The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    edited June 2018
    So what we want is:
    Qualifying tyres.
    Race tyres that will do the whole race.
    The option to change the tyres at any time, so a new set might be faster than a worn set, but not necessarily. 
    Unlimited tyres.
    Pit stops to remain as they are.
    Refuelling.
    Ground effects.
    Single plane front and double plane rear wing.
    Unlimited engines.
    Engines can be changed for practice and the race.
    Gearboxes with multiple ratio sets which can be changed from circuit to circuit.

Heigh ho - that's about 1982 then.

OR, what about taking a leaf out of the ACO book and only allowing two mechanics to change the tyres..............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1298
    Be realistic.

Until they spec 90% of the parts, it's only ever going to be a 6 car race (at the best of times).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6984
    Banning pit to car radio would be a good start.  That way, we wouldn’t have drivers being told “Your left rear is 2 degrees above optimum temperature.  Press back-back-forward-punch to select diff setting 42”.  Drivers would have to manage their own races, and there’d be a lot more variation in how long tyres lasted.

I recall they tried to start restricting how much drivers could be coached over the radio a few years ago, but all the drivers sulked terribly and said the cars were too complicated to drive without an engineer telling them what all the buttons did.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    rlw said:

Heigh ho - that's about 1982 then.

That wouldn't be a bad thing. For those who don't know: 

"Overall, the 1982 season saw eleven different winners in 16 races, with no driver scoring more than two victories. This included nine different winners in the same number of consecutive races. Five drivers scored their first ever Grand Prix victory: Patrese, Tambay, de Angelis, Rosberg, and Alboreto"

By comparison, from the start of the 2012 season to the race just finished in Montreal, we have had 125 Grand Prix and 11 winners. 

This can be broken down further: from 2014 to now we have had 86 Grand Prix and just 6 different winners over three teams. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cols said:
    Banning pit to car radio would be a good start.  That way, we wouldn’t have drivers being told “Your left rear is 2 degrees above optimum temperature.  Press back-back-forward-punch to select diff setting 42”.  Drivers would have to manage their own races, and there’d be a lot more variation in how long tyres lasted.

I recall they tried to start restricting how much drivers could be coached over the radio a few years ago, but all the drivers sulked terribly and said the cars were too complicated to drive without an engineer telling them what all the buttons did.
    Part of it is for safety. I thought the restriction was lifted as the FIA realised there was great entertainment value to be head out of broadcasting the radio which I agree with.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ColsCols Frets: 6984
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

Part of it is for safety. I thought the restriction was lifted as the FIA realised there was great entertainment value to be head out of broadcasting the radio which I agree with.
    You’re right; the catalyst was Button getting penalised for the team telling him that he was about to suffer catastrophic brake failure.  And Bernie thought the drivers having a good moan over the radio made for good telly.

My main issue is that currently the drivers get a lot of remote assistance in tyre and systems management.  This facilitates the kind of race we saw at Monaco and Montreal, where the drivers are never pushing as they’re trapped in a carefully dictated tyre management game.  Take away the remote assistance and you’d get a lot more variation.

Cols said:
     Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

You’re right; the catalyst was Button getting penalised for the team telling him that he was about to suffer catastrophic brake failure.  And Bernie thought the drivers having a good moan over the radio made for good telly.

My main issue is that currently the drivers get a lot of remote assistance in tyre and systems management.  This facilitates the kind of race we saw at Monaco and Montreal, where the drivers are never pushing as they’re trapped in a carefully dictated tyre management game.  Take away the remote assistance and you’d get a lot more variation.

I don't mind remote assistance. It seemed as somewhat ridiculous that you have this team structured sport and then during races the team was not meant to offer advice to the driver. The teamwork aspect is one of the best things about motorsport, how it depends on everyone from engineer to driver to wheelgun operator to work as efficiently and effectively as possible to get positions and hopefully a win. 

Cols said:
     Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

I don't mind remote assistance. It seemed as somewhat ridiculous that you have this team structured sport and then during races the team was not meant to offer advice to the driver. The teamwork aspect is one of the best things about motorsport, how it depends on everyone from engineer to driver to wheelgun operator to work as efficiently and effectively as possible to get positions and hopefully a win. 

^^

I agree with this and as someone who watches the sport it gives an insight into the tech and strategy.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    So Le Mans this weekend!

First year I've actively watched the WEC, enjoyed Spa at the start of this season, and me and my eldest are speeding the weekend at Silverstone in August, but Le Mans is the biggie.

We only get coverage at home via the BTSport app on a tablet, so me and the lad are staying the weekend at my parents who have Eurosport on Virgin and a big telly...we've plans to sleep over in the lounge with the TV on.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So Le Mans this weekend!

First year I've actively watched the WEC, enjoyed Spa at the start of this season, and me and my eldest are speeding the weekend at Silverstone in August, but Le Mans is the biggie.

We only get coverage at home via the BTSport app on a tablet, so me and the lad are staying the weekend at my parents who have Eurosport on Virgin and a big telly...we've plans to sleep over in the lounge with the TV on.

Same here :) The kids will be away with their father from 5pm Friday to 5pm Sunday, Mrs HFD will be working 11-7 Saturday, and I will up all night on the sofa with whatever streaming service I buy for the event hooked up to the big telly. 

Aston Martin for the GTE win please. Nicki Thiim on top step. 

edited June 2018
    And, if you can, turn off the sound on Eurosport and listen instead to Radio Le Mans which offers a far more intelligent and interesting live commentary.  Google Radio Le Mans and you will find it.  Better still, just get the trackside sound off the TV, off the appropriate feed, and Radio Le Mans for the info and it's like being there.  But not so dusty. And with cheaper beer.  And clean toilets.
    rlw said:
    And, if you can, turn off the sound on Eurosport and listen instead to Radio Le Mans which offers a far more intelligent and interesting live commentary.  Google Radio Le Mans and you will find it.  Better still, just get the trackside sound off the TV, off the appropriate feed, and Radio Le Mans for the info and it's like being there.  But not so dusty. And with cheaper beer.  And clean toilets.
    Of course. Hindhaugh and Goodwin all the way! 

One day I shall go for the weekend. 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    edited June 2018
    Heartfeltdawn said:

You don't...  ...ask Brembo to build brake systems that might conk out after 40 laps. 
    No, but I'm sure people would pay good money to watch that...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    rlw said:
    Of course. Hindhaugh and Goodwin all the way! 

One day I shall go for the weekend. 
    For 34 years I went for the week..............this is the 3rd in front of the tv.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Make the most of it, come 2019 it'll be all pay per view.

I don't mind if the price is fair and the coverage worth it. I though Sky was in place in the UK until 2022.

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

I don't mind if the price is fair and the coverage worth it. I though Sky was in place in the UK until 2022.
    Exactly - C4 loses their rights at the end of this season so no way to watch live legally unless you subscribe, use NowTV passes (effectively PPV) or the F1 streaming channel goes live i nthe UK (subscription or PPV).
    Fretwired said:

Exactly - C4 loses their rights at the end of this season so no way to watch live legally unless you subscribe, use NowTV passes (effectively PPV) or the F1 streaming channel goes live i nthe UK (subscription or PPV).
    Sorry I wasn't being clear. I understand that F1 will have their own internet-based channel to watch F1 races with lots more content and promotional options for teams. The channel will be available 24/7. However in the UK Sky will still have F1 until their contract runs out.

F1 was offering an annual subscription which didn't look too expensive (cheaper than Sky).

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Thing is, I wouldn't mind paying to watch F1, but I don't want to pay a King's ransom for all the other Sky shit that goes with their packages.