Cacked my arm feckin proper!.. now with piccie.

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Ouch. Here's to a quick and full recovery.

All the best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Pics?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Sounds grim! Hope the recovery is as speedy and painless as possible. Take care (and get someone else to do the DIY in future - you are a musician, you can’t afford such disruption to your craft!). 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks folks for all the good advice.

Currently on slow release Morphine tablets to help with the pain but not getting much sleep as I cannot get comfortable at night unless I'm sat upright.
    I tried to play my SG yesterday, what with it being light and having a thin body.. but nope.. too early to do that. Perhaps this a good opportunity to learn the position of all the notes on the fretboard.

I've got an outpatient appointment on the 26th, but apart from a sheet on physio exercises, I've not been given any advice on managing the post surgery wound and it's dressing.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Been a bad 12 months for me too, 2 broken ribs, broken humerus, frozen shoulder.  Odd that it's the musculature frozen shoulder that is the bastid - it's taking months longer than the fractures to heal. A good Osteo/Physio will be invaluable.

good luck and get well soon !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited June 2018
    Jalapeno said:
    Been a bad 12 months for me too, 2 broken ribs, broken humerus, frozen shoulder.  Odd that it's the musculature frozen shoulder that is the bastid - it's taking months longer than the fractures to heal. A good Osteo/Physio will be invaluable.

The soft tissues around the shoulder can definitely take longer to improve than the bone which, if all goes well, can be effectively as good as new within 6 weeks or thereabouts. 

Funnily enough I managed to get some shoulder jip around Christmas and like any patient I dutifully ignored it and hoped it would go away.  By March I was in pain and losing range of movement so thought I'm gonna need to sort this.  I went off on one wild goose chase with a mis- self-diagnosis, then sussed what the problems really were, changed exercises and it's actually quite impressive how quickly the pain went, strength returned, and range of movement came back.  I'm still chasing the last 5% but a massive improvement which kicked in as soon as I was loading the soft tissues in a useful way. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Jalapeno said:

good luck and get well soon !
    Had a frozen shoulder that last 5 months I sympathise is Fin agony. No sleep!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    equalsql said:
    Thanks folks for all the good advice.

Currently on slow release Morphine tablets to help with the pain but not getting much sleep as I cannot get comfortable at night unless I'm sat upright.
    I tried to play my SG yesterday, what with it being light and having a thin body.. but nope.. too early to do that. Perhaps this a good opportunity to learn the position of all the notes on the fretboard.

I've got an outpatient appointment on the 26th, but apart from a sheet on physio exercises, I've not been given any advice on managing the post surgery wound and it's dressing.

Pretty much the same as me and my dads recent surgeries. Seems like they dont like you touching, cleaning or changing it much these days. I thought that was dirty and invited infection. Call the hospital to check. They’ll usually tell you to make a nurse appointment at your gp in x amount of days/weeks to have it done. 

I had to travel miles away cos none of my local gp nurses had an appointment within 3 weeks. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Very best of luck to you. I fell out of a loft and did the very same about 16 years ago. More metal in my top left than Ozzy.

Hope recovery goes well, in my case I only got 2 physio sessions on the nhs. Probably better than most but I ended up just lifting tins of beans and soup whilst trying to get stronger. I still don't think that arm is as strong but I did make a recovery and whilst not typing this from a monogrammed helicopter, kept playing and have had a load of musical adventures since. And yes, the utter barstewards I've been in bands with since have let me help carry the Ampeg 8x10....

Onwards.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Other people will make light of this situation but I don’t find it very humerus. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's a piccie of the damage.. and yes it was and is as painful as it looks. 12 weeks on and I've got some mobility and have started trying to play again but can only do it for short periods as it starts to ache like an SOB.

https://s20.postimg.cc/vkfeig4od/IMG_20180725_103707590.jpg

I've mostly been away off the forum as I got depressed reading about guitars but without being able to play them.
    Anyways I'm back now so hope to start contributing again :)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel your pain :(...................https://imgur.com/a/CnSqkir
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome back Darth Equalsql! 

More machine now than man.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    wow, with that repair i would be elated if I could play any song again. take care!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I feel your pain :(...................https://imgur.com/a/CnSqkir
    Me too now! I'll need to get copies of my x-rays so we can have a little gallery of them all :).

@equalsql's looks the most impressive I think - is that ten screws?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

DICBM said:
    Me too now! I'll need to get copies of my x-rays so we can have a little gallery of them all :).

Eleven I've been told, two at the very top. Apparently it's  50:50 chance that the blood supply reistablishes itself to the ball joint. If it doesn't then they will need to replace the whole assembly.. cripes!
    I'll be finding that out next week... So fingers crossed  :#  
  • ICBM said:

It's at least 11 screws. If you look carefully there's two screws at the top overlapping each other ( one's been put in behind the other). You have to put plenty in as the tips of the screws have to be within the bone, otherwise they'd be going into the shoulder joint which is a bad idea. The bone in this area is relatively soft, so it's plenty of screw to maximise the hold in the bone.

The biggest problem after such surgery is the things you don't see on Xray - the injured joint lining, ligaments, and muscles, which hurt from the injury, then get tight and stiff and complain when you stretch them up again.

@ICBM. This is a bit of professional curiosity ( I've just retired from 40 years in medicine, mostly working in Orthopaedics). You said in your injury Thread that you were not getting physio. Is this just in the next few weeks to let some initial healing occur, or are you not getting any at all.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited September 2018
    equalsql said:

Apparently it's  50:50 chance that the blood supply reistablishes itself to the ball joint. So fingers crossed   
    That might make it even worse
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    ArchtopDave said:

It's at least 11 screws. If you look carefully there's two screws at the top overlapping each other ( one's been put in behind the other).
    Ah, I thought that was one larger one!

ArchtopDave said:

@ICBM. This is a bit of professional curiosity ( I've just retired from 40 years in medicine, mostly working in Orthopaedics). You said in your injury Thread that you were not getting physio. Is this just in the next few weeks to let some initial healing occur, or are you not getting any at all.
    I'm not totally sure - I've got to go back in for further assessment in four weeks. For now, I've been told I don't need physio but have been given instructions for exercises to do myself. Is this something I should be worried about? They seem to know what they're talking about otherwise...

I'll update my thread soon, I don't want to hijack equalsql's one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    ArchtopDave said:

It's at least 11 screws. If you look carefully there's two screws at the top overlapping each other ( one's been put in behind the other).
    Ah, I thought that was one larger one!

ArchtopDave said:

I'm not totally sure - I've got to go back in for further assessment in four weeks. For now, I've been told I don't need physio but have been given instructions for exercises to do myself. Is this something I should be worried about? They seem to know what they're talking about otherwise...

I'll update my thread soon, I don't want to hijack equalsql's one :).
    @ICBM     I'll PM you later, as I don't want to hijack this Thread either, and a bit of discretion would be wise.