Any mesa rectoverb (or similar) users on here??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
A mesa rectoverb 1x12 combo has come up for sale locally, and on paper it looks like it might suit my needs.
Compact, plenty of drive sounds, has a footswitchable solo boost and less knobs and switches than some of the mesa stuff.
It's the series 2 one so can run el34's as well as 6l6's.
I wondered if anyone had used one long term?? 

Thanks for your patience!!
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you’re still trying to get a Marshall sound, no.

It also weighs as much as a small car.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I had one years ago. Should have been called the Shitoverb.
    Worst reverb I've heard in any amp and the clean sound was flat and uninspiring.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    SidNewton said:

Worst reverb I've heard in any amp and the clean sound was flat and uninspiring.
    This is true - and it has a nasty 'hang-over' when you change channels if the reverb is on.

The odd thing is that I love the Trem-o-verb, which you would think is similar but bigger since it's based on the Dual Rectifier and the Rectoverb is based on the Single Rectifier. No... the Trem-o-verb is one of my favourite amps ever, but I would need paying before I would use a Rectoverb - they're totally different.

Of course the problem with the Trem-o-verb is that it weighs as much as a large car :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I'll look out for that . I've also seen a DC5 and a nomad for sale locallish. Just fancied a change.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I owned a Rectoverb 25.

Worst amp ive ever owned.
    I'll look out for that . I've also seen a DC5 and a nomad for sale locallish. Just fancied a change.
    Of the two the Nomad is probably going to be more familiar to you. The DC-5 is very much not a Marshall-type distortion, it's more in the Mesa Mark series direction. The Nomad channels 2 and 3 are a little more Marshall-like, to me.

The Nomad also has a solo boost, which the DC-5 doesn't - but you can use the DC's graphic EQ as a boost.

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i had a Rectoverb for about 2 days, absolute dogshit, couldn't get a decent sound out of it at all.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Aren't there two completely different amps called Rectoverb? An older 50 watt one and the current production one which is based on the Mini Rectifier?
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    I had a Rectoverb head for a while. It was really mediocre.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Jeremiah said:
    Aren't there two completely different amps called Rectoverb? An older 50 watt one and the current production one which is based on the Mini Rectifier?

Yes, supposedly the same pre amp section but different power amp stage. 50w 6l6 (or EL34) v 25w el84. 
    Jeremiah said:
    Yes. The 25W one is very good. It sounds better and has decent reverb.

• polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited June 2018
    I briefly owned a Recto-verb 25 and wasn’t at all impressed with it, either clean or dirty. It had the feature set I was looking for, but none of the sound I’d hoped for (like numerous other Mesas I’ve owned or tried).

The Trem-o-verb might be the right Mesa for me, but I’ve always been scared off by the weight and size. I really should try one, though.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    Ive had a nomad and both recto-verbs (older models) not good IMHO! Nomad was worse though!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Tried the Rectoverb last night . I didn’t like it . Very flat and muddy sounding amp that you can Eq.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    had a mk1.terrible amp.cleans were horrible. ran the lead channel with bass and mid on zero and treble on ten.it was still muddy and soggy as hell.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    ICBM said:
    Of the two the Nomad is probably going to be more familiar to you. The DC-5 is very much not a Marshall-type distortion, it's more in the Mesa Mark series direction. The Nomad channels 2 and 3 are a little more Marshall-like, to me.

The Nomad also has a solo boost, which the DC-5 doesn't - but you can use the DC's graphic EQ as a boost.
    I had a Nomad back in the day. Loved the sound but it was incredibly unreliable and had an irritating audible pause when changing channel. Not sure whether I just picked a lemon or whether this was a feature