is very low bitrate, thus sounding shite.  So why not ditch the video (a picture of the band would suffice) and increase the bitrate of the music.

This video is a typical example of what I am writing about:

For our band's dancing gig this Sunday [dancing as in waltzes, foxtrots, general jump around wedding type music etc,], we have included 'Shut up and dance' on our setlist.  The song itself is plain silly, banal and only for the brain dead, but it goes down well with the jump around wedding music dancers.  The audience know the punch line 'Shut up and dance' and the rest of the song could be about the World Cup for all they know or care.  So to try and do the song justice, I did my best to learn it from the video alluded to above.  The bass is indistinct to say the least and there are almost zero dynamics - this could be improved if the video was dropped and with better sound.  Despite the crappy sonics, I got a passable version down for my bass.

That process took a few evenings work.  No way was I going out to buy the CD of the song, even if the song is released on CD.  I have my pride or at least most of it left....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I think it's because youtube is a video site...?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I think it's because youtube is a video site
    Fair point but videos are part of TV broadcasts too. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Your video doesn't work. 

(if you edit your post you need to re-paste a link, otherwise the website makes it into a picture).

For what it's worth I really like that song.
    I think the link is fixed now @guitarfishbay. ; Despite having a fairly good hi-fi system handling the sounds on my computer, I don't think I heard the song properly as so much information is lost due to the low bitrate of the video  I think I have got the gist of the song but we will run through it on Saturday when setting up for the gig. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Were you listening in 1080p HD?  It's not CD quality but it's definitely possible to hear all the parts.

Regardless this guy seems to have done a bass cover with a tab in it which might help you out.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Well done Rocker, you just invented the radio. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    The woman in that video is a total hottie 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Why not use an audio streaming service if you want decent quality audio without video?

Am I missing something? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    Wis.I was going to say the same,but didn't in case I was shot down for being a rampant misogynist.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Sporky said:
    Why not use an audio streaming service if you want decent quality audio without video?

Am I missing something? 
    Good point. I never signed up to one but it is worth considering.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    She is. I think that explains why they did a video. It's for the people who care about image and don't care about audio quality, it's clickbait.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I do remember someone once claiming that video killed the radio star, and that it has gone too far to go back again.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...