Buying water

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    grungebob said:k
    rawk100 said:
    Alot of water companies now use hypochlorite solution, instead of chlorine gas, which is a lot safer. Depending on the quality of the raw water it is sometimes necessary to treat with both UV and secondary chlorine disinfection. The PH of RO water can be increased by adding sodium hydroxide.
    Unless you’re using very robust membranes ( or run to failure)most RO’s are very intolerant of high ORP so this rules out hypo upfront dosing unless you also include bisulphate but you probably don’t want to do that for drinking water?

my knowledge base comes largely from refinery ETPs and large scale demin plants so I don’t know the  can/cannt of the potable world. 
    Yeah the membranes certainly dont like hypo,  The potable sites I've worked on put the membranes early on in the process before any chlorine treatment. Bisulphate is used on super chloronation sites where a high level of chlorine is injected, then it receives a certain contact time with the water to ensure disinfection before the chlorine is reduced with bisulphate before going to the reservoir.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    rawk100 said:
    grungebob said:k
    rawk100 said:
    Alot of water companies now use hypochlorite solution, instead of chlorine gas, which is a lot safer. Depending on the quality of the raw water it is sometimes necessary to treat with both UV and secondary chlorine disinfection. The PH of RO water can be increased by adding sodium hydroxide.
    Unless you’re using very robust membranes ( or run to failure)most RO’s are very intolerant of high ORP so this rules out hypo upfront dosing unless you also include bisulphate but you probably don’t want to do that for drinking water?

my knowledge base comes largely from refinery ETPs and large scale demin plants so I don’t know the  can/cannt of the potable world. 
    Yeah the membranes certainly dont like hypo,  The potable sites I've worked on put the membranes early on in the process before any chlorine treatment. Bisulphate is used on super chloronation sites where a high level of chlorine is injected, then it receives a certain contact time with the water to ensure disinfection before the chlorine is reduced with bisulphate before going to the reservoir.
    Are you aiming for an orp less than 300?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    sev112 said:
    Rocker said:
    @vale the term mainland UK is not offensive in Ireland, it is the logical term for Scotland, Wales and England. 

I used to get grief from the civil servants and the odd minister on the Isle of Man when I used to use mainland - they considered the IoM to be the mainland :)
    I think it takes a special type of person to live on the Isle of Mann in the first place, so this isn’t unexpected!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    sev112 said:
    Rocker said:
    @vale the term mainland UK is not offensive in Ireland, it is the logical term for Scotland, Wales and England. 

I used to get grief from the civil servants and the odd minister on the Isle of Man when I used to use mainland - they considered the IoM to be the mainland :)
    I think it takes a special type of person to live on the Isle of Mann in the first place, so this isn’t unexpected!
    And a special type of cat ......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Buy a reverse osmosis machine (tanks etc installs under your sink). Add a mineraliser to it to add the good stuff. You'll have a small, separate tap there as well.

They're about £250 plus fitting, unless you can do that yourself. Main filters needs changing every 6mth (£30) and membrane every 18mths.

Good, clean water and much cheaper than bottled.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'd have just got used to the mains water and saved the money. It's what everyone else drinks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Going on holiday fucks me up. I always blame it on the change of water