Cars for gigging

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I currently have a Volvo XC90 - it's fantastic, with a huge boot area. This is with the 3rd row of seats down and also one of the middle row (not my actual car):

I can get a full PA system in it (HK Audio Power Pack - 2 subs + 2 tops + 2 wedges, mixer + remote stage box, mics, cables, etc).

Sadly, I can't get the PA *and* my guitar gear in so I'm looking for a VW Transporter of some description and selling the Volvo.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It's the lip I always found annoying when moving gear. Only had two cars with none and they were fantastic in that respect.

Everyday driving is generally me going to work, or with wifey for groceries or a spin. Sometimes lifting grandchildren. So no real need for a 7-seater. Five door is nice, as its easier to slide the bass behind the front seats.
    edited June 2018
    It seems the previous picture I shared is a later (2017) model than mine (2012).

The earlier models have a fold-down lip like this:

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    edited June 2018
    I'm stunned by what I can fit into my 2013 Honda Civic.
    2 x 12" powered speakers 
    2 x 10" powered speakers
    15" powered sub
    Mixing desk and 2 unit graphic EQ + outboard reverb all in rack case
    2 guitars in hard case
    Lighting t - bar plus lights 
    3 x led par cans
    2 x Mic stands
    All cables
    AX8 + DXR10 speaker for monitoring
    Collapsible trolley
    Dual guitar stand.

Basically all my guitar stuff plus band pa and lights.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Slightly tangential but the Volvo XC90 is the safest car in Britain with no road deaths in 16 years.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited June 2018
    revsorg said:
    Slightly tangential but the Volvo XC90 is the safest car in Britain with no road deaths in 16 years.
    I bet it’s caused a fair few for people on the outside though! Its the size and weight of a lorry after all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I use whatever is smallest in the household fleet - currently a Renault Grand Modus - because parking at venues is usually a disaster. I don’t have to carry a PA usually though!

edited June 2018
    revsorg said:
    I bet it’s caused a fair few for people on the outside though! Its the size and weight of a lorry after all!
    This is an XC70 rather than XC90: (edit: found it on youtube)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Beexter said:
    2 x 12" powered speakers 
    2 x 10" powered speakers
    15" powered sub
    2 guitars in hard case
    3 x led par cans
    2 x Mic stands
    All cables
    Collapsible trolley
    Dual guitar stand.

+1 on the Civic. My old diesel Civic holds loads of gear - basically all my guitar rig, including two 2x12 cabs, four unit rack case, Midi board, two guitars, cables, etc. Also a dxr10, 16 channel mixer, two large lighting stands, guitar stand, etc.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    drwiddly said:
    Beexter said:
    2 x 12" powered speakers 
    2 x 10" powered speakers
    15" powered sub
    2 guitars in hard case
    3 x led par cans
    2 x Mic stands
    All cables
    Collapsible trolley
    Dual guitar stand.

+1 on the Civic. My old diesel Civic holds loads of gear - basically all my guitar rig, including two 2x12 cabs, four unit rack case, Midi board, two guitars, cables, etc. Also a dxr10, 16 channel mixer, two large lighting stands, guitar stand, etc.
    You should have seen what I used to I get into a Nissan K11 Micra with the seats down... :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Because I'm usually running late, Focus ST Estate is on my wish list.  Or a Seat Leon Cupra Estate.

Or, if I'm gigging in winter in the hills, perhaps a Golf R Estate.

Currently I get a PA, 2 guitars, desk, amp, pedalboard, mic stands etc in to a 2004 Astra hatch.

This car has one big advantage - I don't care about it.  I can leave it anywhere, it can get banged or scratched, nobody wants to steal it.  It is also reliable so won't upgrade until it dies.

Then whatever I get, I'll have to load myself, because my clumsy mate wont be allowed near it (or even in it potentially.....)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I am very lucky because our band has a VW Transporter, Transit Connect, Nissan ElGrand and a BMW x5 in the fleet. I can get away with a normal Golf. It all fits in the boot.

I used to get PA, guitar and bass rigs in a Saxo.. it's just a longer Tetris style load up really. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    I use an old T30 Nissan X Trail. The second one Iv had. I can get 2 half stacks, 3 heads, 4 guitars and all the other paraphernalia 2 guitarists would ever need. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I'd go MPV rather than estate.  They are shorter and a lot easier to park.

Even if you don't need 7 seats, the petrol version of the Verso is pretty good.  We've had our current one for nearly four years, and apart from routine servicing and MOT, the only thing we've had to spend money on is tyres, and maybe a lightbulb.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited June 2018
    crunchman said:

Not only a little shorter, but also quite a lot higher and usually have a shorter bonnet too, so not only are they easier to park (also partly helped by the higher driving position) but they're considerably bigger inside. Unless you're carrying an 8x10" bass cab the length isn't as useful as the height for packing in a lot of gear.

I really wouldn't drive any other type of car until I'm done with moving things about like this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Cars for gigging - Mustang...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JayGee said:
    drwiddly said:
    Beexter said:
    2 x 12" powered speakers 
    2 x 10" powered speakers
    15" powered sub
    2 guitars in hard case
    3 x led par cans
    2 x Mic stands
    All cables
    Collapsible trolley
    Dual guitar stand.

You should have seen what I used to I get into a Nissan K11 Micra with the seats down... :-)

Was her name Betty and was she from the local estate?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I traded my clapped out Astra in for a very well used, but still serviceable 6 seat Transit crew van. Great investment. Doesn't cost much more to run than my car in all fairness. I consider it as a very large car that I just happen to be able to get a band plus equipment in. It's been a sound investment considering that we'd be shelling out upwards of £70 for a van rental every gig. 
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    We run a Volvo V70 and a Citroen Xsara Picasso and the Citroen would be a perfect giggling car.  Rear seats come out really easily and it then becomes a smallish van! Moved a large two seater sofa in it last week and got the tailgate closed. Loads of height in the back which is great! The V70 is good too but not so much height. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Not only a little shorter, but also quite a lot higher and usually have a shorter bonnet too, so not only are they easier to park (also partly helped by the higher driving position) but they're considerably bigger inside. Unless you're carrying an 8x10" bass cab the length isn't as useful as the height for packing in a lot of gear.
    I have all my guitar gear, the drums and the PA and a passenger in my Volvo and it's rammed to the ceiling. I would hate to go higher and shorter, I'm already paranoid enough about having an accident. 

I was hit head on by a car spinning onto my side of the road about eight years ago - we both walked away but I'd be dead if I'd had the band gear with me. 

We gig all winter in the hills of mid Wales and I know we wouldn't survive even a 50mph slide into a ditch on black ice with all that gear above and behind us - it's crazy really.