NBD - Gretsch content

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
edited June 2018 in Bass

So the better half has decided that she would like to have a crack at learning bass (who am I to judge ) So after a pop into Guitar Guitar at the weekend where she leant toward the Gretsch G2220 short scale and, also scoring a Fender Rumble on ebay for a little over 20 quid yesterday, I surprised her today with this.........

https://i.imgur.com/Y8mO4vX.jpg

She loves it so far, and I must admit I've had a little play and am sure it will get a fair bit of use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Very nice :). It reminds me of Tina Weymouth, although she never used one - just several other small-bodied, single-cutaway short-scale basses.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Much approval. Tried one in a shop once and it was really good for the money. Really good. 

Well done you - you must have got man points for that one? ;)
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Very nice. If your wife is new to guitar like instruments, a set of flat wound strings might help with acclimatising her fingers. I have noticed a massive positive difference to the pain/pleasure ratio of a long practise session with flats. ;-) 
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Cheers guys, yes scored man points and will definitely have a look at flat wounds for her fingers (she doesn`t play guitar)
    Tone71 said:
    Cheers guys, yes scored man points and will definitely have a look at flat wounds for her fingers (she doesn`t play guitar)
    If she hasn't had any experience with stringed instruments before I might even go further and try black nylon tapewounds. They're lower tension as well as smooth on the fingers, and they have a nice 'thunky' tone that requires a bit less control of picking dynamics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Tone71 said:
    If she hasn't had any experience with stringed instruments before I might even go further and try black nylon tapewounds. They're lower tension as well as smooth on the fingers, and they have a nice 'thunky' tone that requires a bit less control of picking dynamics.
    Yes - tapewounds are a lot easier for new fingers to handle and give a great forgiving tone too!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Through a forgiving amp, does this mean you don't even need to practise?
    Through a forgiving amp, does this mean you don't even need to practise?
    I don’t, and I sound..

..oh.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    oooh... that's a very sexy bass (& next on my 'to try' list if i don't bond with my fantasy violin bass). the black option far nicer than sunburst (i think 'royal blood' man has/had a sunburst, so they seem more common).

your pash is a lucky lady to score such a pressie. & obvs now she needs pedals...
    ICBM said:
    Very nice :). It reminds me of Tina Weymouth, although she never used one - just several other small-bodied, single-cutaway short-scale basses.
    it's the hair, isn't it?

but get what you mean about her bass choices.
    my impression of other female bass players i know &/or admire is that shortscale is becoming the go-to for average & under build  female players.

there are obvs amazing women bass players who can totally slay with fullscale (kims gordon & deal just two that come to mind, & gods both). but sometimes having just a little less horizontal reach (& less muscle) can make playing fullscale surprisingly tiring, hour on hour.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    I find the same and I’m an under-built non-female bass player :). It’s one of the reasons the Rickenbacker 4001 is the best bass for me - although the scale length is only 3/4” shorter than a Fender, it makes the difference between fairly rapid arm-ache and being able to play for hours. I do like many short-scale basses too, but not as much as the Rick.

(Cue some comment from @Bridgehouse ;).)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Nice. That’s the Royal Blood bass ( or one of them anyway). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ICBM said:
    I find the same and I’m an under-built non-female bass player :). It’s one of the reasons the Rickenbacker 4001 is the best bass for me - although the scale length is only 3/4” shorter than a Fender, it makes the difference between fairly rapid arm-ache and being able to play for hours. I do like many short-scale basses too, but not as much as the Rick.

(Cue some comment from @Bridgehouse ;).)
    If I thought I’d ever use it in anger I’d get a Ric.

But I have too many basses. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Bridgehouse said:
    I have too many basses. 
    Nurse! His medication has worn off.
    Be seeing you.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:
    I have too many basses. 
    Nurse! His medication has worn off.
    Despite numerous operations to add extra arms, I can only play one at a time. I could drop to one bass and have everything I need.